Thread: Rebuilding my fuel system

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Convertible

Rebuilding my fuel system

So I finally got around to it. I started just before Christmas. Had my money all lined up to do a complete fuel system rebuild. I pulled off the injectors (bought new this past summer), WUR (new rebuilt from a year ago),and the fuel distributor and sent them off to CIS flowtech for rebuild.I went ahead and dropped both fuel tanks and sent those off to the radiator shop for cleaning, relining and painting. I hit Bavarian auto sport and bough the in tank lift pump, new fuel filter. That lift pump must be made with solid gold bushings to cost $400! So my tanks are back looking all spiffy and this past weekend I put them all back up under the car. All new vapor line rubber, hose between tank halves and the filler tube and tank, and new clamps, orings, etc. Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Flowtech CIS. Impatiently I might add. After the rebuild of the WUR and distributor this fuel system is new or rebuilt from ship to stern including both fuel pumps, accumulator, check valve, etc. I am hoping this will restore some power, improve my fuel economy, and fix the idle issues I have been having. This car sat up in a barn from 1996 to 2014. When I talked to the tank guys they said they cleaned about an eighth of an inch of shellac and crud of the bottoms of the tank. I am guessing this means the fuel distributor was in a bad way as well. Has anybody else here dealt with Flowtech CIS? Does anybody know what their turnaround times are? I can;t get them to call me back to save my life and every time I call them they tell me they will call me back in a few minutes but then don't. My wife is about to drive me crazy wanting to know when I will get it back on the road so she can get her car back. ( ) Any expereinces with CIS flowtech out there?

My Cars
    e21, e30 m3. e46 330ci
    probably should just buy your wife a new car.
    Tom D

77 e21 - m42
    88 e30m3
    04 330 dinan3
    84 r1000rt
    02 r1150rs
    all of them gray
    14 f800gsa - red headed stepchild!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Is that the one in Alabama?
    If so, a quick search reveals folks raving about how good they are/were

$400.00 lift pump?
    Tbd

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    Did you get quotes from FlowTech on the cost of rebuilding your WUR and FD? Please give us a review once your parts get back. John

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Convertible
    Yeah the in tank pump. I call it a lift pump because it functions a lot like a lift pump on a diesel engine. Basicly just pulls fuel while the fuel pump actually builds the pressure for the injection system. On a diesel the lift pump just gets it form the tank to the injection pump. Yeah I already got the wife a car! I'm driving it now which is why shes a bit cranky! My normal car I would drive otherwise is a 2004 Toyota Matrix however the 5 speed manual tranny just blew the differential bearings and I need to replace that now. (Not enough hours or money in a day lol) I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I hear the guy has all the Bosch equipment, can get parts for the distributors that are unobtainable otherwise, and that Bosch actually sends their Automotive tradition stuff to him for rebuild. When I called and got voicemail the lady in the message sounded german. It was a bit strange. lol

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by misterguitar View Post
    Yeah the in tank pump. I call it a lift pump because it functions a lot like a lift pump on a diesel engine. Basicly just pulls fuel while the fuel pump actually builds the pressure for the injection system. On a diesel the lift pump just gets it form the tank to the injection pump. Yeah I already got the wife a car! I'm driving it now which is why shes a bit cranky! My normal car I would drive otherwise is a 2004 Toyota Matrix however the 5 speed manual tranny just blew the differential bearings and I need to replace that now. (Not enough hours or money in a day lol) I'll let you guys know how it turns out. I hear the guy has all the Bosch equipment, can get parts for the distributors that are unobtainable otherwise, and that Bosch actually sends their Automotive tradition stuff to him for rebuild. When I called and got voicemail the lady in the message sounded german. It was a bit strange. lol
    I and others are aware of the pump terminologies , it's the 400 dollar price tag I'm confused about...
    Tbd

My Cars
    1982 E21 BMW 320i
    Hey you know those in-tank pumps are available on Amazon for like $118
    1982 320i E21 Coupe, Manual, Cashmere Metallic, 162K+ miles (Daily Driver)
    1997 318i E36 Sedan, Manual, Black, 388K+ miles (RIP)

My Cars
    e21 320i e60 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard View Post
    Hey you know those in-tank pumps are available on Amazon for like $118
    link please?! im about to buy the same $390 some odd one i believe this guy is talking about

My Cars
    '83 323i, '82 320i, '06 mazda5

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

The picture is incorrect, this is what it looks like

Works just as well with Lifetime warranty, $115 plus, I installed the above Airtex in tank fuel pump, when I installed a new Main Fuel Pump 1 1/2 yrs ago, also dropped in new Fuel accumulator as old one was gone with the wind, everything works well.

CISFlowtech is run by Larry, he has a very good reputation, I have talked to him.

I got my Warm Up regulator rebuilt by Bob(owner) at Fuel injection Corporation, 18 Mo warranty all new parts. Bob rebuilds Bosch ECUs for 80-83 BMW e21, his employee diagnosis mine and reset fixed it, His wife K(C)athy answers the phone,Tracy, Ca, Bob has a very good reputation as well. I also tested the CIS system and checked the specifications of the WUR and Fuel Pump Pressure,ect,all good in specifications.

So Bob rebuilds fuel pumps,Fuel Distributors, ECU's and WUR for our cars,,Happy New Years to you and yours...

https://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/

Phone: 925-371-6551

Yes 77-79 E21 owners FIC can rebuild your WUR,FD,and Fuel Pump too with new parts and bench test them thru a machine for fuel flow and make adjustments to get into specifications .

Larry at CISFlowtech rebuilds FD's and WURs

http://www.cisflowtech.com/

(251) 929.3771

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 01-05-2016 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    well I had an issue with the fist pump I bought and looked like ^. Then they sent a replacement that looked like the sale photo. Same part number so idk why I got one of each design.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18
    Airtex makes 2 models of the same in tank fuel pump, would be my 2 cents. One that looks like the original VDO(siemens) and one Airtex made on its own.

lol

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 01-05-2016 at 11:59 AM.

My Cars
    1983 320is S52/2003 VR6T
    Hey it work and that is all I ask of it

My Cars
    1996 Z3 Convertible
    Well the one I had WAS still working. But the screen part was attached to case a part that fell off the bottom. Then the pump wheel fell out. I had pondered gluing it back together but I could not find the little plastic pump impeller. I had already glued it back together once. I did talk to Larry this AM. The distributor had been rebuilt. he said it had been gunked up in varnish pretty bad and a note had been attached to tell me to check my tanks for varnish! (The radiator shop cleaned out a TON of it!) He said he will b calibrating it this week and also rebuilding my WUR and calibrating it. Looks like I should get it back next week if all goes well. I wish I had seen the $115 in tank pump! Although I am hoping this one made by VDO will last almost 30 years like the original. I also got a NOS Bosch ignition module, Thermo time switch, and a brand new fuel pump relay that showed up today. I'm hoping she will run like a million bucks after this!