Thread: Z3 Trunk central lock problem

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster

Z3 Trunk central lock problem

I recently noticed that the trunk doesn't lock via central locking system like the rest of the car. For example when i lock the car using the key on the driver's or passenger's door everything locks and unlocks normally except the trunk, same thing happens when i use the alarm remote. i cannot hear the trunk actuator work at all.

i bought a used actuator but still no luck, still doesn't working. i checked all the central lock fuses inside the fuse box and they are ok. next thing to check is the wiring loom, but before i rape the OEM BMW wiring loom isolation (don't want to do it) i was wondering if there was anything else to check or anything else i can do, like for example disconnecting the battery which i haven't done yet. Is there any possibility it's a trunk latch failure?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Does locking the trunk trigger the central locking of the doors?

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    no, it doesn't, locking the trunk by iserting the key in the trunk lock only locks and unlocks the trunk nothing else

My Cars
    2x 1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I have similar issue with drivers door.

My Cars
    00 M '96 Z3
    Check the comfort relay under the dash above the dead pedal. IIRC it is the blue rear relay.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...9#post26708669
    2011 Z4
    2010 MB GLK 350
    2000 M Roady
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1996 Z3

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    is it possible that this relay has anything to do with the central locking? i thought it had to do do only with the windows, i had changed this about 8 years ago.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Also check the wiring harness which runs into the trunk lid. It is a know weak point and can create many strange issues.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    i left that as a last resort, i don't want to rape the OEM wiring isolation

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregkar13 View Post
    is it possible that this relay has anything to do with the central locking? i thought it had to do do only with the windows...
    They are related.
    "The window subsystem is powered by the "comfort" relay through fuse F13. The comfort relay is controlled by the central locking module."
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...9#post26708669
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    Thanks a lot i will have a look as soon as i get some free time

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    Does anybody knows this?: IF i have the trunk open looking straight at the latch and at the same time lock the trunk with the key, should i see the latch locking? or should the trunk be closed first?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazmanian Devil View Post
    Check the comfort relay under the dash above the dead pedal. IIRC it is the blue rear relay...
    A thread on a relay and locking -- I don't know if the comfort relay and central locking relay are one and the same:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...control-module

- - - Updated - - -

I recently noticed that the trunk doesn't lock via central locking system like the rest of the car....
    A post about the trunk harness:
    https://zroadster.org/threads/boot-w...ng-issues.959/

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    thank's for helping me, these problems are the worst for me because they are really annoying and you may never find the cause, or you may have changed 20 parts first until you track down the 1 part that was faulty in the first place

However i paid a visit to BMW yesterday, and for some reason($$$) the dealership insists i should install a new latch...

i think i will have to check that wiring loom asap before moving to other costly parts.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    It was DIY Saturday today so i took the decision and ripped the BMW loom, thankfully i was right and found 3 cable torn, one thick white cabel, one thin white-blue and another thin white-brown. I soldered them back awfully (don't got this AT ALL) and taped back everything to isolate them, the result was REALLY strange. Now when i lock the trunk with the key, everything in the car locks perfectly as it should, but when i lock either doors with the key the trunk still stays unlocked! same happens if i use the alarm to lock it. Next i check the comfort relay seems to be ok (seems to be repaired although i paid for a new one ) but i have some pictures if someone sees anything i don't see.

BTW i found these plugs that are not connected to anything, perhaps someone knows what are they for?

Last edited by Gregkar13; 01-16-2016 at 09:02 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Now when i lock the trunk with the key, everything in the car locks perfectly as it should, but when i lock either doors with the key the trunk still stays unlocked! same happens if i use the alarm to lock it.
    Perhaps the trunk lock actuator is faulty. Can you hear it trying to work when you turn the key in the door, or is there no sound?
    No. 22 in RealOEM:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=CH73-USA---Z3-BMW-Z3+1.9&diagId=41_0042
    https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/67118361140/ES2612027/

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    No i cannoot hear it at all! Thankfully i have spare trunk actuator! But what are the chances i have at the same time a cutted wiring loom AND a faulty actuator? unless the actuator gone off when the wires cutted (short-circuit)

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... i have spare trunk actuator! But what are the chances i have at the same time a cutted wiring loom AND a faulty actuator? unless the actuator gone off when the wires cutted (short-circuit)
    Maybe that is what happened. Since you have a spare actuator, it won't take long to find out.

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    I changed the actuator, still same situation, trunk locks everything but everything else doesn't lock the trunk. i am starting to believe there must be more cables damaged because i only cutted on small section of the bmw harness isolation

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I changed the actuator, still same situation... i am starting to believe there must be more cables damaged because i only cutted on small section of the bmw harness isolation
    You said you cut the harness sheath at one place and found three wires completely parted:
    one thick white
    one thin white-blue
    and another thin white-brown.

It is possible that other wires are broken nearby in that harness. This post about an E39 BMW shows that can happen:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...8#post25612688
    The post also shows that the trunk lock uses a gray-yellow wire. I don't know if a Z3 is the same.

This person had the same problem as you, and was told to "meter" the wires at the actuator -- use a circuit tester to find a dead wire:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...2#post27731822

Here is another thread about your problem:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...3#post28056033

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    very helpfull info, i will check again when i got some free time and report back!

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Roadster
    I had one more cable torned, i soldered it and finally problem solved! Thank you all for your help!