Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Tape marks in clear coat

My Cars
    2001 325i

Tape marks in clear coat

I want to see if anybody knows of a product to help out on a little problem.

I just noticed under the right lighting that some body/paint work that was done in the past (lets say year ago) you can see where the masking tape was put down. Now before I call the body shop becuase I am pissed about it I just wanted to ask anybody if they know of a product that can get ride of this. Any ideas?????

I have tried in a small area taking some mother's wax cleaner and buff it out. Does nothing becuase it appears to be in the clear coat.

thanks,

JB

My Cars
    M3/4
    Try 3M adheasive remover - just remember to rewax afterwards. It will strip the wax. You could also try clay. If it's under the clearcoat (meaning they taped the basecoat and didn't clean it properly before spraying on clear), you're screwed. It'll have to be wetsanded down to the level of the marks then resprayed.

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Thanks,

that is what I am affraid of. I will be in touch with the body shop but since a decent time frame has passed I am probably screwed.

JB

My Cars
    M3/4
    Timewise, it shouldn't matter. If it's on the paint layer, it's a prep issue. THEY sealed it in. What did you have it in for? Was it an accident (ie insurance paid)? If so, some of the insurance co's (Progressive for sure) offer a "lifetime" warranty on the repair. DuPont certified shops also have a lifetime warranty. As long as the shop's still in business, you should be able to get something done.

My Cars
    Boring E36
    JB this is exactly what happened to my dads car after he got rear ended. They taped the window off when they were painting the rearend.When they were removing the tape you can see where the guy tried taking off the tape. Then tried to cover up the marks with clearcoat. Guess what shop did the work? BMW of San Francisco.

My dad took it back and they repainted the entire trunk lid. If I were you bring it back to the shop that did the work and complain. If it was through the insurance company tell your insurance company and they will most likely stop dealing with the shop for doing bad work.

-LWRNCE
    U MAD?

My Cars
    2001 325i
    Thanks for the advise.

I bought some clay and am going to try that approach first. A friend of mine said he was able to feel the marks. Said clay will make your car look better than new.

So that is what i am going to spending my 4th of july doing since my wife is working.

thanks again

JB