Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackknight530i’s 530i6 6-speed swap build thread

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Heheh .... even thought the swap hasn't begun yet, but I say you've already got an extra 15hp and 10lb-ft torque already.
    A complete list of parts and the price would be a great idea for future references.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-20-2016 at 07:06 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Heheh .... even thought the swap hasn't begun yet, but I say you've already got an extra 15hp and 10lb-ft torque already.

- - - Updated - - -

A complete list of parts and the price would be a great idea for future references.
    Probably just by removing the losses from the auto, whp and wtq probably do increase a bit.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Good luck with everything and it seems you have a solid plan. Opinions differ, but rowing your own gears is priceless IMO.

In case you don't already know, besides Morristown which I've been using as well, there 2 other excellent dealers:

These guys have very competitive pricing and had free shipping for whole month of December,regardless of order size. I almost pulled a trigger on driveshaft (brand new balanced driveshaft with Guido and center bearing). Philly bought it there and he was very happy:
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214697

And these guys have good deals on smaller size orders and give you option of small USPS box shipping:
    http://thebmwminipartstore.com/
    Last edited by BMW540san; 01-05-2016 at 04:30 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    Good luck with everything and it seems you have a solid plan. Opinions differ, but rowing your own gears is priceless IMO.

In case you don't already know, besides Morristown which I've been using as well, there 2 other excellent dealers:

These guys have very competitive pricing and had free shipping regardless of order size. I almost pulled a trigger on driveshaft (brand new balanced driveshaft with Guido and center bearing):
    http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...?siteid=214697

And these guys have good deals on smaller size orders and give you option of small USPS box shipping:
    http://thebmwminipartstore.com/
    I'm not listing the prices I get at Morristown because I deal directly with someone there and usually get better prices than are posted online. Thanks for the additions though. I don't mean for anyone to just take the prices I post as gospel

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Subscribed. Going to use this as a guideline for my 6 speed swap at the end of the year.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by dk500 View Post
    Subscribed. Going to use this as a guideline for my 6 speed swap at the end of the year.
    Cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Was on my phone earlier and didn't see your sig, don't you have a 540i? You would have a very different swap DIY for that. This build log is for my 530i with the I6, not V8. Just wanted you to be aware of that.

-Paul

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Cool!

- - - Updated - - -

Was on my phone earlier and didn't see your sig, don't you have a 540i? You would have a very different swap DIY for that. This build log is for my 530i with the I6, not V8. Just wanted you to be aware of that.
    I'm going to reference this when it comes to the electronic gremlins and things such as installing the shifter etc. Apart from the actual removal and bolting up to the motor, it is relatively the same, just with different files for the engine.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I'm going to reference this when it comes to the electronic gremlins and things such as installing the shifter etc. Apart from the actual removal and bolting up to the motor, it is relatively the same, just with different files for the engine.
    My point is that you're probably better off using GearGrinder's 540i 6-speed swap thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Wiring-Coding/. The reason is that not only is yours a 540i, but it's a pre-facelift/pre-vanos, which means your DME is very different and so is the wiring. I'm not trying to tell you not to use my thread as a reference, but just be aware that it's going to be quite different.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    You can refer to geargrinder's 6 speed swap thread. It has all the necessary info for the parts and all the info needed on electrical side and the coding as well, and this is for the V8.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-Wiring-Coding

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    You can refer to geargrinder's 6 speed swap thread. It has all the necessary info for the parts and all the info needed on electrical side and the coding as well, and this is for the V8.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-Wiring-Coding
    Haha, beat you to it

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Lol. I need to type faster ....

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    A swap with detailed pics and parts list? I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    A swap with detailed pics and parts list? I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!
    Well, that's what you're gonna get!

I just hope that the guys that help out take the pics, because I'm bad about doing the work and forgetting to.

-Paul

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    My point is that you're probably better off using GearGrinder's 540i 6-speed swap thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Wiring-Coding/. The reason is that not only is yours a 540i, but it's a pre-facelift/pre-vanos, which means your DME is very different and so is the wiring. I'm not trying to tell you not to use my thread as a reference, but just be aware that it's going to be quite different.
    True true true. His is bookmarked on my browser as my #1 reference. Even though this is a different model, the more references the better.
    E90 335i

E39 540i (SOLD)
    Racing

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    True true true. His is bookmarked on my browser as my #1 reference. Even though this is a different model, the more references the better.
    Agreed 👍

-Paul

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Cool project! Been interested in this since you had been posting your thoughts about it in other threads. Good luck with it Paul.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Cool project! Been interested in this since you had been posting your thoughts about it in other threads. Good luck with it Paul.
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to taking it on. Been wanting to do it for a while.

-Paul

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i
    Oooh I'm gonna love following this thread when it gets juicy!!

I was all down for ESS in the not too distant future, but it's all your fault I'm now considering an S54 swap instead - damnit! Since I'm over here I'm gonna try pay the Norwegian guy who's done it a visit and have a good butchers.

I love knowing about bellhousing compatibilities too! Would be great to know if N series engines and maybe even the diesels are compatible with the M/S54. I secretly drool about a 6HPxx or even 8HPxx swap into my car cos autos are great. I'm personally fine with manual really, but the Mrs would grumble if she had to use three pedals (even though she passed her test full manual).

With that in mind you've even got me thinking of SMG too, you git! What's the main reason you're not fitting all the SMG bits to yours? Just no desire for it, or some insurmountable technical issue (surely not)?

Darn I really need to finish boring maintenance jobs on mine, get my interior pimping finished, then move onto the oily horse-generating bits.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam79 View Post
    Oooh I'm gonna love following this thread when it gets juicy!!

I was all down for ESS in the not too distant future, but it's all your fault I'm now considering an S54 swap instead - damnit! Since I'm over here I'm gonna try pay the Norwegian guy who's done it a visit and have a good butchers.

I love knowing about bellhousing compatibilities too! Would be great to know if N series engines and maybe even the diesels are compatible with the M/S54. I secretly drool about a 6HPxx or even 8HPxx swap into my car cos autos are great. I'm personally fine with manual really, but the Mrs would grumble if she had to use three pedals (even though she passed her test full manual).

With that in mind you've even got me thinking of SMG too, you git! What's the main reason you're not fitting all the SMG bits to yours? Just no desire for it, or some insurmountable technical issue (surely not)?

Darn I really need to finish boring maintenance jobs on mine, get my interior pimping finished, then move onto the oily horse-generating bits.
    Hey Liam! The problem with the other autos is not so much the mechanicals, but the electricals. If you don't have a DME program that was meant for a 6 or 8 speed auto, it's not going to shift correctly (I don't think). You might be able to somehow get the 6-speed auto to work on a M54, but you might need to convert to a MS45 DME, which requires rewiring the engine and changing some sensors I believe.

As for the SMG, you need the S54 to be able to use it, and that just isn't in the cards right now. Also, they are known to have the pumps fail and those are expensive to replace, which is why I'm hoping to sell off the working one to offset the cost of the transmission. Also, I'd just rather have a manual

Regarding the S54, I'd really be interested to see what the Norwegian guy came up with on a few things. We all know about the oil pan modification that needs to be done, but he kind of just glossed over the cooling hose situation. Either way, it'd be good to see the engine bay on that thing to see what he really did. I'm also not 100% sure that's the route I'm going to take in the future, but it would allow for a lot more power.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S

UUC parts came in yesterday!
    Last edited by blackknight530i; 01-06-2016 at 10:08 AM.

-Paul

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    What are we looking at here? ( I really have no clue). Is it a short shifter and linkage?
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    What are we looking at here? ( I really have no clue). Is it a short shifter and linkage?
    Yes, UUC Evo3 short shifter and UUC DSSR (Double Shear Selector Rod).

-Paul

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    What does the double shear selector knob do? Does it improve shifting?
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    What does the double shear selector knob do? Does it improve shifting?
    So, if you look at the original selector rod, the rod is on one side with a couple pins sticking out, vs the DSSR being connected on both sides of the shifter. This gives you more leverage on the selector and just gets rid of any slop in the shifter. Check UUC's website for more details on it.

-Paul

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    So, if you look at the original selector rod, the rod is on one side with a couple pins sticking out, vs the DSSR being connected on both sides of the shifter. This gives you more leverage on the selector and just gets rid of any slop in the shifter. Check UUC's website for more details on it.
    100% correct!

For more details, please see:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/articles/SSK-DSSR.htm
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast