Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water pump failure!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    The Stewart water pump I installed in my 530 came with a stainless steel impeller, and a lollipop.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    When I purchased my radiator I checked the dealer. That dealer said their radiator was manufactured in South Africa. Make sure when you receive your radiator that you look at it closely and determine if it was truly made in Germany.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525iA
    Was there any play in the fan?? I have a 2001 525i, and had the similar symptoms as bullard123. My serpentine did not snap, but was kicked off the pulleys. When I began the tear down process last night I noticed that the fan has some play in it moving up and down (story best way to describe it) and that doesn't seem right to me. Based on what I have read on this thread, it seems that the water pump failed, likely ceased, causing the belt to be kicked off the pulleys...

My Cars
    '02 540i 6MT
    There should be no play.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525iA
    I presume the water pump failed, caused the belt to kick off the pulleys, and the play in the fan is the proof?

My Cars
    2012 JSW 2.5
    +1 on the Stewart WP, I have had mine for years and even transferred it from my last e39 to my current e39. I also added aluminum WP pulley, brass bleeder screws, and low pressure coolant cap to improve the cooling system's reliability.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxPlanet View Post
    I also added aluminum WP pulley, brass bleeder screws, and low pressure coolant cap to improve the cooling system's reliability.
    Where did you get the pulley and low pressure cap? Which brand?
    Thanks for any help!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525iA
    Thanks for the insight, replaced everything from the water pump (the root cause), to the fan clutch, thermostat, and pulleys. Figure after 15 years and 126000 miles if I taking it apart, might as well replace it all...

My Cars
    2003 540i M Sport
    Hi guys.

I know this is a very old thread but I wanted to through something out there.

I have an 03 540i and night before last I experienced identical symptoms as the original poster. Loss of power steering, battery light, and overheating.

I waited for it to cool down and then checked the coolant - but it was just fine.

Anyway, suspecting the water pump , I took it to the dealership since I can’t do that myself.

They just told me it was the power steering pump. with p/s lines and a/c belt tensioner belt and two other belts, mass air sensor, wires etc etc. It’s gonna cost about $3000 to get all that done.

I don’t have the technical skills to know if they are taking me for a ride or not. I hate these situations. I have few choices...

Any thoughts? Is a power steering pump and misc assembly pieces really about $1000?

Thanks,
    Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveForty View Post
    Hi guys.

They just told me it was the power steering pump. with p/s lines and a/c belt tensioner belt and two other belts, mass air sensor, wires etc etc. It’s gonna cost about $3000 to get all that done.

I don’t have the technical skills to know if they are taking me for a ride or not. I hate these situations. I have few choices...

Any thoughts? Is a power steering pump and misc assembly pieces really about $1000?

Thanks,
    Bill

Parts cost at a dealer? Yes, likely. I'm seeing near $700 for the pump alone, list price that is. Many dealers charge over list for parts, as a matter of fact the last part I bought from my local dealer was a cool 50% over list price. I'm not sure from your description why you would need a MAF but if you do it's going to be close to $400, at a dealer. That's part of the way dealers make money, off parts, and in attempt to avoid comebacks they can also change anything that might possibly be related. I'm a hardcore DIY and using reputable brands it sounds like an afternoon and perhaps $650 in parts. If I didn't go to a junkyard for the P/S pump which is what I'd likely do and save $300.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    A 15yr old 8 cyl BMW and you don't DIY? You might need to stay liquid, dollar-wise. $$$. I would try hard to find a good independent mechanic; one who is experienced on 8cyl BMW's and preferably one who mostly does BMWs..I would also make sure you have the AAA gold plan with 200 miles of free towing.

you can try these to find indy shops:

https://www.bimmershops.com

https://www.bimrs.org
    Last edited by effduration; 03-23-2018 at 07:25 AM.

My Cars
    2003 540i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    A 15yr old 8 cyl BMW and you don't DIY? You might need to stay liquid, dollar-wise. $$$. I would try hard to find a good independent mechanic; one who is experienced on 8cyl BMW's and preferably one who mostly does BMWs..I would also make sure you have the AAA gold plan with 200 miles of free towing.

you can try these to find indy shops:

https://www.bimmershops.com

https://www.bimrs.org
    Sadly, no. I have moved a few times in the last few years, but mainly it’s because I just don’t have the tools, the time, or the talent. I can make sure I get proper torque on my wheel lug nuts change the plugs and do the oil, filters, but otherwise I don’t have the interest any more to learn about fixing cars.

Thanks a lot for that link - I think I found a good alternative to the dealership. Have to make a few more calls.

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveForty View Post
    I believe the quote for those parts, but I wouldn't believe the MAF bit unless it's actually messing with your fuel:air. Typically you can spray some electronics cleaner on the MAF chip to resolve any impure readings. Also, my power steering pump pulley just failed so I'm going through the whole replacement process as well. I picked up a p.s. pump on eBay for $98. Too bad the steering lines cost as much as the actual pump.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    2003 540i M Sport
    Thanks for the post. Problem for me is since I can’t do it myself, I have to trust someone else to do it.

I hate paying the dealership extra cost for what I consider to be no reason at all, however the alternative is to trust a local shop that I’ve never dealt with before. I don’t have the luxury of having a history of work done by a shop.

The guy at the alternative shop I spoke to this morning sounded good and he said they save people on average 25% versus the dealership.

I enjoy saving money, but it means I have to trust someone I’ve never dealt with.

If i know everything goes well with alternate, I can save 25% or so. However if something goes wrong, I think I’ll have a better final outcome if I go with the dealership. So maybe I will consider that extra 800-1000 $ to be insurance.

I can do many things but fixing cars ain’t one of them. And being new in town and not being in the circle of knowledge on good bmw shops doesn’t help either.

Damn. Gotta make a decision today.

Appreciate everyone’s input.
    (Y)

My Cars
    98 540i, 95 540i (dead)
    Where in NV are you located?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

My Cars
    2003 540i M Sport
    Guess my profile isn’t updated. I’m actually in North Texas. Not too far from Dallas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12