Thread: 2008 535i. Can a bad alternator drain the battery?

My Cars
    2008 BMW 535i

Unhappy 2008 535i. Can a bad alternator drain the battery?

535i 2008, 130k miles. About a month ago, just out of the blue car turn on the light for "Transmission Malfunction", Transmission Shifter Malfunction". Noticed battery presented some signs of low power also. Something very strange, turned car on and after the mentioned messages comes on the Onboard Dash panel as well as the shifter lights went "OFF" and unable to change any gears. Towed the car home and next morning battery was totally dead, bought new battery but the same problems persist and just overnight the new battery was also dead. Before start spending $$ without know real causes, want to know if this could be alternator problem or what can be draining the battery just overnight. A tech told me that could be a bad alternator that is keeping open power and draining the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    Bmw 520d E60 N47
    It's not alternator. It's battery computer reset that will require a code via diagnostic device to tell the car CCC that there is new battery so it can send signals to ECU that alternator don't need to work the extra leg.

The symptoms of your car is showing a classic battery change at home. Or by someone who did not re set the battery management device.

My Cars
    2008 535xi, 2011 Z4 35is
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoop View Post

The symptoms of your car is showing a classic battery change at home. Or by someone who did not re set the battery management device.

Hmm. By killing a new battery overnight? I don't think so.

My Cars
    2004 E60 545i
    These gotta be a short somewhere and it could be alt. Start pulling fuses until battery stays full.....
    ">'85 Mlite E30, '98 E36, 1998 528i, 5 spd manual, black on black, sold in 2012 and still going past 350Kkms, now MYSTIC Blue 2004 545i, 6 spd Steptr., Adaptive steering and Xenons, Anti dazzle mirrors. Aux+Belt-Chime+Dig speedo+iDrive discl. 2007 TCU+BT Coded+Sure BT Board

My Cars
    With wheels
    Common battery draining issues on the e60 are :

- Faulty module (TV module, BT module etc)
    - MPM (Builtin into your KGM module from late 2005 onwards) : Micro Power Management module.
    - IBS sensor (Intelligent Battery Sensor) builtin into the negative lead of the car battery.

Run a proper BMW diagnotic (Not generic OBD scanner), it will tell you what is at fault most likely.
    BMW OSS Master - BMW Coding, flashing, and NBT/CIC retrofits for breakfast.
    Founder of BMW Planet, serving wiring diagrams to BMW enthusiasts and independent garages all over the world since 2008

My Cars
    Bmw 520d E60 N47

It's a common fault and Bmw have made a recall regarding the negative monitor sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by NoQuarterX View Post
    Hmm. By killing a new battery overnight? I don't think so.
    As I described.
    There have been a nationwide recall due to a problem with battery monitor.
    It can do a lot worse for other including my car currently same issue

My Cars
    2008 535xi, 2011 Z4 35is
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalamazoop View Post
    As I described.
    There have been a nationwide recall due to a problem with battery monitor.
    It can do a lot worse for other including my car currently same issue
    I see what you meant now. The way you worded the post I read this as this happens a lot when people try to change their own battery and don't register it. Which will not kill the battery over night. But if there is a faulty device then of course 😊
    Cheers

My Cars
    2008 535xi/2007 e90 328x
    Bringing back an old Post but I am having the Identical issues that Ramirez described. I replaced my battery at the end of oct 18. I didn't register new battery but I've read that you don't have to register if you are replacing one with the same specs. Battery was super hot when this happened. Let car sit overnight and was able to get it home the next day. I gave a new alternator on order. Advance is charging my h7 battery so get can test it tomorrow am. I wish original poster would have posted what he did to fix problem.

My car
    535xi
    180k.