Thread: Replaced spark plugs and car won't start now

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i Touring

Replaced spark plugs and car won't start now

My 530i Station Wagon was working fine and close to 97K miles. I was planning on a road trip over the Christmas/NewYear break and replaced the spark plugs today but after replacing the car won't start. And its acting very weird

• When I put the key in, the interior lights come on, go off, some time going dim
    • When I push start, nothing happens in the engine (no crank). After few tries giving it few mins of break, there was no crank but the engine was made a click noise when I pressed start. I tried 3 or 4 times and it made same noise. I removed the key and put it back and tried again and this time nothing (not even click)
    • When the key is inserted, the cluster dash board shows parking break sign and between 2 large displays (between speedometer and RPM), only the top display lights but it its displaying random signs like "Seat Belt Faulty" or "Power Windows Anti-Trapping function" or "EPS inoperative" or "Transmission position P not engaged". The bottom display does not light up. When I push start, all these display signs go blank for few seconds. If I press trip meter, the bottom display lights up and it shows mileage but it also displays small warning sign on the top right corner (triangle with exclamation mark).
    • When I insert the key, the music system automatically starts but it does not. Actually the electronic display does not even light up.
    • I electronic key does not work either. It worked few times and it stopped. It does not lock. When I tried to lock the car manually with key, it worked but in 2 seconds the car alarm went off. I was able to turn off the alarm by unlocking the door using key and putting the key module in steering. When I unlocked the doors, I rear door latch (the little black thing that pops up) pop'ed up only about 10-20% of normal height.

This is the first time I replaced spark plugs on E61 (but I have replaced spark plugs twice on my E36) but it was straight forward task. Remove cabin filters and base; disconnect push plug from coil, pull out the coil, replace spark plugs, push down coil, re-connect push plug and finally put the cabin filter base and filters. I don't believe I have disconnected anything else and not sure if these issues are because I connected something incorrectly or because the battery is almost dead. I don't know the age of the battery.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I found what the display signs means from the link https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...90+E91+E92+E93 and some of the signs have multiple meanings.

My Cars
    2007 750i BMW; 2003 Z4 3.0 BMW; 2002 Lexus LS430;
    Start with the battery; check the volts with every thing off - should be around 12 -13 volts. If volts look good have someone try to crank the car and watch the volt meter to see if there is a significant drop.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    May have drained the battery while you were doing the work. Check voltage by the front terminal too. Worse case, try a boost to see if its the battery and if you can get it running.
    2004 X5 4.4, 01/2004 production, 285,000km
    1998 328i, track car, ~300,000km
    2008 535i, 205,000km

My Cars
    530I
    Yes, battery is dead

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i Touring
    Got a multi-meter and tested the voltage and it showed 7.5 Volts; When I put the key and pressed break pedal it went down to 7.1 and when I pressed "Start" it goes down to 5.8V. After a few minutes the "a rapid clicking noise started from the fuse panel above the battery" which lasted 10-15 mins. Now the battery sits at around 5.5 V. Reviewing other threads I found the clicking noise from fuse panel box is pretty common symptom for battery low voltage.

Its Christmas eve here in New Zealand and most places are closed and ones that were open did not carry the battery my car needs and they need to special order it which take few days. I miss the flexibility of auto parts availability in US.

Quick question though. I got a 80Ah/640 CA battery but most of the E60/E61 threads I reviewed mention everyone got 800-900CA batteries and I am not sure why I got a 640CA battery.

Battery.JPG

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Boost it and see if it will hold a charge. Don't turn it off unless you are at a point you can get towed from or get another boost
    2004 X5 4.4, 01/2004 production, 285,000km
    1998 328i, track car, ~300,000km
    2008 535i, 205,000km

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    If you got 8+ years out of that battery, I'd use the exact same size. Registering battery will be easier with same size.
    If you put a 10 amp charger on it overnight or jump start it you might might be able to use the car until the battery arrives.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    If you got 8+ years out of that battery, I'd use the exact same size. Registering battery will be easier with same size.
    If you put a 10 amp charger on it overnight or jump start it you might might be able to use the car until the battery arrives.
    I owned the car for only 6 months and its a Japanese import into New Zealand. I could not find any date details on the battery and the only thing I can find on one of the terminals is 2S13. I got most if not all the car service records but its all in Japanese so cannot check if there is a record of battery replacement.

Will it be an issue if I disconnect the battery to bring in to house to charge it and go back to connect it or its recommended to charge it while the battery is still connected in the trunk ?

If I replace it with same size, do I need to match all 3 specs (80 Ah; 640 A; 640 CCA) or just the first 2 and CCA can be different ?

My Cars
    530I
    You can disconnect and charge in the house without a problem