Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 1995 M3 with an S54/Mk60, California Smog Legal!

My Cars
    1990 BMW 325is
    Awesome build! Way to go doing a correct and complete S54 swap!

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Diagrams with no DSC would be neat, I could file them in my future projects doc.
    No DSC (note the question mark is for the cleaned speed signal to the DME, not 100% certain it is needed):

Barebones OBD2 compliance (note: I have not verified this, this is my best estimate):

If you're not using the Z3M cluster the swap is still possible, but I am not familiar with what is needed for OBD compliance nor if any additional wiring/hacks are needed. I know the Z3M cluster isn't needed for normal S54 swaps, nor is extra wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by cohny View Post
    If I'm understanding this right, to get everything except DSC you'll need all of the parts you mentioned except the steering column from the m54 Z3 with integrated steering angle sensor and possibly the yaw sensor. If the DSC and ABS are controlled by DSC mk60 (correct?) how exactly could the abs work with no issue if DSC is not functioning. Would special programming be required?

A diagram with no DSC would be great.

Thanks a lot for the information, this is what makes forums so resourceful.
    DSC has a few different levels of functionality depending on which sensors are present. If you unplug the steering angle sensor by itself, the DSC reverts to ABS-only mode. Similarly, if the DSC is unplugged from the CANbus, it goes into ABS-only mode. The thinking is that BMW wanted your ABS to be a standalone system in an emergency situation or loss of most power/connectivity, so this helps us greatly. For basic ABS to work you will still need most everything, but you won't need the Z3 steering column and steering angle sensor. I would still wire in and mount (under driver's seat) the yaw sensor.

DSC and ABS are different programs within the Teves Mk60, correct. You do not need any special programming; in fact, there aren't any real options available for reprogramming the DSC outside of factory parameters (but we're working on it, slowly).

Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    Nice to read. I recently got my S54 E36 on the road and am planning on getting it CA legal as well. I already have a DMTL pump & carbon canister on order.

A few questions:

-You deleted EWS, correct? I was worried about any DME changes causing the ODB2 calibration ID to change, but maybe the ref station doesn't check or care?

-Which ref station did you go to? Any tips on being prepared?

-Does your SAP valve fit well? Looks like you still have A/C lines in place.

-Did you just swap your higher-mileage coding plug to the MZ3 cluster or did you actually figure out how to change the mileage otherwise? I've heard this is possible but never read specifics on it.
    I only deleted EWS, and aligned the VIN between cluster, DSC, and DME. No other coding/reprogramming was needed. The Ref station DOES check for the VIN when they do the OBD plug in check, so it is critical the VIN on all your systems matches, even if you yourself don't know it or forget it. In other words, the DME VIN and the Cluster VIN need to be the same. This can be accomplished with OEM tools, and if you're in the bay area I can suggest the same person who helped me.

I went to the Skyline College ref station. I didn't bring any documentation aside from my title, registration, and insurance (I was also registering the car in CA for the first time, so that had more scrutiny involved). Be prepared by knowing your OEM parts diagrams and be able to justify the parts choices you made if you are prompted. Also be sure that all the parts match the chassis you're certifying as (i.e. Z3M or E46), and that the swap is spotless. The Ref gets very annoyed when there is exposed wires, loose stuff, stuff flopping around, etc. Make it look finished, professional, and like factory, and they'll be happy.

My SAP does fit. I can take another few images later today of the car, but it fits nicely. It is a tight fit though. I do still have AC lines in place, and I need to refill the refrigerant now that I think of it. I had it drained before I started the swap but that was unnecessary.

For the cluster, we actually reprogrammed the coding plug to match the chassis mileage. My existing cluster did not have the right chassis mileage, as my original cluster was...troubled, so I installed a used one and wasn't able to sync the mileage up. I didn't try swapping the E36 plug into a Z3M cluster, but the Z3M plug did not jive well with the E36 cluster we had on hand, so I'm skeptical that it will work.

If you're near SF bay area, there's a meet tonight in Redwood City that I'm bringing the car to. PM me if you're going/want details!

Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    wow!! Awesome job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon28 View Post
    This is pretty much my dream swap, thanks for posting.

Getting it BAR'd and smogged legitimately is the holy grail for us CA residents, well done sir!
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Very well done. I would love to do the e46 m3 abs system swap, but I don't care about the traction control function. The abs system on the e46 m3 ia wayyyyy better then the e36 abs system. If you could pm me whats needed for just the abs swap that would be awesome.
    The ABS stuff is well documented for a standalone install. You can buy pre-built harnesses from Epic, for example. You do need almost everything I used though: booster, master, reservoir, pressure sensors, DSC pump unit, yaw sensor.

More info here and in other threads, mostly in the track subforum and on M3F:
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...details-wanted
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-ABS-Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Das Bullitt View Post
    Beemerman5351,
    Thank you so much for this thread. I have been looking at the Teves Mk60 as a solution for when the ABS pump goes. (its $1200 new...) I like this approach, though does the cpu for the ABS sill fit in the glove box area? Also, when you plugged in the pump and added the cpu, were you able to source the connectors from BMW or another location?

Nice job!
    Thanks!

Good question. The Mk60 pump has the controller brain integrated into it, so you can remove the E36 pump and controller units. The Mk60 brain/pump is what I installed in the engine bay, and ran wires to the stock glove box location for my wheel speed sensors. The one issue is that you either need to splice into the E36 ABS harness plug (in glove box, see diagram in the first post) or de-pin the wheel speed wires from the big ~50 pin connector. There is no mating connector to buy unfortunately.

I bought the set of DSC parts with wiring pigtails so I only had to splice/solder rather than source connectors.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blatant View Post
    Great swap, thank you for sharing with us.
    Quote Originally Posted by hc1001 View Post
    Really nice work there. Car must feel great!
    Quote Originally Posted by david2991 View Post
    This is the perfect amount of photo documentation and not too much to leave the reader in the dust. Great thread thanks for sharing! Can't wait for time to pass so I can get to this swap one day.

Thanks! I hope the writeup helps!

Quote Originally Posted by earthwormjim View Post
    Honestly it looks like a lot of the sensors are required. There's quite a bit of overlap between ABS, ASC and DSC. There's a corner braking function in the ABS logic that looks at lateral forces of the vehicle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-q...p4ZzBScTA/edit

Check out that doc, goes in pretty deep detail. Page 40 gives you a break down of what functions are held under ABS, ASC and DSC.

If you ommit the CANBUS network going through the cluster, you lose warning lights.

The yaw sensor with its own dedicated CANBUS looks important to the corner braking for ABS.

The level sensors seem to be important for warning light purposes and to turn off DSC/ASC, but does not control the ABS. So I suppose that could be eliminated, but then you lose the warning light.

The brake pressure sensors seem to be required for the electronic brake force distribution, which is in the ABS control loop.
    Yup, exactly. The system also uses CAN to communicate with the DME, not just to the cluster; if that line disappears it reverts to ABS mode. Diagnostic information is separate from the CAN lines, and need to be added into the OBD port, which is how you can code out or change certain functions/parameters

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Andy325is View Post
    Awesome build! Way to go doing a correct and complete S54 swap!
    Thanks, and thank you for the awesome harness!

(in case anyone's wondering, this is Andrew of "Andrew's Harness" fame, buy his harness from this thread: HERE
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 01-09-2016 at 03:36 PM.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    I only deleted EWS, and aligned the VIN between cluster, DSC, and DME. No other coding/reprogramming was needed. The Ref station DOES check for the VIN when they do the OBD plug in check, so it is critical the VIN on all your systems matches, even if you yourself don't know it or forget it. In other words, the DME VIN and the Cluster VIN need to be the same. This can be accomplished with OEM tools, and if you're in the bay area I can suggest the same person who helped me.
    Thanks for the info! I have a few more questions/statements if you don't mind:

I'm guessing the cluster VIN match doesn't matter. The E36, Z3, and likely early E46 have the cluster on a separate K-line that isn't wired to the OBD2 connector. If the ref station didn't use the 20-pin diag port under the hood they wouldn't have been able to communicate with your cluster. I'm almost positive the cluster doesn't speak OBD anyhow.

I went to the Skyline College ref station. I didn't bring any documentation aside from my title, registration, and insurance (I was also registering the car in CA for the first time, so that had more scrutiny involved). Be prepared by knowing your OEM parts diagrams and be able to justify the parts choices you made if you are prompted. Also be sure that all the parts match the chassis you're certifying as (i.e. Z3M or E46), and that the swap is spotless. The Ref gets very annoyed when there is exposed wires, loose stuff, stuff flopping around, etc. Make it look finished, professional, and like factory, and they'll be happy.
    Your motor is from a M3, correct? Did you tell them the motor was from a Z3M? If so, did you use a Z3M VIN and flash the DME with Z3M software?

My swap is a bit different in that I'm running an E46 flash, no DSC (yet), and a stock E36 M3 cluster. I built a canbus interface board and programmed a microcontroller to run A/C and make the check engine light work. I have a Z3M airbox and was hoping it would be close enough to call it legal in CA even with an E46 M3 motor & DME VIN. I'm worried about them failing me for using a mix of E46 M3 and Z3M parts.

Update: I just noticed you used an E46 DMTL, so maybe the ref wasn't so picky about mixing parts from various S54 cars.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 01-10-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Thanks for the info! I have a few more questions/statements if you don't mind:

I'm guessing the cluster VIN match doesn't matter. The E36, Z3, and likely early E46 have the cluster on a separate K-line that isn't wired to the OBD2 connector. If the ref station didn't use the 20-pin diag port under the hood they wouldn't have been able to communicate with your cluster. I'm almost positive the cluster doesn't speak OBD anyhow.
    I'm not 100% convinced of that. We plugged into the OBD port (and wired the Z3M cluster into the K-bus) and were able to communicate with the cluster and check the VINs, and kept having issues until we aligned the VINs between the DME and cluster (and DSC just for simplicity). This had the added benefit of not confusing the INPA tools, as the computers now thought my car was a complete Z3M.

I don't know if that would be necessary with a regular E36 cluster, so YMMV. It definitely was needed on mine.

Your motor is from a M3, correct? Did you tell them the motor was from a Z3M? If so, did you use a Z3M VIN and flash the DME with Z3M software?

My swap is a bit different in that I'm running an E46 flash, no DSC (yet), and a stock E36 M3 cluster. I built a canbus interface board and programmed a microcontroller to run A/C and make the check engine light work. I have a Z3M airbox and was hoping it would be close enough to call it legal in CA even with an E46 M3 motor & DME VIN. I'm worried about them failing me for using a mix of E46 M3 and Z3M parts.

Update: I just noticed you used an E46 DMTL, so maybe the ref wasn't so picky about mixing parts from various S54 cars.
    It is from an M3 and I did certify it as a Z3M, using the VIN from my cluster. My DME has an E46 flash. I could have certified it as an M3 and taken the gamble on the airbox/harness or certify as a Z3 and gamble on the charcoal, but all the emissions components are identical between the cars (SAP, DMTL, cats, etc), so I don't think it would've really mattered.

Nice job on the canbus controller! That was my backup plan if I hadn't found the cluster. There will definitely be demand from others for that type of part.

I was worried about the slight mishmash, but the way I rationalized it was the E46 DMTL is identical to the Z3M one, just oriented differently and connected to a different charcoal canister. All the ref did was look that I have the canister and pump, and that the OBD2 monitor was functional and reported 'ready'. I would likely try using all the Z3M parts (including canister/DMTL) depending on the ref.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Can you still fit your spare tire with the DMTL & canister? I just got my E46 evap parts in the mail yesterday and the canister is much larger than I expected.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Can you still fit your spare tire with the DMTL & canister? I just got my E46 evap parts in the mail yesterday and the canister is much larger than I expected.
    Unfortunately not. I have a couple ideas and solutions though:

1. non-M E46 charcoal canister is slightly shorter and fits longitudinally in the E46 vs laterally in E46 M3, might work.
    2. Z3M S54 part fits in fender well, might be more compact inside spare tire well
    3. mount the M bits behind the spare tire well between the bumper cover and chassis metal-- I eyeballed it and this miiiight work, but only if you don't have a hitch installed. I wanted to make mine visible for the ref so I didn't pursue this.
    4. somehow combine the DMTL and the E36 spare tire canister...epoxy?
    5. mount E46 M canister above battery or on opposite side?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Unfortunately not. I have a couple ideas and solutions though:

1. non-M E46 charcoal canister is slightly shorter and fits longitudinally in the E46 vs laterally in E46 M3, might work.
    2. Z3M S54 part fits in fender well, might be more compact inside spare tire well
    3. mount the M bits behind the spare tire well between the bumper cover and chassis metal-- I eyeballed it and this miiiight work, but only if you don't have a hitch installed. I wanted to make mine visible for the ref so I didn't pursue this.
    4. somehow combine the DMTL and the E36 spare tire canister...epoxy?
    5. mount E46 M canister above battery or on opposite side?
    Thanks for the ideas. I just ordered a used Z3 canister, will let you know how it works out.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    I just got the Z3 canister and it is quite a bit smaller. The pump isn't attached and can be mounted separately. Hopefully I can fit it somewhere nicely.

Left = M3, Right = Z3

IMG_3793.jpg

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Awesome! Is that an MZ3 or regular (or is there a difference) ?

This is giving me ideas...I'd love to have my spare tire well usable again and not be worried about cargo or tools hitting the canister.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Awesome! Is that an MZ3 or regular (or is there a difference) ?

This is giving me ideas...I'd love to have my spare tire well usable again and not be worried about cargo or tools hitting the canister.
    Same canister is used on multiple Z3 models - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...4608&series=Z3. Probably all of them that use DTML (S54, M54, M52tu).

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Wow awesome!

Does anybody really have a 56k modem anymore?

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    Damn impressive job. Great work! It's always great to see projects done "correctly" and this may be the new benchmark!
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

My Cars
    M3 Saloon
    Hell yeah. I dont know if ill ever get around to doing an s54 swap but if i did this is how i would do it. Even if i lived out of state..

Thanks for paving the way for the rest lf us and sharing the knowledge bimmerman.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Same canister is used on multiple Z3 models - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...4608&series=Z3. Probably all of them that use DTML (S54, M54, M52tu).
    Hm, good point. I'll have to give that a try! I'd love to have my spare tire back.

Quote Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
    Wow awesome!

Does anybody really have a 56k modem anymore?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by QtheGenius View Post
    Damn impressive job. Great work! It's always great to see projects done "correctly" and this may be the new benchmark!
    Quote Originally Posted by hide1 View Post
    Hell yeah. I dont know if ill ever get around to doing an s54 swap but if i did this is how i would do it. Even if i lived out of state..

Thanks for paving the way for the rest lf us and sharing the knowledge bimmerman.
    Thanks!! I'm really happy with how it turned out and with how well it's been received. Was expecting a lot of "brah y u emissionz, strate pipe bcuz racekar!"

Small update, baseline dyno!

All three S54 runs with AFR (goes really rich at high RPM, maybe because stock tune?) 287/241 whp/wtq. I am a little bummed that the dyno operator didn't go below 4k, but....some data is better than no data!

SAE and AFR vs RPM

Just for grins, overlay of the stock California-compliant S54 swap vs the previous catless full bolt on S50 (no cams, but everything else). S54 is pretty awesome! Makes me glad I did the swap, smells better and is way faster.

Zoomed of same:
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 02-17-2016 at 01:51 AM.

My Cars
    96 M3 Coupe
    This thread has so much awesomeness. This maybe should be the first and only stickied S54 swap thread!

Impressive numbers from that stock S54! Especially with the catted headers on there. Kinda surprised the way your S50 lost steam after 6k though. Looks more like an S52 dyno with the stock manifold in terms of curve.
    @M3AMI
    96 BG/Magma Lux
    Mods. Lots of Mods.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Foda420 View Post
    This thread has so much awesomeness. This maybe should be the first and only stickied S54 swap thread!

Impressive numbers from that stock S54! Especially with the catted headers on there. Kinda surprised the way your S50 lost steam after 6k though. Looks more like an S52 dyno with the stock manifold in terms of curve.
    Thanks!

For the S50, I wasn't surprised. Stock cams and to some extent the headers would do that. Mods were 3" AA Race exhaust, 3.5" intake, injectors/tune, LTW Fly, and Turner Shorty headers. I didn't have cams, so some trail off was to be expected, and the Turners are biased towards midrange rather than all-out top end pull (compared to Racelands/Euro SS headers). That dyno is what first made me think of doing an S54, as there wasn't any real room to go with the S50 that wouldn't turn it into very annoying on the street. It also put into perspective how much more responsive the S52 is to modifications vs the S50, which is really odd-- same (exact) mods on a friend's S52 did nearly 250whp. So....S54 it was!

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Do you have a picture of the yaw rate/lateral acceleration sensor mounting? I'm unclear on the proper orientation. Thanks.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Awesome build.

Warning: Lots of large-ish images. 56k will not be happy!
    It's 2016 who still uses a 56k modem?

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Do you have a picture of the yaw rate/lateral acceleration sensor mounting? I'm unclear on the proper orientation. Thanks.
    I don't, actually. I might be able to snap a picture this weekend if I can get at it easily. What I did was google search a ton of e46 m3 images for orientation and location, but since my fab skills aren't fantastic, I ended up having TCDesign weld it in place per their recommendation (since they do the Mk60 swap a lot). It's under my driver seat and carpet, but I'll see if I can get an image this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveWalrus View Post
    Awesome build.

Thanks!

I have a big update brewing that will hopefully be ready next week, but as a teaser:

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Sub'd you've done excellent work! Feel free to check my S54 swap thread and make recommendations haha!

My Cars
    4Runner/911
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveWalrus View Post
    Awesome build.

I'm using a 33.6K.
    1988 911 - Carb'd - Twin Plug - 3.6
    1999 SL 500
    2016 4Runner TEP - Gone
    1995 M3 - LS2 - Gone
    1998 M3 - Gone
    1991 M5 - Gone
    1993 RS America - Gone
    1995 M3 - Gone

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
    I'm using a 33.6K.
    That is Awesome.

My Cars
    M3
    Im trying to decide if it's worthwhile to go the extra mile for smog legality. Especially considering I will for sure use a CSL airbox.

What at did you do after going csl airbox?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by OptionlessM View Post
    Im trying to decide if it's worthwhile to go the extra mile for smog legality.
    I think it is worth it even though I had quite the hassle with mine. I'd rather have the hassle upfront and not have to worry about a "special" smog every 2 years.

If you do go legal PM me - I'm the first person I know of that had to prove the DME was 100% stock and had CVNs that matched the calibration IDs, I can help with this.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    I think it is worth it even though I had quite the hassle with mine. I'd rather have the hassle upfront and not have to worry about a "special" smog every 2 years.

If you do go legal PM me - I'm the first person I know of that had to prove the DME was 100% stock and had CVNs that matched the calibration IDs, I can help with this.
    I agree entirely. My plan with the CSL airbox is to swap the OE US stuff back on if the shops around here care, knowing that it'll pass that way without any issues.

Definitely PM gpeterson on the DME stuff. My BAR ref didn't raise a fuss about the DME flashing and CVNs (and to be honest I haven't looked at them at all), so I can't help there. The only DME thing that I did was code out EWS, and I have the EWS modules to use if that becomes/had been an issue in my case, so probably wouldn't have been an issue. My ref did check that the VINs were flashed to all the right modules and were in agreement with each other and with what vehicle I was certifying as, but he didn't go further than that.

Smog legality, DME/CVN stuff aside, is pretty easy nowadays. Gpeterson's CAN controller gets you the CEL, Andrew's harness gets you the plugin checks, so all you need to do is run factory US headers, install a E46 M3 secondary air pump, Z3M airbox and filter tube, and the DMTL/charcoal canister. Boom, done, emissions legal once you wire it up and code/align the modules appropriately. Functional DSC was waaaaaay more difficult and involved than emissions legality was.
    Last edited by Bimmerman535i; 04-25-2017 at 01:31 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast