Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are OEM all weather rubber mats not available for the e38? Next best thing?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il

Why are OEM all weather rubber mats not available for the e38? Next best thing?

Hi everyone,

I just joined, this is my first post. Just picked up a 2001 BMW 750il. I actually work at a BMW Dealership in downtown Los Angeles as a sales person and we just got this one in on trade, and it was in AMAZING shape. More about that later... I'll make a separate post with photos and details.

I've already ordered some OEM grey carpeted floor mats to replace the ones inside which only a mother could love if you get my drift.

I've searched high and low on this forum about OEM BMW Grey rubber mats, and all I can find is people talking about buying OEM ones pre-owned for the e38, or getting things like weather tech. The purist in me is really bothered by not being able to get Grey OEM mats that have BMW imprinted on them.

I have looked high and low via many pages of Google searches and it looks like OEM rubber mats are still available for just about every BMW from the mid 90's to current vehicles except... the e38! What gives? Why would BMW parts/accessories disclude this one car and drop mats for it, but keep going with other models of similar vintage?

What I haven't been able to verify in any posts that I have searched on this or other forums is... does anyone know if I buy the e39 (97-03 5 Series) rubber mats in Grey for the front seats, will those fit fairly well or at least close?

Here's a link of what I was thinking of buying...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...2&sr=8-2-spell

If not...

Would e53 (99-06) mats for an X5 fit better? Those are still available.

What about e83 (03-10) mats for an X3? You can get those.

Or what about the bangle-butt 7 Series that followed?

What have you guys found to be the best fit for OEM BMW all weather rubber mats that fit best in the e38 since OEM mats for the e38 are so hard to come by? Thanks for any help, links, or advice!

- PiperBMWe38

My Cars
    e38 | W124 | R129 | 452
    I've got a set of these, wouldn't go without them any more

Falls onto the category of next best thing.
    Last edited by 7E38; 01-09-2016 at 04:28 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport

My Cars
    2001 740il
    hmmm

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
    These are nice! I happened to find this burried treasure a year ago on CL but these are NLA...

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    You can use e65 mats for 740i and e66 mats for iL
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrabMafia View Post
    +1 But no rear mats. What were you using for the rears?
    2005 X5 4.8is (DD winter) * 2001 750iL (DD summer) * 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 L <> 2005 X5 3.0 * 2003 X5 4.4i * 2009 X3 3.0 * 2009 X5 3.0 * 2007 Toyota Avalon Limited

My Cars
    BMW 750il
    I'm interested in getting a set of winter mats as well?

My Cars
    e36M, 525iTA, 525i/5
    PiperBMWe38, welcome. Congrats on the excellent vehicle. Your industry connection may serve you well.

I can add I have used the bavauto mats in another vehicle. While they are not OEM, they are decent quality.
    "It's not what you buy- it's what you build" - unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by EnlightenMe View Post
    Thanks, you've been more help than most mechanics in Souther California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beitie View Post
    Yet another great post mgoods50!
    Quote Originally Posted by gorillajin View Post
    Thank you everybody who inputs here, specially mgoods50!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Extremely happy with my Weathertech mats. Unfortunately they don't make a rear set even though hardly anyone rides in the back.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    Extremely happy with my Weathertech mats. Unfortunately they don't make a rear set even though hardly anyone rides in the back.
    They have their AVM series for the rear.

My Cars
    00 750iL 01 S8 96 Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    You can use e65 mats for 740i and e66 mats for iL
    +1. That's what I did. Fits like a glove. Looks great. Hold dirt very well. Easy to clean.
    WTB the following Highline/Individual parts for my 2001 750iL in Black (updated Apr 2016):
    -front sport seat-back cushion
    -rear U.S. entertainment armrest with radio/MID/seat/phone/shade/etc controls
    -rear digital climate control with rear blower and black leather housing/console
    -glovebox and rear right 2001 LHD 750iL wood trim with flag inlay; maybe the dash pieces too
    ~
    Ryan

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Dont e60 mats work also?

My Cars
    750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by serious7series View Post
    +1. That's what I did. Fits like a glove. Looks great. Hold dirt very well. Easy to clean.
    Any pics of them fitted ?

My Cars
    00 750iL 01 S8 96 Vette
    Quote Originally Posted by MIK3750iL View Post
    Any pics of them fitted ?
    Don't have any, but I'd be happy to take some this weekend.
    WTB the following Highline/Individual parts for my 2001 750iL in Black (updated Apr 2016):
    -front sport seat-back cushion
    -rear U.S. entertainment armrest with radio/MID/seat/phone/shade/etc controls
    -rear digital climate control with rear blower and black leather housing/console
    -glovebox and rear right 2001 LHD 750iL wood trim with flag inlay; maybe the dash pieces too
    ~
    Ryan

My Cars
    01 E39, 01 E46 & E30VERT
    In my E38, I'm using the mats that i had from my old E39 in tan for the front (identical to the link you posted). I like it.
    Last edited by BRISTOW VA; 01-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il
    Okay everyone great news!

I took the plunge and ordered the OEM e39 (97-03 5 Series) all weather mats (front only) in Grey from United BMW Roswell via Amazon for $46.15 with free shipping
    PN: 82550151492
    http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Series-Gen...KSY98Q1HW1BRMB.

I also just purchased brand new OEM e38 (95-01 7 Series Long Wheel Base) carpeted floor mats (front and rear) in Grey from Passport BMW via eBay for $99.99 with free shipping.
    PN:82111469520
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-Gray...BTqvcb&vxp=mtr

Mats arrived from both places within a day of each other in original packaging (forgot to snap a photo of the carpeted mats before I opened them, and put both sets in my 750il. Very happy to report the all-weather mats for the 5 Series fit like a glove!

I figured they might. Working as a sales person for a BMW dealership for the last 3.5 years and sometimes you sell a car and the mats are missing, and you're down to the last car of a certain model left in stock. You have to find a quick solution and grab mats from a similar sized BMW but a different model, a lot of the time they're very close in size, and you can make it work in a pinch.

Same holds true here! I'll post photos below for you to compare for yourself. Super happy to have OEM BMW mats carpet and rubber inside my baby!

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go!
    OEM Packaging for e39 5 Series All Weather Mats

Driver Side Mats Side by Side

Driver Side Mats Stacked (note all weather is just a little longer at the top, but that doesn't stop it from fitting perfect!)

Passenger Side Mats Side by Side

Passenger Side Mats Stacked (Note all weather happens to be just a tad shorter, but again snug perfect fit!)

Driver Side Carpeted Mat In the Car

Driver Side All Weather Mat In The Car

Passenger Side Carpeted Mat In The Car

Passenger Side All Weather Mat In The Car

My Cars
    e36 M3/4/5, 08 M5 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 7E38 View Post
    I've got a set of these, wouldn't go without them any more

Falls onto the category of next best thing.
    same here, love them!

My Cars
    750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by serious7series View Post
    Don't have any, but I'd be happy to take some this weekend.
    That would be great. Thank you

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by PiperBMWe38 View Post
    Okay everyone great news!

I took the plunge and ordered the OEM e39 (97-03 5 Series) all weather mats (front only) in Grey from United BMW Roswell via Amazon for $46.15 with free shipping
    PN: 82550151492
    http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Series-Gen...KSY98Q1HW1BRMB.

I also just purchased brand new OEM e38 (95-01 7 Series Long Wheel Base) carpeted floor mats (front and rear) in Grey from Passport BMW via eBay for $99.99 with free shipping.
    PN:82111469520
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-Gray...BTqvcb&vxp=mtr

Mats arrived from both places within a day of each other in original packaging (forgot to snap a photo of the carpeted mats before I opened them, and put both sets in my 750il. Very happy to report the all-weather mats for the 5 Series fit like a glove!

I figured they might. Working as a sales person for a BMW dealership for the last 3.5 years and sometimes you sell a car and the mats are missing, and you're down to the last car of a certain model left in stock. You have to find a quick solution and grab mats from a similar sized BMW but a different model, a lot of the time they're very close in size, and you can make it work in a pinch.

Same holds true here! I'll post photos below for you to compare for yourself. Super happy to have OEM BMW mats carpet and rubber inside my baby!

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go!
    OEM Packaging for e39 5 Series All Weather Mats

Driver Side Mats Side by Side

First, let me say great update...this is the way to add value to a thread.

Now, the million dollar questions...did both sets of floor mats come with mat anchors (carpet mats) & hooks (all weather mats)....or are they sold separately item? If you did get the mat anchors...do the holes in the floor match up with the openings in the e39 all weather mats?

And an FYI for those with the pre facelift e38s that originally had the "snap-on" mat anchors. If you get the new carpeted floor mats, you'll have to switch over to the Velcro type mat anchors because the new mats don't have a receiving female snap (w/hole) like our original mats did. The Velcro anchors get inserted into the floor the same way...but you have the Velcro "disk" that gets anchored to the floor, and a Velcro patch that gets adhered to the underside of the carpeted mats.

{Velcro anchors used with the new style carpeted mats}

{hook anchors used with BMW all weather (rubber) mats}

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-16-2016 at 03:09 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    BMW 750il
    I can not wait to see the picture of the all weather mats in your 750il
    if they look good I'm going to buy aswell! Thanks for the update

Quote Originally Posted by PiperBMWe38 View Post
    Okay everyone great news! I took the plunge and ordered the OEM e39 (97-03 5 Series) all weather mats (front only) in Grey from United BMW Roswell via Amazon for $46.15 with free shipping PN: 82550151492 http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Series-Gen...KSY98Q1HW1BRMB. I also just purchased brand new OEM e38 (95-01 7 Series Long Wheel Base) carpeted floor mats (front and rear) in Grey from Passport BMW via eBay for $99.99 with free shipping. PN:82111469520 http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-Gray...BTqvcb&vxp=mtr Mats arrived from both places within a day of each other in original packaging (forgot to snap a photo of the carpeted mats before I opened them, and put both sets in my 750il. Very happy to report the all-weather mats for the 5 Series fit like a glove! I figured they might. Working as a sales person for a BMW dealership for the last 3.5 years and sometimes you sell a car and the mats are missing, and you're down to the last car of a certain model left in stock. You have to find a quick solution and grab mats from a similar sized BMW but a different model, a lot of the time they're very close in size, and you can make it work in a pinch. Same holds true here! I'll post photos below for you to compare for yourself. Super happy to have OEM BMW mats carpet and rubber inside my baby! - - - Updated - - - Here you go! OEM Packaging for e39 5 Series All Weather Mats Driver Side Mats Side by Side Driver Side Mats Stacked (note all weather is just a little longer at the top, but that doesn't stop it from fitting perfect!) Passenger Side Mats Side by Side Passenger Side Mats Stacked (Note all weather happens to be just a tad shorter, but again snug perfect fit!) Driver Side Carpeted Mat In the Car Driver Side All Weather Mat In The Car Passenger Side Carpeted Mat In The Car Passenger Side All Weather Mat In The Car
    Most helpful post of the year award goes to you sir! And it's only January!

My Cars
    BMW 750il
    Hey guys i did some digging and picked up a pair of e39 front grey mats off amazon and some rear e39 ones from a dealer in west suburbs of chicago.
    The dealer explained to me that they did make e38 OEM rubber mats but they were much thinner and only came in black. there is a picture here earliy in the thred.
    I hope this answers everyones question

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Just an additional FYI...yes, e38 mats used to be available that were e38 specific (and anthracite in color)...as apparent by the image from the parts database below & pics of the e38 rubber mats I ordered from the Euro side of the part database back in 2003...and still use in my e38 13 years later.

There was only 1 part nbr for the front...but there were 2 part nbrs for the rear. The LWB "iL" models required longer rear mats vs the SWB "i" models. There were also the colored rubber mats (gray/sand/black) that could be picked up at the local BMW dealerships parts department:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_4595

{Original BMW e38 front passenger rubber mat}

{Original BMW e38 front driver's rubber mat}

{Original BMW e38 LWB rear rubber mats}

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-22-2016 at 11:32 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    750iL
    I made the mistake and didn't check Lhd and Rhd so now I have a brand new set of oem front rubber mats in LHD and it won't fit my RHD car

bugger !!

if anyone interested I can sell them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast