Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water pump failure!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

Water pump failure!

Guys I was driving the E39 home from work last week when I heard this funny noise coming from my car. I was almost home and it was dark so I was trying to find a place to park the car so I can take a look at it. I didn't want to hold up traffic so I put the car in neutral and coasted to a safe location.

I noticed that the battery light came on and the power steering was gone. I went back to the car the next day and also noticed that the serpentine belt was snapped which is why I got the battery light. I had the car towed to the BMW dealership and diagnosed and they told me that the water pump seized causing the failure.

They said that I was lucky because I had fan blades missing and they often can fly into the hood causing damage. They recommended that I replace the fan, fan clutch, water pump. power steering pump both idler pulleys and the serpentine belt. I guess what sucks is there is no kind of warning before the water pump seizes. It just happens.

Guess I know what I will be doing with my taxes this year

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Cars
    '11 328xiT, '01 525iT
    sorry to hear. Not sure how many miles you have on the car, but it's a given that come 100k you should be thinking about replacing anything cooling related. I think in your case, the dealer is taking advantage of you. No need to replace the power steering pump or the idler pulleys unless they are making noise.
    Last edited by olds350; 01-10-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Rodney
    '12 128 convertible
    '11 328ix touring, wife's ride
    www.thscc.com

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Maybe the dealer is not pulling op's leg, car seems like it was totally neglected....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Maybe the dealer is not pulling op's leg, car seems like it was totally neglected....
    1+,

The original poster has 1085 posts and is not aware of "Cooling Overhaul", which has been discussed here close to 1000 times?
    Sounds like a neglected car with ~150K miles.
    Last edited by cnn; 01-10-2016 at 09:13 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Actually cooling overhaul was done last summer. This car definitely has not been neglected lol. It hasn't given me any problems the 4 years I've owned it. Only bad sign of a water pump going bad that I know of is one that leaks antifreeze

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
    sorry to hear. Not sure how many miles you have on the car, but it's a given that come 100k you should be thinking about replacing anything cooling related. I think in your case, the dealer is taking advantage of you. No need to replace the power steering pump or the idler pulleys unless they are making noise.
    It has 164,000 miles on it. And yes I was thinking the same thing. The dealer just wants you to spend money on unnecessary parts. I'm only going to replace the water pump, fan and the belts. My fan clutch is not even 3 years old yet and I replaced the pulleys about a year ago when I did my belts

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    You said "cooling overhaul was done last summer", then what brand of WP was used that failed within 1 year?
    The word "cooling overhaul" has been used loosely by many people.

Bring the car home and do the following (if you are not comfortable then find a local member to help with 6-pack).
    Too bad you don't live here otherwise I can help.

Anyway at 164K, a proper cooling overhaul involves anything that has to do with the belt drive system!

Over the last 10 years, I have come to the following conclusion for the best bang for the bucks:
    - WP: HEPU $55
    - Reservoir + Cap: BMW only

- Rad hoses x2: BMW only
    - Thermostat: Wahler $55
    - Fan Clutch: Sachs only (don't touch Behr!)
    - Fan Blade: BMW only

- Pulleys x3: INA
    - Tensioner: mechanical vs hydraulic...INA
    - Belts x2: Conti only

Anyway tons of info in forums...

Don't touch URO stuff!

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    I just found out today my water pump is leaking and spraying small droplets onto the air box from all the squirting. Super frustrating because this is the second one i've had to replace within a few months...
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by RuskiE39 View Post
    I just found out today my water pump is leaking and spraying small droplets onto the air box from all the squirting. Super frustrating because this is the second one i've had to replace within a few months...
    What brand is this that leaks so soon?
    The HEPU WP I installed at 90K (in May 2006) is still fine after 10 years and 65K later. I am at 155K now.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    You said "cooling overhaul was done last summer", then what brand of WP was used that failed within 1 year?
    The word "cooling overhaul" has been used loosely by many people.

Bring the car home and do the following (if you are not comfortable then find a local member to help with 6-pack).
    Too bad you don't live here otherwise I can help.

Anyway at 164K, a proper cooling overhaul involves anything that has to do with the belt drive system!

Over the last 10 years, I have come to the following conclusion for the best bang for the bucks:
    - WP: HEPU $55
    - Reservoir + Cap: BMW only

- Rad hoses x2: BMW only
    - Thermostat: Wahler $55
    - Fan Clutch: Sachs only (don't touch Behr!)
    - Fan Blade: BMW only

- Pulleys x3: INA
    - Tensioner: mechanical vs hydraulic...INA
    - Belts x2: Conti only

Anyway tons of info in forums...

Don't touch URO stuff!
    Yes I heard URO stuff is crappy! I've read threads on here where the Uro parts didn't last long at all. Thanks I'm gonna check that HEPU brand out. The price is not bad

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely keep a eye on it. Mine had a bearing seize which locked it up. I wish I would had a visible sign like yours. I'm gonna order the parts today and hopefully have her on the road again soon

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    In the list above, I forgot to mention the radiator.
    Stick to Nissens brand if you have 6-cylinder.

My Nissens rad is now 10 years and 65K later, zero issues.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    But a lot of others have also had bad luck with the Nissens, just as I, am having good luck with my 530, and 528t with the South African Behr, 32,000 and 74,000 miles respectivly, and a lot have not. It's hit or miss. Choose one, install, pray....
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    ^ Pretty much what you said. Seems like both Behr and Nissens last about the same mileage. However, not too long ago somebody here said that BMW still sell the German made Behr radiators at the dealerships and those are the best ones. Don't know about Nissen.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    But a lot of others have also had bad luck with the Nissens, just as I, am having good luck with my 530, and 528t with the South African Behr, 32,000 and 74,000 miles respectivly, and a lot have not. It's hit or miss. Choose one, install, pray....
    The bad luck with Nissens is true for V8 engine (search for JimLev's posts).
    For M52 and M54 engines, Nissens stands the test of time!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Last year I did a cooling overhaul. Bought the complete kit from BavAuto and I think it came with the Nissen radiator. Time will tell how long it's going to last. Sadly, the kit came with the plastic impeller water pump. Oh well, shall see how long this will last.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Yeah definitely broke because once a blade breaks off the fan it can wiggle and wobble off-balance and shake the pump to pieces... Sorry that happened... You definitely probably do need all that stuff done, I would not have it done at a dealership though

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I get all my OEM parts from either parts geek.com or Bavauto.com

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    ^ Pretty much what you said. Seems like both Behr and Nissens last about the same mileage. However, not too long ago somebody here said that BMW still sell the German made Behr radiators at the dealerships and those are the best ones. Don't know about Nissen.
    I just got a BMW original German made behr radiator for my 540 from partsgeek.com for 150$ don't go to dealer for that

My Cars
    1998 528i

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    I just got a BMW original German made behr radiator for my 540 from partsgeek.com for 150$ don't go to dealer for that
    Where did you get the German made Behr from?

My Cars
    E39 530i
    you ask the answer with the quote already at your own (partsgeek.com)

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Oh .... I better check my eyesight .....

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    What brand is this that leaks so soon?
    The HEPU WP I installed at 90K (in May 2006) is still fine after 10 years and 65K later. I am at 155K now.
    I didn't do the cooling system overhaul and the last time I had the water pump changed it was under warranty. My choices are either:

Go back and pay for labor/coolant and have them replace water pump
    Buy a known high quality water pump + coolant and replace myself which I am happy to do.

Time is an issue for me, i'm working 7 days a week right now and the last thing I wanna do on my days off are car things, at the moment anyways (house stuff)
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    '02 540i 6MT
    I didn't do the cooling system overhaul and the last time I had the water pump changed it was under warranty. My choices are either:

Go back and pay for labor/coolant and have them replace water pump
    Buy a known high quality water pump + coolant and replace myself which I am happy to do.

Time is an issue for me, i'm working 7 days a week right now and the last thing I wanna do on my days off are car things, at the moment anyways (house stuff)
    Buy Stewart EMP pump then. I wish they made a comparable unit for the 540i. Thing is a beast....

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounderasu View Post
    Buy Stewart EMP pump then. I wish they made a comparable unit for the 540i. Thing is a beast....
    I'll have to look that up, thanks for the heads up.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounderasu View Post

I bought one based on comments by Mike Miller from Roundel magazine Tech Talk column. He says that BMW water pumps fail in one of two ways. Either the impeller falls apart, or the bearing fails. The EMP Stewart water pump uses a metal impeller and has a beefed up bearing, both of which should last the life of the car. I've had mine since 2012 so longevity remains to be seen, but in my mind, it's one less thing to worry about as far as the cooling system goes. It also has a lifetime warranty but you need to show proof of coolant changes every two years.
    Last edited by Dave Sal; 01-12-2016 at 12:51 AM.
    2000 528i sport
    EMP Stewart water pump
    Dice iPod adapter
    Alpine amplifiers
    MB Quart speakers
    MTX BGE12 subwoofer
    AudioControl EQL equalizer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast