Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 S50 turbo build

My Cars
    95 M3
    It would suck if the engine didn't start because you lost the coil grounds. Not saying it would be a problem, but I would remove the paint were the coils sit on the VC.

Nice build, looking forward to another 95 m3 on boost.
    WOT

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvturbo View Post
    It would suck if the engine didn't start because you lost the coil grounds. Not saying it would be a problem, but I would remove the paint were the coils sit on the VC. Nice build, looking forward to another 95 m3 on boost.
    I've definitely thought about that, I'll sand off a little paint for the ground when I do the install so I don't have to worry about that. Thank you though, I'm pretty excited to get her up and running!

My Cars
    95 M3
    I saw you said you removed the timing chain cover before taking the short block to the machine shop. That cover needs to be attached to the short block if they deck the surface. The headgasket also seals that area.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    Another 21 year old buys perfect 1995 M3 to thrash it. No wonder why E36 M3 is going up in price. 3 inch inlet intercooler? Wow, lag will be eternal

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Another 21 year old buys perfect 1995 M3 to thrash it. No wonder why E36 M3 is going up in price. 3 inch inlet intercooler? Wow, lag will be eternal
    What would you recommend for greatly improved lag from the 3" intercooler inlet?

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    93 M318is Sedan (lol)
    Lookin good so far! I wouldn't worry about lag BTW. I'm running the same manifold/turbo combo with 3" IC and charge pipe and it spools just fine! Comes on at about 3500 rpm. I'm interested in seeing how your manifold handles creep though. I have a really unbalanced setup lol I'm using an adapter to run a 38mm 2 bolt WG with a 5lb spring. Big turbo + little wastegate = mega creep. My build is super janky to say the least, but it's got character! Put your manifold on a belt sander BTW. My flanges weren't perfectly flat out of the box.

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by hakentt View Post
    Feel free to judge me off my age all ya want, but i baby my cars for what they are. I'm not the typical young guy wanting crazy power to go do burnouts and bounce the limiter everywhere. I like to do builds as its my passion and I overbuild to handle way more than I throw at them. If you don't respect my build based off my age I feel sorry for you. I based the 3 inch inlet off of the fact that I'm running a trm blow through maf that requires a 3 inch charge pipe and it's easier to have 3 inch on both hot and cold side as its a universal intercooler kit. I've seen plenty of people with similar specs for turbo and intercooler setup and they seem to spool just fine.

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by DunDunSkeert View Post
    I saw you said you removed the timing chain cover before taking the short block to the machine shop. That cover needs to be attached to the short block if they deck the surface. The headgasket also seals that area.
    I brought it and the harmonic balancer down there to the machine shop with the block for when they deck it and then balance after, thanks the input!

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by zJACKRABBIT View Post
    Lookin good so far! I wouldn't worry about lag BTW. I'm running the same manifold/turbo combo with 3" IC and charge pipe and it spools just fine! Comes on at about 3500 rpm. I'm interested in seeing how your manifold handles creep though. I have a really unbalanced setup lol I'm using an adapter to run a 38mm 2 bolt WG with a 5lb spring. Big turbo + little wastegate = mega creep. My build is super janky to say the least, but it's got character! Put your manifold on a belt sander BTW. My flanges weren't perfectly flat out of the box.
    Yeah I've been reading about the creep issues with this manifold. I have a 44mm so that might help a little, but I'll also use a 45 degree external pipe vs the 90 degree, heard that helps as well. Anyways I'll play it by ear and see how bad it creeps and go from there! Thanks for reassuring me with the lag, I didn't think it would be bad as I've seen lots of people run pretty similar setup. Plus my last car spooled at about 4K so this should be even better!
    Okay I'll definitely check out the flanges before install

My Cars
    02 525it, 97 M3, 08 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev51001 View Post
    I brought it and the harmonic balancer down there to the machine shop with the block for when they deck it and then balance after, thanks the input!
    If you are going to balance the rotating assembly, have the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate in there as well.

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post

If you are going to balance the rotating assembly, have the flywheel/clutch/pressure plate in there as well.
    But what happens when you change your clutch setup?

I've been told to balance the engine assembly alone.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    '97 M3
    You zero balance the flywheel then you balance with the pressure plate (adjustments to the PP) that way it doesn't matter if you change your clutch. Sent from my GTX3582R
    Last edited by chikinhed; 02-12-2016 at 12:11 AM.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith1054 View Post
    I had that done, shoulda mentioned it above

My Cars
    Red Sled, RC51
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    You zero balance the flywheel then you balance with the pressure plate (adjustments to the PP) that way it doesn't matter if you change your clutch. Sent from my GTX3582R
    I mean, how many people here have used the same flywheel and pressure plate and clutch?

Lots of guys change their setups, not just the clutch.

I'd get the engine done by itself, but that's just me.

"Believe nothing you hear, half of what you read"

My Cars
    93 M318is Sedan (lol)
    Yeah I've been reading about the creep issues with this manifold. I have a 44mm so that might help a little, but I'll also use a 45 degree external pipe vs the 90 degree, heard that helps as well. Anyways I'll play it by ear and see how bad it creeps and go from there! Thanks for reassuring me with the lag, I didn't think it would be bad as I've seen lots of people run pretty similar setup. Plus my last car spooled at about 4K so this should be even better!
    Okay I'll definitely check out the flanges before install
    I'm going to try recirculating it to see if it helps at all for me. I definitely need to get a bigger WG though!

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Picked up the short block today and I gotta say it looks awesome, sure got me excited to keep moving forward! Just have to go rent the pilot bearing removal tool tomorrow morning and pick up a front main seal from BMW then I'll be able to make some more progress. Until then here's a pic of the block!

My Cars
    325i
    Awesome build!

May I ask which machine shop did you use for all your machining?
    Fast lookin' but slow movin'
    237 rwhp N/A power

My Cars
    Alpine white e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3poseur View Post
    Awesome build! May I ask which machine shop did you use for all your machining?
    Thank you! I got it done at pacific auto machine down in Renton. I chose them based off of there was a couple people on the here that said they "bring all their motors here because they know it'll be done right", and after talking to the owner with knowing he'd been doing it for decades I felt pretty comfortable that knowing it would be done right.

My Cars
    93 M318is Sedan (lol)
    How much did it cost you to do the bottom end, if you don't mind me asking? I'm pricing out what I need to save up for rods, pistons, bearings and machine work. I'll do the assembly myself.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Picked up the short block today and I gotta say it looks awesome, sure got me excited to keep moving forward! Just have to go rent the pilot bearing removal tool tomorrow morning and pick up a front main seal from BMW then I'll be able to make some more progress. Until then here's a pic of the block!
    Nice build so far. Always nice to see quality work and attention to detail. You can make your own pilot bearing removal tool with a piece of bar stock and a 3/8" bolt and nut. Any bolt will do as long as the hex head is just a tiny bit smaller than the center hole of the pilot bearing. Drill a hole in the bar stock. Put the bolt through it and attach the nut. Slide the hex head through the hole of the pilot bearing and slide it to one side so the lip of the head grabs the pilot bearing. Tighten the nut and pull out the bearing.

I didn't have any bar stock

A bit of inspiration for you after I saw that valve cover

Last edited by flyfishvt; 02-13-2016 at 07:53 AM.

My Cars
    97 M3, 08 X3, 96 VW TDI
    You could just use a grease gun to fill the void behind the pilot bearing, then tap the clutch alignment tool in to drive out the bearing.
    S52, OBD2 RK 60lb, cutring and spacer, ARP head studs, GT3582R, AA bottom mount, Tial 44mm WG, Tial QR BOV, Vibrant 3.5" IC, FX stage 4 clutch, hobbs switch meth injection, working AC, and 516 RWHP!
    97 BMW M3
    | 96 VW Passat TDI | 87 Porsche 930 | 92 Toyota Pickup | 00 S10 ZR2

My Cars
    95 M3
    I used bread to get mine out. Easy, simple and zero mess.
    WOT

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I like the bread trick.

Sent from my GTX3582R

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I've seen the grease trick. What's the bread trick?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    I've seen the grease trick. What's the bread trick?
    Search "pilot bearing vs slice of bread" on YouTube for your viewing pleasure.
    WOT

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast