Thread: BMW Z3 Convertible top motor location

My Cars
    bmw z3

Talking BMW Z3 Convertible top motor location

I bought a used, manual transmission, 2001 Z3 convertible with what appears to be a manual convertible top (no button on console, anywhere)

This car seems to be a bare bone model because I can not find even the button to eject the trunk or the cruise control. Any ways, I refuse to believe that this car has a manual convertible top. Additionally, the convertible top is light weight due to the minimal force needed to push it back after it has been released from the lock. However it takes a bit of force to lift it from the fully resting (on rear) folded position.

Does anyone know where the motor location is for the convertible top?

Any input will be appreciated.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    MANUAL TOP!-I know,i owned one!

My Cars
    z3
    None of these models have a button to pop the trunk.

The convertible motor if so equipped will be found in the trunk on the left hand side (if looking towards the rear of the car) behind the carpet.

If you don't have a convertible top button, you don't have a power top. Most are power but a few are manual and no cruise control certainly indicates it is quite possibly a base model.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Manual convertible top just means that never have to worry about the pump failing or hydraulic lines leaking

My Cars
    z3
    Z3 top hydraulic systems are probably the most reliable convertible top system out there, certainly the most reliable for BMWs. It consists of one hydraulic motor that actuates a single piston to open/close the top (they are latched or unlatched manually). I've owned by now over 10 Z3 roadsters with power tops and never seen one fail or have any problems, it simply isn't a problem on the Z3's like it is for so many other convertible BMWs. I think part of that is because the Z3 was designed to be a convertible so it was easy to do "right" whereas something like an E36 was designed as a coupe first so adding the top adds a lot of complication. In theory the Z4 top should be reliable too but because of where they put that top motor they've been plagued with problems since they were new.

In the rare event something does go wrong on a Z3 top, there is a knob on the top motor that can be rotated to bypass the hydraulic sysytem to turn it into a 100% manual top. On a Z3 I'd never seek a manual top due to the reliability of the system and the benefits it offers. The manual tops aren't bad but the power units are just a little easier to live with.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster
    I just purchased a 2001 Z3 Roadster. The top will not work. How do I check the motor? My car has a button for the top but it doesn’t work

- - - Updated - - -

I just purchased a 2001 Z3 Roadster. The top will not work. How do I check the motor? My car has a button for the top but it doesn’t work

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved to the model specific area.

- - - Updated - - -

Moved to the model specific area.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    After you unlatch the top and push the front section up you will need to press the brake while pushing the top down button. If it’s not working after following those instructions then check your brake lights and verify they work. If they don’t then the brake switch will need to be replaced. There is a safety switch on the driver side of the top frame that activates when you push up the front section. That wire can fatigue and break but I think that’s the rarer problem.

My Cars
    Coupe
    My '99 convertible top was problematic. The switch at the top was sticky and didn't work half the time. By the time I got the top to work, the piston would leak fluid everywhere causing a giant mess. Converted it to manual top. Ultimately solved the problem by getting a coupe

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    [QUOTE=jimwelch;30323701]I just purchased a 2001 Z3 Roadster. The top will not work. How do I check the motor? My car has a button for the top but it doesn’t work

First check fuse #1(30A)...It should be labeled "Electro-Hydraulic Convertible Top". However, it could be one of several things that may be wrong with your auto top to include: bad motor, Micro switch, or brake switch. You can rule out the motor by disconnecting the motor and applying direct 12v to it...If it works you problem is elsewhere.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I thought all Z3s came with cruise, but I guess not. My car was a manual swap and apparently the cruise was working per PO. It's never worked (there a clutch switch hooked up to...NOTHING). I can start the car in neutral without pedal depressed. Any clue how I could get my cruise working? I bought a clutch switch as I assumed the one (that wasn't really there haha) was bad. How does the cruise control in an automatic work. I'm sure that's what I have to try to replicate, but it probably has to sense that the car is at least in gear.

My Cars
    1999 bmw z3 2.8
    My 99 convertable top is struggling when I am closing it. When opening, no problem but when I close it I have to assist it to get closed. The motor seems to be working...any ideas? Thanks.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Fluid level? The 1st most likely failure is the strut__I've had to replace a few, last one was on a 2.8...

The seal goes on the strut, causing a loss of fluid. You might be able to look down into the cavity immediately behind the LH door, and see if it's wet.

Edit: if the T-handle on the bypass valve is not fully tight (clockwise) you could see a pressure loss without a fluid loss. That's an easy one to check/fix!
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 10-23-2019 at 10:32 PM.

My Cars
    '00 Z3M, '06 Z4M
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwelch View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Get 2 wires and run them from the battery to the pump. If the motor works, check the relays. Here's how I found my problem: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Check out my M Roadster projects and DIYs:
    Cooling system part 1: https://youtu.be/ERqztIL1DPw
    Cooling system part 2: https://youtu.be/-DnclDkn2hI
    Power convertible top: https://youtu.be/KLYNqkCBh_M
    Head unit removal: https://youtu.be/LKe9fPKrAqE

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    If the piston is shot then there is a very good online repair service.
    Had a couple rebuilt. About $110 a go.

https://www.tophydraulics.com/51-reb...3-top-cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 bmw z3 2.8
    Thanks for the imfo.The fluid level is definitely low -no signs of leeks around pump ,underneath,or what i can see of strut.The strut looks like a pain to replace assuming removal of interior panels etc to access it.Also what type of hydraulic fluid? Thanks again including link for a rebuild.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    The fluid is Pentosin CHF 11S. I suggest you don't add any until you find a leak. The fluid had to go somewhere. Here's a link to the DIY on the tophydraulics site:
    https://www.tophydraulics.com/content/38-bmw-info
    The pdf has good pictures. I'll bet your piston is leaking since you haven't found any leakage under the pump. Until you get a good look, operate your top manually. Cleaning the carpet under the left hand seat is difficult--I’ve done it.
    Last edited by rasmuw; 12-18-2019 at 08:18 AM.

My Cars
    1999 bmw z3 2.8
    Looks like a no-brainer. Will attempt after hand operation this week . THANKS----ERIC

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    Hello all, resurrecting this thread in hopes to be able to solve a power top issue on my '00 M Roadster. Problem is that (power) soft top goes up, but not down.

It previously was not working at all and so I just replaced the microswitch on the drivers side and again, it seems to have fixed it going up, but now I'm not sure how to isolate the problem of it not going down (opening up the top).

I believe I've got the procedure correct with closing both doors & trunk, gear in neutral, foot on brake (brake lights are on so don't think it's the brake swtich), e-brake up, windows down, lifting the top 6-10 inches - i know that's bit more than what's probably actually required, but I did them all just to cover my bases. After doing that all, the top still won't move. No noise except for the clicking I'm doing on the button.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by billysbimmer View Post
    ... soft top goes up, but not down... replaced the microswitch on the drivers side... it seems to have fixed it going up, but now I'm not sure how to isolate the problem of it not going down...
    I thought the microswitch only allows the top to go down. Maybe your problem is still with the switch.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Have you noticed the 2 knobs located on either side of the trunk?

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    You may have a a bad panel switch or contacts that may need cleaning. Additionally, you may have a bad top down relay. The relays (Up and Down) are located on the motor (purple square boxes). You should here them click when you press the up or down button.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster
    @MIKYZZ4 - which 2 knobs are you referring to?

@delvec - I thought that could have been the issue as well so what I did today was take the two relays out and switch them. Thinking that if the open relay is bad then the function would switch, but things were still the same. Now I do hear some sort of *click* when I push the top down button, no motor sound though. To your note on the panel switch, could it be that the down button be faulty even though the up button works since they're both on the same panel/board?

Any links on how to dismount the motor in the back? I have an idea but any DIYs would be helpful
    2000 E36/7 Z3 M Roadster
    2015 F55 Mini Cooper S
    2006 E85 Z4 3.0i
    2002 E46 330i
    1995 E36 M3

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Sorry for the mix-up,
    I mistakenly thought the Z3 was similar to the Z4 mechanism, bad memory-stupid me.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    So if your relays are working then try one more test...With your top in the down position press your up button and let the top go up about a 1/4 way then press the down button. If the top goes down then your panel buttons are good. If not, you may want to check the micro switch you installed.