Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Resolution, watch the PROFANITY and NO posting For Sale here

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

2023 Resolution, watch the PROFANITY and NO posting For Sale here

Hope all of you had a nice Christmas and New Years.
    As we start into 2021 we intend to keep this forum as clean and proper as possible......so read on.

Seems like some of you just don't think the rules apply to you. I'm done with editing out profanity, deleting For Sale posts, etc. and just telling you it's not allowed. There are only a few that this apply to so don't be surprised when you get a warning or are sent to Time Out for 7-10 days.
    THE RULES OF THE ROAD......
    Some people/users have a hard time understanding the rules of the road so here is a summarized version of our standard rules. This is a basic overview, some individual forums have additional rules which are stuck at the top of each forum as well, so you may want to stop and read those as well.

* Respect one another ... we are grown adults.
    * Welcome newcomers ... be nice to the newbies.
    * Agree to Disagree ...
    * Don't attack each other ... learn to get along with others or learn how to ignore them (either way, no fighting)
    * No posts aimed at embarrassing, harassing, creating problems, belittling or otherwise designed to make others unwelcomed.
    * No commercial sales unless you are a supporting vendor or have received authorization.
    * Everything (content and images) must remain PG rated
    * No useless posting or wasting forum resources.
    * No linking to competitive sites
    * No linking to images on unapproved sites
    * No profanity or likeness thereof.
    * English... What you are typing must make sense, be readable and coherent. No internet speak or unintelligent text.
    * No Carfax requests

Here is the link to the Classified section.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/fo...MW-Classifieds
    Last edited by JimLev; 07-26-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added link, changed date

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Maybe the whole E39 forum can make this their resolution.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks to all of you so far that have read this. In reality there are only a very few that don't follow the rules.
    I don't spend a lot of time on the other forums here but have been told that the E39 forum has very few problems with breaking the rules, so thanks guys for doing a good job.

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4

But seriously, this section is one of the best ones to moderate on BFC (I obviously don't help to moderate it anymore, but I didn't mind doing it one bit). Noobs are going to slip and not see the rules and stickies, especially if they're using the app... but the vast majority of you guys really make things pretty easy and contribute a whole lot. I remember joining when the E39 was still fairly new and most threads had to do with maintenance and appearance items. Now I look through and see some mods happening that I would have never even considered attempting. Every once in a while I wish I hadn't let mine go so I could stick it in the garage and play around with it. Maybe I'll get another E39 one day... but I digress.

You all know that Jim is a pretty cool dude and a great moderator. He contributed a lot to this section before he became a moderator and he was always classy about it. He knows the E39 like the back of his hand and he's never been boisterous or condescending to anyone when it comes to his knowledge. That's why I asked Kevlar to pin him as a mod. The fact is that the chassis has gotten pretty cheap now and that has opened up the buyer demographic. Anybody can buy the E39 now (maintaining it is another issue, of course). That means that moderation gets progressively more difficult. And Jim gets it and knows how to handle it. A few people here would be well served to pay attention to his lead. If they don't, they better not cry when Jim decides to do what he is able to do.

Try to understand the time involved in moderating... you get PMs from members, you get emails every time someone reports a post, you have to try to go to each thread to make sure that everything is copacetic, etc. It can be a pain in the butt sometimes. I've seen some mods that didn't really earn or deserve any respect. I'm also not myopic enough to think that I didn't have a 100% approval rating in E39. I'm sure I ticked a few people off in my time before and during moderating. I haven't seen Jim do that, though.

I hope I'm not coming across like I'm standing on a soapbox or anything, but you guys should appreciate have Jim guiding this forum. He's one of the most level-headed and thoughtful mods I ever worked with. He is here to help. Remember that.
    Last edited by Skwisgaar; 01-03-2016 at 10:07 PM.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    * No useless posting or wasting forum resources. (Please use the search function first!)

fix'd it for ya Jim

Mod'ing a aging forum with greater number of younger and younger members as time passes on does get difficult and stressful to say the least. Jim you've been doing a great job so far! The E60 / F10 sections are much less dramatic/active, but it may change in time.
    Last edited by Dking078; 01-04-2016 at 01:19 AM.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks for the plug Clint Skwisgaar, and for all the help you gave me in the beginning.
    As far as noobies go, I will always give them at least one break.
    When a post is reported by your fellow forum members we check it out and then look at that persons history to see if and how many infractions they have.
    That's how we decide on what to do, just a warning, a suspension, or your history.

Philly98540 recently joint the crew to help out, thanks for coming on board.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Great words above Jim and thanks for allowing to help out here! I'm still getting my feet wet on the mod side of the board, so I'll be following your lead and learning as we roll into 2016.

We have a great board here, and arguably one of the best! Lets keep it that way. Just watch the rules, and lets make the best of what this board does. Gives us the best resource of dedicated E39 motor heads and like minded people there is. Makes owning these cars so much easier and more fun. Lets keep it going and help each other out.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    Even though I never met Jim in person, I've been friend with him for years and he's the most unselfish and honest person I know. Period.
    Not to mention that number of people he helped over the years must be in hundreds by now. So let's behave and make his job easy.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    This E39 section is the best and most active!!

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Even the worst of us are better than most on the e36 section... Chaos and weird posts ensues over there (An average thing to see over there http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ut-In-The-Rain)
    Last edited by dk500; 01-04-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    ///M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Common knowledge.

I deem your post useless.

BAN HIM!

Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Is bimmerforums a for-profit business owned by a person or group of people, or just a site ran by volunteers for the good of BMW loving folk everywhere with the sponsors and authorized vendors just paying the bills to keep it running? The "No linking to competitive sites" rule has always struck me as a bit odd, I've seen that before, is that referring to other forums? Why is there 'competition' between other forums? I guess it would make sense if every forum is a for-profit business competing for members. If there is good and useful information on another forum what's the harm in posting a link? I read the main forum rules for the first time tonight and they don't seem to say anything about linking to competitive sites, is that specific to this forum? Just curious.

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Not really into E39s at all but I like to hang out here because of the good crowd. Keep up the good work mods and members.

#toyota4ever
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    Not really into E39s at all but I like to hang out here because of the good crowd. Keep up the good work mods and members.

#toyota4ever
    OK, I'm bringing you my sisters Toyota and taking the iT in 2 weeks.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Oh, your sister has a 2000GT?!

My Cars
    03 M3T, 03 M5T/SC, 01 M5
    Probably a bad thing to begin a discussion about a moderator's sister?
    2003 Ferrari Red M3 3.5L wagon // 2011 Montego Blue tri-turbo 335d wagon
    2012 Deep Sea Blue X5d // 2003 Orient Blue 330i wagon
    In progress/For Sale: 2003 Alpine White M3/ZHP wagon // 2003 Japan Red M3/ZHP wagon

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    Is bimmerforums a for-profit business owned by a person or group of people, or just a site ran by volunteers for the good of BMW loving folk everywhere with the sponsors and authorized vendors just paying the bills to keep it running? The "No linking to competitive sites" rule has always struck me as a bit odd, I've seen that before, is that referring to other forums? Why is there 'competition' between other forums? I guess it would make sense if every forum is a for-profit business competing for members. If there is good and useful information on another forum what's the harm in posting a link? I read the main forum rules for the first time tonight and they don't seem to say anything about linking to competitive sites, is that specific to this forum? Just curious.
    Nothing to say on this guys?

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Nothing to say on this guys?
    I think that it is a for profit thing with volunteer mods, but any profit would be low. It doesn't seem like the ads placed on this site and the money from supporting vendors would be anything far past what the servers and maintenance costs. I would say then it is more a competition for ad traffic to maintain the forum and give the main guys (MDabney, Kevlar, etc) some reward, since they put A LOT of work into it.
    Last edited by dk500; 01-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.
    E90 335i

E39 540i (SOLD)
    Racing

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    When I was first looking into buying a BMW, I was considering an e36, but looking back on it and visiting the e36 forum every once and a while just makes me appreciate not buying a 3-series as well as this forum. Keep up the good work!
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander

I received a PM asking to reply to this question.
    These answers are just an assumption and best guess on my part.
    The forum is a for profit business, not sure what the profit is, if any. There are lots of costs to run, manage, host, and hardware costs. The forum software itself is very expensive.
    Us Mods volunteer our time to manage various subforums, so it's just not the E39 section.
    Yes the supporting vendors do pay, no idea how much.
    The no linking to competitive sites is most likely to keep viewers here, don't want to lose viewers. Yes, other BMW sites. More viewers that clip on ads possibly generate more revenue. This is one of the rules, what I posted was a cut and paste.
    Most forums I've been on have this same rule.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    It's only common sense, we have a gracious host (bimmer forums) and they ask in return is for some courtesy on our behalf. And to me it's only logical the make money, if not how can we have a nice place like this to interact. And security as well ( our lovely mods).

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    Bimmerforums.com is a for-profit business owned by MDabney. Kevlar has been the co-administrator pretty much from day one. I would assume Kevlar receives some sort of compensation for his work (if not, he's a better man than I already think he is). Moderators receive no compensation at all... their work is a labor of love. Or insanity.

The reason for the rule about cross-posting to other forums is there primarily for the reason JimLev gave. Forums compete for clicks and viewtime which enables them to charge money for advertising. There is also a bit of professional courtesy involved. We (meaning our moderators and admins) don't talk crap about them and they don't talk crap about us. And coordinated attacks by BFC members against other forums are highly frowned upon and can result in a ban (look up the 2006 attack on AudiZine by bfc members... that didn't end well for a few people).

As far as cross-posting goes, when I was a mod I would always let it slide if the link was useful and pertinent to the thread. For example, someone asks for help regarding a DIY and another member posts a link to a DIY from another website, I would never consider punishing the person for being helpful. But if some noob made a stupid thread on another BMW site and someone here decided to post the link, I would see that as enticing other members to clown around on the other website and a warning or an infraction would be issued.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    As far as who owns it ? Don't care.
    If they make money ? I hope so.
    Mods here ? They do a pretty d@mn good job. Thank You.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Your all welcome, you guys make the E39 forum very easy to moderate.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    +1. Great group we got here.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast