Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Weedspeed M1 Pro Car Replica [+Bonus E36 M3]

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II

Cool Mid-engine project

Introduction
    Hi guys and gals, most of you probably know me and my brother Erikjakan from our previous threads/builds.

In this thread I will be posting our progress with a project that we've had in mind for quite some time, and now it's time to turn those thoughts into reality.

Inspirational pic of the end goal

I will also be posting some bonus content on a much lesser project, a E36 M3.

Prologue

As you can see in the list above, we sold the E46 330Xi just recently.
    To be honest, that build was born more out of necessity than desire, and we didn't feel motivated enough to keep working on a project that didn't really excite us.

This new build however, I am glad to inform, excites us very much!

Earlier this summer, we went to Oslo Motorshow in Norway where we were able to explore a genuine BMW M1 Procar! Which was very educational, since we haven't actually seen one of these in the real life previously.

Some pictures from the event.

So, all said and done, we sold the E46 330Xi and used the money to get ahold of a 98 E36 M3 and some capital to work with for the M1.
    The M3 originally came with the SMG gearbox, but the previous owner swapped that out for an old fashioned manual, which is what we were looking for.
    The previous owner used it as a weekend warrior / occasional track car and as such some of the work that we planned to do has allready been done, such as bushings and stuff like that.

The M3

The purpose of the M3 is to keep us from going insane from the absence of speed, while at the same time serving as abit of a weekend car that can be driven on the street without issue aswell, so nothing really extensive will be modded on this car.

2015-2016 plans for the M3
    • New suspension
    • New rims with R-tires
    • Swaybars
    • Minor front subframe mods/servicing

2016-2017 plans for the M3

• Turbo/Supercharger, ~600 WHP
    • Better brakes
    • Whatever else might come to mind depending on how well the car performed 2016

So it's a pretty short list, and we've started off by acquiring the suspension for the M3, Bilstein group N/World Challange.

On to the real deal
    The real star of this thread however, is going to be the M1 Procar replica.

The M1 Procar recipe is planned as follows:
    • Tubular frame
    • BMW S85B50 V10
    • Glass Fibre body
    • Pushrod suspension
    • Corvette C5 control arms
    • Audi 01E gearbox / alternatively Porsche Boxster gearbox

In terms of actual work though, we've started off by constructing a jig so that we have an even flat space to work on, and make sure that everything ends up where we want it without any surprises.

We checked it with a laser and it differs about 1mm across the longest span, which is well within the boundries.

Next up, we got started on the actual frame for the M1.

Shoutout pic to one of the most important tools in all this which has made our lifes that much easier compared to the days when we would just use an angle-grinder.

Testing out the seating position. Very scientifically I might add.

Marketing rant incoming: Over at Weedspeed we pride ourselves at the use of only the best methods and most up to date tools. Note the exclusive tape and premium wood, carved from the mightiest of trees deep in the Swedish forests.

We also bought a very much needed tool for when the time comes to actually use tubes in this so called tubular frame, which despite the description has been quite square so far.

And that's all for now. This project is going to be a long-term project, so don't expect the crazy tempo of the Weedspeed Compact, but we will probably be halted moreso by financials rather than spare time, but in the end it will probably be cheaper to do it right from the start, which would be a nice way of approaching things for once
    Last edited by Peterjakan; 06-05-2017 at 07:50 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Wow. Impressive to say the least.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Subscribed!

My Cars
    E36
    I already can't wait for updates...

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Based on the quality of your other builds, I can't wait to see more progress on the M1 project!

My Cars
    bmw e36 328i 4dr saloon
    Ohh wow quite impressive, that M1 Procar is going to be awesome, Can't wait to see what you guys have planned for the E36 M3
    1996 328i (m52B28US) OBD1 euro ZF 5spd. 3.23LSD conversion / Chem. PnP Head/ DINAN stg.2 CHIP/ VAC race valves/ S52 cams/ A/C delete/ fan delete/ Washer Fluid resv delete/ ARP head studs/ Cometic 140MLS / VAC Solid Engine/trans Mounts/ CAI / 2.5"Borla race exahaust/ NGK R spark plugs, M50 Mani, S50 Oil Res, Riot Racing HFTB, SAMCO Hoses, JBR FW, X-Brace, Mtech Front Bumper, RE RSMs, stoptech SS lines, Bilstein sports, H&R Race Springs, S52 Reinforcement plates, Kosei K1 w/ bridgestone RE960as, Brembo/stoptech slotted rotors, M3 Trailing arms, M3 Calipers, M3 Axles, ACS strut brace, weight reduction.

http://mbuild.blogspot.com/

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    In for more

I was going to say you should do a straight pipe S85 v10 with ITBs and was not disappointed when I saw the intended engine.

My Cars
    E36M3, E92M3
    Wow!
    INSTAGRAM: jellismotorwerks

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    This is madness! And I love it!

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Loving it, another build, very impressive!
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    330 compact AWD turbo
    Hi guys, glad you like the project!

The plan was to use the christmasdays off to continue building the M1 procar, Sadly we ran out of material so its been a long two weeks.

Me and Peter did some minor disassembly on the M3 instead, found out that the previous owner had put in powerflex bushings all over.

Ive ordered H&R sway bars, adjustable camber rods, adjustable topmounts, some delrin bushings for the fron control arms, UCC motormounts and gearbox mounts, Next up is mounting the Turner Motorsport Bilstein Chassi.

MVH Erik

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Can't wait
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    this guy is actually fabricating a m1 from the frame up?..... mind is blown.... BOOM.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    330 compact AWD turbo
    M3j0n: Yes

Today I got the Ground Control Bumpsteer and Rollcenter kit for the m3!

Sweet parts that for sure will make the car handle better ones its been lowered!

MVH Erik

My Cars
    2004 E46 325Ci
    Cool Idea, I can't wait to see the finished Product.

My Cars
    330 compact AWD turbo
    Got some stuff yesterday, Enginemounts, transmissionmounts, swaybar reinforcements and brakepedal bushings from UUC.

MVH Erik

My Cars
    330 compact AWD turbo
    Got some pipes 3 days ago, started with the easyest parts!

Triangulations in the doorway, looks tight but its actually quite low.

Hard to get it right the first time, but i managed after some well chosen words.

Gonna continue this weekend!

MVH Erik

My Cars
    72 + 75 2002's
    LIVING for this right now.
    Current_SeeDee 1972 Type 114 Luna 1975 Type 114
    Past___Veronica
    1994 e36 Le-Ah 1987 e30

My Cars
    330 compact AWD turbo
    To bend some pipes may seem like an easy task, believe me, its NOT!

After a few wasted pipes and alot of scremaing, crying and sweat, we managed to achive this

Here is lil bro 177cm tall peterjakan modelling, its not roomy but its not a mini cooper either!

MVH Erik

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Oh boy!!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Where in sweden are you guys? I'll be in Stockholm at the end of the month.

My Cars
    330 compact AWD turbo
    We are located about 3 miles just outside stockholm, in a suburb called Sundbyberg! Whats the purpuse of your visit to stockholm Marketmaster?

My Cars
    Many
    This is quite the project, good luck!

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Weedspeed Mark II
    Right, so I know I've been terrible with updates, but up until now there really hasn't been that much to update. We've been mostly waiting for stuff.

But, at least we put some Toyo R888's on the M3, installed a new steering wheel and we got a new dash installed with the oil temperature.

Aaaand we also made a little road trip, which went a little something like this.

Yea, that's nearly 2800 kilometers, and we started out at 18:00 on Friday, and ended up home at about 14:00 on Sunday. Not alot of wiggle room.

So, what in the hell might have motioned us to go on this little trip on sucha tight schedule.

Two things really.

The first one, was this little gem.

And the second reason, was done partly as a favour for some friends, in exchange for some money to help remedy the cost of traveling and purchase of reason #1

Basicly, they wanted us to grab a boat that they'd purchased which was, at the time, situated in Oslo Norway. And since we pretty much had to pass by Oslo anyway we figured why not.

Then we had to deliver the boat to Umeå Sweden, which I'll admit was abit of a detour, which we agreed to do.

The boat in question:

Apparently, the plan is to mount some american supercharged V8, producing about 640 HP, to this glorified lightweight bathtub which would make it capable of running speeds of about 100 knots, or about 120 mph for those of your who aren't familiar with the nautical terms.

We also got ahold of some stuff! Yay.

Maybe now we can get around to keep on building the frame, and maybe the next update won't take more than a month or so. Fancy that.

That's all for now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast