Thread: Ebay coilover review maxspeedingrods for e36

My Cars
    97 328is

Ebay coilover review maxspeedingrods for e36

I recently purchased a 328is on the cheap, body is clean but mechanically it has some issues, strong engine and trans though. So my shocks were blown out bad, and i wanted to replace them and lower the car without blowing a ton of money. My strut hats were cracking and i didn't want to replace them with stock or spend a small fortune on camber caster plates that would eventually be swapped out with good coilovers. I figured what the heck let's give these cheapo coilovers a shot, i can always re sell them for 1/2 the purchase price in the future. So $360 and 5 days (including a weekend) later i had these shocks and installed em. So here's my review.

First opinion out of the box, looks quality! Good machine work, good hardware, nicely packed. Noticed i was shorted three nuts off the camber plate that goes to the strut tower, no big deal?? No installation instructions but not really needed IMO.

Fitment, everything bolted up just like stock, no grinding or drilling necessary. I was shorted the three nuts for the camber plate so i used the stock nuts. It seems the stock nuts are crush nuts and messed up the finish on the threads, so hopefully other kits come with the correct nuts. There is camber adjustable from negative maybe 1 degree to what i would guess is 3-4 degrees. You need to move the screws over depending if you want closer to 0-2 or 3-4 degrees. More to come on the actual degrees when i get onto an alignment machine. The caster is not adjustable. The rear shock is way too short IMO. Im running the stock tires and wheels and i only have the rear shock on by 6 threads. I need to play with the shock and springs more but it seems the rear really has to sit low without having the rear shocks really short on threads. I wouldn't want to run any less than 4 threads. More to come as i haven't had time to really set up the ride height and shock adjustments. Installing the rears all i had to do is remove the rear shocks then pry out the springs and install the new shocks and springs, 20 min total.

Ride The front shocks feel perfect, for me. There stiff yet give for bumps. The rear shocks and springs are waaaaaay stiffer than the front. This is like when i hit a bump the front tires hit, bump, the back tires hit, BUUUMMPP!!! I literally pulled a back muscle today on a bump from my back axle. Im considering finding a softer spring or getting one custom made it's so bumpy.

Handling, just about anything with ~3-4 camber digs into the turns . Its solid given your not hitting any bumps mid turn.
    Last edited by sl0ride; 12-17-2015 at 10:45 PM.

My Cars
    97 328is
    So with the screws set to the positive angle, with a empty hole between the two (inside to out bolt, hole, bolt hole) the camber is -2.4 on both sides. I could probably get 3* if i moved the screws closest to the center out one more hole so it would be bolt,bolt,hole,hole.

My Cars
    1998 328i sedan
    Hi sloride.

thanks for the post. i am thinking of putting on my track car i am running lemons with. you indicated the rears are stiff...do you think they are too stiff for dedicated track use? any further information now that you have run them a few weeks?

thanks!

My Cars
    2000 bmw 328i
    THE BIGGEST RIPOFF

I purchased this suspension from eBay back in March 2016. I installed this kit with no directions but it was simple. I had the same complaint about the rear. The springs are way to short and the spring rate must be for a push mower. The rear shocks are also garbage. I emailed seller a number of times and he didn't want to do anything to fix the issue so I got on Craigslist and someone was selling Bilstein springs (Coils only) for 75$. I put them under the rear and that helped, but after a week the rear started getting bumpy again. I inspected and noticed the rear shock mount bushings were demolished and the spanner locks were frozen.
    I emailed the seller to have them warranted and he told me that they were over 6mos old and wasn't going to honer the 1yr warranty. I contacted eBay and explained my situation and they told me to talk to PayPal, so I called them and they told me to dispute the transaction through my bank. I disputed and got my money back.

I currently have sacs rear shocks with Bilstein springs and Maxspeedshit in the front it rides fantastic. It handles really well and sits low.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2017 Model S 100D
    Dear gtiguy1996, I want to apologize to you on behalf of maXpeedingRods, I just joined this company and take jobs to deal with customer reviews, I don't why they didn't want to do anything to fix the issue, I don't know what happened. But I know I have to make up for you. If you accept my apologize, please email us to deal with this issue. msrb2c009@gmail.com

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Do not buy this garbage unless you hate your car.

I purchased a set to replace some old racelands that came on the car, they looked nice, like all china knockoff's do, but out of the box, I had the front spherical's were bad, a ton of play, So I emailed them, and they said " Ohhhh so sorry, just send us $70 and we'll warranty them" Yea, thhts not how warranty work. Then the rear spherical's went bad, and also the rear shock rubber bushing completely disintegrated after 100miles. Very dangerous garbage, just save up for bc's if your tracking, or buy second hand legit setup. DO NOT SUPPORT $HITTY COMPANIES!

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    Some things are not good to 'cheap' out on. Shocks, brakes, tires, oil [just to name a few].
    Better to replace with OEM than to start throwing crap dangerous parts that turn your car into an ill-handling menace to society.
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi