Thread: Rough Idle and Misfire- INPA Fuel trims

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i

Rough Idle and Misfire- INPA Fuel trims

I have absolutely no idea what I am looking at, other than it looks weird. Any ideas on what this means? I have a rough idle and misfire when at idle and the car is warm/hot. 6 months ago a mechanic said the car wasn't leaving open loop.

IMG_6863.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    The first picture looks absolutely fine. It's your O2 sensors and the Additive (STFT) and Multiplicative (LTFT) fuel trims for Banks 1 and 2. The last charts at the bottom are the LTFT. The ones just above it are the STFT.

the second picture is only part of the page - Note that INPA sometimes doesn't report the correct numbers on this page - with the MAF, air flow etc... If you want to see what is running rough, I believe that it is <F6> in status that shows the roughness index for each cylinder.

But why don't you go into <F1> for error codes and see what is really wrong - i.e. it will tell you which cylinders are misfiring.
    Last edited by gmak; 01-08-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    The first picture looks absolutely fine. It's your O2 sensors and the Additive (STFT) and Multiplicative (LTFT) fuel trims for Banks 1 and 2. The last charts at the bottom are the LTFT. The ones just above it are the STFT.

the second picture is only part of the page - Note that INPA sometimes doesn't report the correct numbers on this page - with the MAF, air flow etc... If you want to see what is running rough, I believe that it is <F6> in status that shows the roughness index for each cylinder.

But why don't you go into <F1> for error codes and see what is really wrong - i.e. it will tell you which cylinders are misfiring.
    No codes stored or pending. I'll check the roughness index. I did clear adaptions and it seemed to fix it for now...

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know how I can make this english?
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    E38 740iL
    Hi I want to ask in this post about furl trims In literetaure i found that STFT is multplicative,and LTFT is additive,a this is true? Because here in forum I think,that someone says wrong,thay STFT is additive and LTFT is multiplicative?:o and lambda integrator is STFT whats happening right now,yea?

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    LTFT is what the DME is doing to every drop of gas all the time. It is an adjustment to compensate for errors in airflow and fuel flow data (ie the DME thinks it's putting in 1 g/s but the injectors are only doing 0.95 g/sec - not real figures just an example). The STFT is a 'right now' adjustment to reflect changing conditions. Mine goes back and forth over zero (ie negative to positive) depending on the load on the engine and the driving condition.

SO, LTFT is likely multiplicative - ie the DME knows to release 105% of the fuel (or only 96% of the fuel) that the data table tells it to to compensate for mechanical error. The STFT is additive. The DME listens to the O2 sensors which say add a bit more or subtract a bit more fuel because nothing is perfect in this analog world and little adjustments are always needed. If the DME finds that it is always doing the same STFT, then the LTFT gets adjusted so that the STFT goes back to cycling around zero.

Does this help?

(Also, there is some literature out there that is just wrong).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dk500 View Post
    Do you know how I can make this english?
    There should be a DIY around on how to do it. IIRC, it involves INPA.ini; OBD.ini; You need Language to be ENGLISCH (Note spelling), and Variante to be ENGLISH (note spelling). This assumes that yuu have all three sets of data files, german, english and english metric.

My Cars
    E38 740iL
    Yes,this is help My engine m62b44 and it runs perfectly on cold and warmed upIn my situation I have a additive(STFT) postive,its about 8-10,but my multiplicative(LTFT) is -10.Why ita condtradicting? Short term is add fuel,but for long term no need fuel,and why short term dont go to the base point(around 0) I know,thats if values contradics,then maf sensnor faulty,thats true? Also what values is good? I know that perceft is when is about 0,but if values goes around -8 to +8 thats normal,or thats bad?

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Multiplicative is showing that you are running rich. You have too much fuel for the amount of air, and your ECU /DME reduces the amount of fuel continuously. As I've said to you in PMs, the STFT will vary. The fact that the STFT is positive now shows that the LTFT will become less negative (if the STFT stays at his level). WHen the LTFT is where it should be, the STFT will be closer to zero.

My Cars
    E38 740iL
    I understand what you say,but thats is strange for me My LTFT is negative,and I udrestand that now my ecu MAPs is need to be leaned,because engine runs so rich(in short,now engine runs on less fuel map) but my STFT whants add fuel,why? LTFT greats new map with less fuel(values -8 -10) but STFT trying to rich mixture:/
    http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...re_Adaptations here shows,that when values contradicts,then sometimes can be faulty maf sensnor,thats true

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Uninstall your INPA German and select English(UK) as the language setting during the install. I've reinstalled mine before with English US but everything referenced is always metric so I went back to UK.

My Cars
    E38 740iL
    ^?

My Cars
    06 BMW 325i
    Hi PiotrC70
    Could you help me how to change my inpa in German to English please. I currently have the German version and have no idea what I'm looking at.

Thank you

My Cars
    1997 540i6, 2009 135i
    +1

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

o 1997 540i6 o Dinan supercharger system o Dinan stage 3 suspension system o Dinan wheels o UUC EVO3 SSK/DSSR o SS Headers o M-Tech illuminated shifter o M5 3.62 LSD o Cubic trim o Gauge rings o OEM In-dash CD o Ultimate pedals o Hella AE's o M-Sport Steering Wheel o 400 RWHP o A/W intercooler o Killer Chiller