Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to refill the liftgate pump on an E60 - Tailgate not opening fully

My Cars
    1987 M6
    If it isn't leaking now, I don't see a problem. They don't seem to leak from the reservoir. The symptoms say fluid change to me.

Jose

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530xi wagon
    Thanks Jose,

I hope you right. I'll try to do your trick just need to order everything first! I'll get back with the result when its all done!

My Cars
    BMW E61 2007 550i
    Hi,

Is there anyone here who knows what kind of symptoms
    the tailgate gets if the amount of oil is slightly above the + symbol?

Was going to attach a photo, but didn`t understand anything about the "URL-stuff...."

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530Xi and 2001
    Hi Jose
    I have 2006 530 Xi (wagon) with 146,000 miles and I have been suffering with the tailgate problem for last 12 months. I will try your solution once it warms up a bit in Michigan later this year. Based on your notes, I checked and looks like your solution should fix the problem. Will keep you posted. Thank you for providing excellent details on how to refill the oil.
    Thank you to Jon325iT too for add more details and pictures.

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    I will be ordering my oil this weekend. My 2008 535xi needs this terribly.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Also beware that at the top of the hydraulic strut is a distance sensor, the sensor reads the distance as the hatch opens. This sensor can fail, so the hatch only opens halfway, because the sensor is sending the signal that it thinks it is fully open. The sensor travel can be read with autologic

My Cars
    BMW 535xi
    HI All,
    I just wanted to send a big THANKS to dahose for posting this. I just did it to my 2008 535xi. It wouldn't open on really cold days. The strap wrench helped too - thanks for the tip.
    One more thing to add-I got 1/4"ID hose, this it TOO big. You need 1/4" hose with .170" ID.

Again - THANKS!!! I haven't tried it it really cold weather yet, but my reservoir was almost empty, with a stain under it. I hope I get a few more years out of this.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Another $800 - $1000 saved! WOOHOO!!!!

Now go get some beer and barbecue with those savings.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 01-24-2017 at 01:07 AM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    BMW 535xi
    Related problem? I refilled the reservoir, it seems to be workign better. Now the top part of the hydraulic arm keeps popping off the ball joint. I imagine there is some small spring or something that is supposed to hold it in. Any ideas?

My Cars
    BMW 535xi
    Turned out the ball of the joint was worn out. I replaced this, and seems to be working properly again, I think.

My Cars
    07' 530xi Touring
    Well done write up. Serviced mine the moment hydraulic oil arrived. It's nice to have the tailgate operational.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Sweet! Another win for the little guys!

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    BMW 530XiT
    I just want to thank Jose (aka DaHose) for this post. You Sir are a Genius! Saved me a lot of time with your method. Thank You!

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Glad it helped you.

José
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    02 325it, 06 530xit
    Thanks for this. New e61 owner here (previously had an e46 wagon). So this is kind of a double edged sword for me... I followed the guide and was able to fix the hatch lift problem but now I think the wiring may have broken because its throwing all sorts of warnings related to hatch lighting (plate bulbs, reverse light etc). Im guessing the hatch wiring is broken... any DIY to cover fixing it on here?

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Oy! If you have the dreaded broken harness, that will be a bugger to fix.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    07' 530xi Touring
    I had to do the harness on my e39. Best not to put it off as to avoid any further wiring damage.

My Cars
    e61 3.0 d
    Good morning from Italy!

I am thinking to replace fully the hydraulic oil of the tailgate motor, and not just add the missing portion up to level.
    Does anyone know the amount of oil needed for full replacement? (I have easily available 100 ml, but may be is not sufficient).

Thanks,

Andrea

My Cars
    2007 530xi Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon325iT View Post
    Procedure notes:
    Removing the old fluid from the pump/lines: I attached 1/4 inch inner diameter tubing. That diameter of tubing fit well but could have been tighter. I cycled the door up and down (I first activated the pump - pushing the button on the tailgate. I also tried to just manually open and close the tailgate). Very little fluid came out and it didn't suck up the clean fluid like I wanted. Not sure what I did wrong here. The tubing could have been tighter like a said. Might have to prime the pump by using a syringe on the clean side and inject fluid in? Not sure.

I had the same problem with the pump not drawing in the clean fluid. I noticed that the 1/4" ID (inner diameter) tubing seemed a bit too loose around the pump intake.
    Using calipers, I measured the pump intake to be 5.0 mm diameter and decided to get some 3/16" (4.76mm) ID clear vinyl tubing for a tighter fit. The 3/16"
    sed calipers to measure the diameter of the pump intake. I also used a plastic zip tie to clamp the hose tightly to the pump intake. With this setup, the pump finally could draw in the clean fluid.

I just fixed my liftgate by following the instructions in this post. Thanks Jose and Jon for the detailed writeups and photos!

I'm in the San Jose, CA area. I have some leftover fluid. Message me if interested.
    Last edited by waddles; 05-07-2017 at 10:01 PM.

My Cars
    2007 530Ti sport wagon
    I got frustrated trying to remove the reservoir, so decided to do this the easy way. I drilled a small pin hole in the reservoir and filled it to the full mark (+) with a very small gauge needle attached to my marinade injector. I replaced the clamp with a much wider one that actually covers the hole I drilled. Tail gate works fine now. We'll see how long it lasts. Now I have to put all this krap back together again. IMG_0631 (900 x 675).jpgIMG_0632 (900 x 675).jpgIMG_0633 (900 x 675).jpghyd. res.jpg

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xiT
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Cannon View Post
    I got frustrated trying to remove the reservoir, so decided to do this the easy way. I drilled a small pin hole in the reservoir and filled it to the full mark (+) with a very small gauge needle attached to my marinade injector. I replaced the clamp with a much wider one that actually covers the hole I drilled. Tail gate works fine now. We'll see how long it lasts. Now I have to put all this krap back together again. IMG_0631 (900 x 675).jpgIMG_0632 (900 x 675).jpgIMG_0633 (900 x 675).jpghyd. res.jpg
    is there a reason you took apart half the car? i suppose it doesnt matter now, but for future reference you can dismount the pump without taking out any trim. the top bolt is a pain but it can be reached with standard tools. im not sure i would want a hole in the reservoir - dont you think the fluid would slosh around during driving a seep out over time? maybe a small piece of a wide rubber band under the new clamp over the hole would provide some extra insurance against leaks.

My Cars
    2007 530Ti sport wagon
    I would hardly call it taking apart "half the car". I had to take the inner panels out to get access. I also had to remove two electronic modules and move them out of the way to access the reservoir. I didn't want to dismount the pump, just access the reservoir. If the fluid level goes down again, I'll simply fill it again. I like the idea of using a piece of rubber under the clamp. If I have to service the reservoir again, I'll do that. The hole I drilled is so tiny, I don't think it will be a problem sloshing out.
    Cheers, Elliot

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I have a small update. It's been almost
    2 years since I posted this thread, and today I needed to top up the oil again. I removed the reservoir and found a really small amount of muck, so I cleaned it out. To refill, I actually did what Elliot suggested. While the reservoir was out I drilled a tiny hole that I could fill with a syringe, and a screw sealed it up just fine. I agree that leaving it open is a bad idea. It could seep, but of more concern is that it will evaporate when the car gets hot.

It was definitely a good idea to pack some paper towels under the pump. They soaked up all the oil, but theres no sticky residue on the inside. As slow as the leak has been, I am totally comfortable just refilling it again.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 11-20-2017 at 01:17 AM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 535xi Wagon
    DaHose: I'm new to the forum but I really appreciate your engagement! As it relates to the Royco 756 fluid, Amazon only carries it by the gallon and it runs about $60 including shipping. They also carry an AC-Delco product that is specifically for liftgates: ACDelco 10-5041. Only a quart and $38 on Prime, but I can't imagine needing a gallon in my lifetime. Do you think this stuff would work or am I better off not being cheap and sticking with the Royco? Thx again.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    I would not be cheap, and stick with the Royco. That is an aerospace grade hydraulic oil. On the plus side, I found a quart of Royco for $13 a quart at the link below, although it's backordered till the end of the month.

http://www.skygeek.com/royco-756-air...oaAoWjEALw_wcB

I didn't open my quart of oil up completely. I punched a hole in the side, right near the top with a nail. Then I can shake out the oil I need for a fill, and seal the can back up with a small piece of duct tape. When the job is done, put the oil away until you need it again in a couple of years. As noted in my last update, definitely remove the reservoir and clean things out, but drill a tiny hole you can fill with a syringe, and then seal it back up with a very short screw. That is a GREAT way to be able to refill in the future.

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 01-23-2018 at 01:25 AM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast