Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: An N/A guy looking to the darkside. Help me build boost!

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by mean4g View Post
    U know I was an NA guy myself once upon a time. When I went boost I never looked back. It will change ur life! Lol
    Incorrect
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    looking for E36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Incorrect
    What is?
    4 different turbo cars/1 BB chevy/1 all motor+nitrous...7 different turbos, 4 different intercoolers, 6 different EMS systems etc etc. Looking to play E36 on boost.

My Cars
    67mm 325i, RAM 1500
    What is?
    GG has beem turbo and NA he has lived on both sides of the coin and he is saying that he may miss it sometimes, I know I dont miss it

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    GG has beem turbo and NA he has lived on both sides of the coin and he is saying that he may miss it sometimes, I know I dont miss it
    Turbo'd, SC'd, and N/a.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

Turbo'd, SC'd, and N/a.
    Pretty sure we all have been all 3.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    I'm a pump gas guy not a fan of spraying meth. Is e85 readily around in FL?
    e85 is available, but not as plentiful as I'd like. Where I live there aren't that many pumps available, but there is one right by my job which is 20 miles from my house. Since this is a weekend car now, would you consider e85 and just keep some drums of it in the garage in this case? Or are you suggesting to stay on pump gas?

Quote Originally Posted by E36 HateR View Post
    My vote goes for a pump gas 4094r car (640whp all day at 18-19psi) and have a little more agressive tune for ms109 for 25-26psi (780-820whp) remember, you have a lot of bikes and cars that have lots of power in the triple digits in your area, not 137-142mph traps you need 150-155mph on kill to show out.
    That sounds like a feasible option due to my connections allowing me to get ms109 fairly easily. Maybe even easier than e85 lol. And you're right, being that 700whp or more is the norm for a lot of street cars in this area, I'd need that 150+ to compete. Car won't be ready for that off the bat, but eventually it'll have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by bmuum3 View Post
    Sorry if I missed it, are you going with a stock bottom or built?
    Built bottom end sir.

Easily with those cams he has
    I keep hearing conflicting things about the 286 cams that were in my N/A setup being used for boost. Some say the cam profile has too much overlap to be used for boost, and some say they'd keep them for the duration which might help boost in the upper RPM's. Still haven't quite figured out whether I'm going to go with a set of 264 Schricks or try out the 286's to see how the car responds.

U know I was an NA guy myself once upon a time. When I went boost I never looked back. It will change ur life! Lol
    The only issue I currently have, mentally at least, is my disdain for turbo lag lol. My N/A setup had great throttle response, I'm hoping to build a setup that might produce something similar. Then again I haven't driven any boosted e36 setups, so I don't know exactly what it's like.
    Infiniti G35S Turbo BMW M3/4/5 Ninja ZX6R 636
    Penn State University '08...better than your school since 1855
    Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Incorporated

UTI Class of '10, BMW "STEPchild"
    Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    looking for E36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Infammus 1 View Post
    e85 is available, but not as plentiful as I'd like. Where I live there aren't that many pumps available, but there is one right by my job which is 20 miles from my house. Since this is a weekend car now, would you consider e85 and just keep some drums of it in the garage in this case? Or are you suggesting to stay on pump gas?

That sounds like a feasible option due to my connections allowing me to get ms109 fairly easily. Maybe even easier than e85 lol. And you're right, being that 700whp or more is the norm for a lot of street cars in this area, I'd need that 150+ to compete. Car won't be ready for that off the bat, but eventually it'll have to be.

Built bottom end sir.

I keep hearing conflicting things about the 286 cams that were in my N/A setup being used for boost. Some say the cam profile has too much overlap to be used for boost, and some say they'd keep them for the duration which might help boost in the upper RPM's. Still haven't quite figured out whether I'm going to go with a set of 264 Schricks or try out the 286's to see how the car responds.

The only issue I currently have, mentally at least, is my disdain for turbo lag lol. My N/A setup had great throttle response, I'm hoping to build a setup that might produce something similar. Then again I haven't driven any boosted e36 setups, so I don't know exactly what it's like.
    I am actually the same way. I hate lag as well. However I have learned to live with some within reason.
    4 different turbo cars/1 BB chevy/1 all motor+nitrous...7 different turbos, 4 different intercoolers, 6 different EMS systems etc etc. Looking to play E36 on boost.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Those cams I believe have already been used with FI
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Those cams I believe have already been used with FI
    Any examples? Dyno sheets or vids? I'd like to see the results.

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    skateboard
    Any examples? Dyno sheets or vids? I'd like to see the results.
    You're running the Vac IP cams, or the more aggressive schricks?
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Vac 286/272

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Vac 286/272
    Yea I'm not sure how those compare to these with lift https://store.vacmotorsports.com/sch...270-p2705.aspx , but the 276/270's work well.
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5

Yea I'm not sure how those compare to these with lift https://store.vacmotorsports.com/sch...270-p2705.aspx , but the 276/270's work well.
    The lift is larger on the 286's, but so is the overlap

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    skateboard
    The lift is larger on the 286's, but so is the overlap
    Hrrrmi there's only 1 why to find out
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5

Hrrrmi there's only 1 why to find out
    I don't really have intentions of using the 286's unless a tuner or someone else knowledgeable tells me otherwise.

Any other help on the parts list or any info I asked for in my 1st post?

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Just buy a monster turbo that could use that power band and have a low EBP to boost ratio.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Just buy a monster turbo that could use that power band and have a low EBP to boost ratio.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    How does one achieve having a low EBP to boost ratio? And what's considered a "monster" turbo?

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    T6 BWs595 , 1650whp http://www.himni-racing.com/turbochargers/airwerks-borgwarner-s-series/borg-warner-air-werks-s510-95-turbo-s595

As far as your list, since the only part I have real world experience with so far is the piping farication, id suggest you build your own. Its pretty easy and you can design it exactly how you want and make sure it fits your car perfectly and suits your application. If you can weld its super simple and you can keep couplers at a bare minimum.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    T6 BWs595 , 1650whp http://www.himni-racing.com/turbochargers/airwerks-borgwarner-s-series/borg-warner-air-werks-s510-95-turbo-s595

As far as your list, since the only part I have real world experience with so far is the piping farication, id suggest you build your own. Its pretty easy and you can design it exactly how you want and make sure it fits your car perfectly and suits your application. If you can weld its super simple and you can keep couplers at a bare minimum.
    The same guy who did my exhaust will be welding the pipes I need to fit my car. I've been referring him a lot of local business so he owes me a favor lol. If I bought the piping myself it probably would save me some $$ though.

That turbo seems like overkill for what I'm looking for btw.

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Turbo was a joke , sorry lol..

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Turbo was a joke , sorry lol..
    It costs almost as much as my longblock did! Lmao.

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    '97 M3
    How does one achieve having a low EBP to boost ratio? And what's considered a "monster" turbo?
    A larger turbo will give you a lower exhaust manifold pressure to boost ratio but with that you will have lag. You need to determine what you are going to use the car for and build your set up accordingly. If you are drag racing then lag doesn't matter as much. By large turbo I mean a large frame turbo, a GT40R or bigger. If you are more into daily driving and autoX then you will want a smaller turbo that will be much more responsive such as medium frame turbo like a GT35R.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post

A larger turbo will give you a lower exhaust manifold pressure to boost ratio but with that you will have lag. You need to determine what you are going to use the car for and build your set up accordingly. If you are drag racing then lag doesn't matter as much. By large turbo I mean a large frame turbo, a GT40R or bigger. If you are more into daily driving and autoX then you will want a smaller turbo that will be much more responsive such as medium frame turbo like a GT35R.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    The car will definitely be used more for highway pulls, 1/4 and half mile events. Thus maybe I should aim for more of a gt40 or 6466? Would that coupled with the new steedspeed manifold allow for a ratio conducive to using my 286 cams? Although an HTA upgraded GT35R does sound like a great alternative

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo

The car will definitely be used more for highway pulls, 1/4 and half mile events. Thus maybe I should aim for more of a gt40 or 6466? Would that coupled with the new steedspeed manifold allow for a ratio conducive to using my 286 cams? Although an HTA upgraded GT35R does sound like a great alternative
    6466 is a monster turbo, the 4094 has a whistle that's to die for. Either is a great choice. Don't expect to be at 20psi before 4,000rpms with either 1st-4th gear. If your only going to be doing 60+ rolls, I've got a gtx4088 for sale that will make 700 on pump gas easy, already has the TS housing on it. It maybe spoken for, but sounds like its up your alley. Let me know if you show interest.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    '08 G35S, '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post

6466 is a monster turbo, the 4094 has a whistle that's to die for. Either is a great choice. Don't expect to be at 20psi before 4,000rpms with either 1st-4th gear. If your only going to be doing 60+ rolls, I've got a gtx4088 for sale that will make 700 on pump gas easy, already has the TS housing on it. It maybe spoken for, but sounds like its up your alley. Let me know if you show interest.
    I would actually love to be able to do some dig racing with the car once the trans and rear is set up for it, chikinhed indicated a bigger turbo would be more suited to that. Would you concur? (Without thinking that it would help your sale lol)

Acurazine.com Mod Squad

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast