Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: V12 conversion for 740 shorty

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Yes, and definitely more than I can spend right now. I sent a quick email, since it's Christmas eve, asking if he wanted to trade for my parts car. A very long shot but I have to try. Last resort, until I start to actually part it. Are you actively trying to sell your drivetrain, because I may need it soon;-)

Do you have the AGS you speak of?

My Cars
    99m3, 95 m3, 996tt
    Late to the discussion but this is going to be epic...slightly OT can anyone buy on copart and iaai?

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Quote Originally Posted by Jferrante View Post
    Late to the discussion but this is going to be epic...slightly OT can anyone buy on copart and iaai?
    Yes and no. Depends on the state. Most of the time you need a broker. There are many companies that provide this service. Sometimes the first purchase is free or up to a couple hundred dollars.
    Trevor
    01 749i sporty, build 12/00 "Sports Barge",S62
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F
    81 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.8T,AWW
    03 VW Passat wagon 4.0 W8 6spd

My Cars
    99m3, 95 m3, 996tt
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    Yes and no. Depends on the state. Most of the time you need a broker. There are many companies that provide this service. Sometimes the first purchase is free or up to a couple hundred dollars.
    Thank you for the info.

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Ok, guys I really need to get some quick cash for that green 750il in the Kansas city craigslist ad. So I need to sell the sport seats from the 2001 740i M-sport I have. It's stored at a friends house, but I can get pics soon. Right now I need to know if someone is interested. They are beige and no rips. I little wear in the driver side seat in the usual stitch in the bottom seat part. Must be common since mine have worn there too..

I'd rather not ship them, but I can if you have an account with a shipping company that I could drop them off. I'm not interested in getting a shipping quote right now to find out it actually cost me more.

I also have the sport steering wheel to sell too. The left side buttons are a little worn, but everything works. I can post pics of this.

Please help me out so I can get this V12 project going;-)

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    I really smell a crash and burn.....if you don't have the coin to buy the parts car how the hell are you going to finance the conversion. They are always, always 10 to 15 % over the original estimated cost to complete. You can't afford it..........
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1991 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    I really smell a crash and burn.....if you don't have the coin to buy the parts car how the hell are you going to finance the conversion. They are always, always 10 to 15 % over the original estimated cost to complete. You can't afford it..........
    +1

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    It's funny how everyone that has posted something other than negativity has said how much they support it and actually want to see this happen. I guess there are always the nay sayers...Well, just to let you know I'm not someone that can be bullied around on an online forum. I've been around long enough to know that there are a lot of people in the world who are insecure about there life and like to bring others down. So if you are only going to insult others please go on Facebook to do that...

To the actual people that would like to see this through, Let's do this. It's going to take this community to make it happen! Negative comments are not tolerated and do not help.

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8tin View Post
    It's funny how everyone that has posted something other than negativity has said how much they support it and actually want to see this happen. I guess there are always the nay sayers...Well, just to let you know I'm not someone that can be bullied around on an online forum. I've been around long enough to know that there are a lot of people in the world who are insecure about there life and like to bring others down. So if you are only going to insult others please go on Facebook to do that... To the actual people that would like to see this through, Let's do this. It's going to take this community to make it happen! Negative comments are not tolerated and do not help.
    Actually it will take your bank account to make this happen.
    Motor swaps ALWAYS cost more than planned, I've done 3 and none worked out as cheap as I thought. Don't take this as discouragement, it's been there done that advise. Many projects die because the costs get too high. Pace yourself and make sure you have the bank roll to carry it through.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    When people post comments like that they ALWAYS fall on deaf ears, and this couldn't be more true with me. None of you all really know me so no one should try to judge me and what I can do. With that being said, Trevor, what you said and how you said it is how it should have been said. Constructively...So, for that I will take it into consideration (not that I already haven't).

If I'm going to do this, I have to start somewhere, and that somewhere is the first step...buying the drivetrain. Which in the case is smartest with the rest of the car attached to it. That is my step one...I cannot do the other steps until I get step one complete. Just because I said I don't have the money doesn't mean I won't very soon.

I haven't done one this extensive before, but if I listen to all the negitive comments that people tell me than shit will never get done. In reality, this is going to cost money...Really guys? Like I wasn't aware of that. It's a BMW not a RC car. I've owned enough German cars to know that everything takes money. So I need advice that is helpful. I don't really want to hear that it's going to take a crap load of money to complete so you shouldn't even try it. Where there is a will there is a way.

Again, Trevor, this isn't directed at you. I know enough that you are respected in this community and have helped many and know what you are talking about. I'm more worried about the nay sayers that have nothing useful to add to the conversation. 105 posts and Darth finally chimes in with a ignorant post that did nothing to help.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    When people post comments like that they ALWAYS fall on deaf ears, and this couldn't be more true with me. None of you all really know me so no one should try to judge me and what I can do. With that being said, Trevor, what you said and how you said it is how it should have been said. Constructively...So, for that I will take it into consideration (not that I already haven't).

If I'm going to do this, I have to start somewhere, and that somewhere is the first step...buying the drivetrain. Which in the case is smartest with the rest of the car attached to it. That is my step one...I cannot do the other steps until I get step one complete. Just because I said I don't have the money doesn't mean I won't very soon.

I haven't done one this extensive before, but if I listen to all the negitive comments that people tell me than shit will never get done. In reality, this is going to cost money...Really guys? Like I wasn't aware of that. It's a BMW not a RC car. I've owned enough German cars to know that everything takes money. So I need advice that is helpful. I don't really want to hear that it's going to take a crap load of money to complete so you shouldn't even try it. Where there is a will there is a way.

Again, Trevor, this isn't directed at you. I know enough that you are respected in this community and have helped many and know what you are talking about. I'm more worried about the nay sayers that have nothing useful to add to the conversation. 105 posts and Darth finally chimes in with a ignorant post that did nothing to help.
    I sorry you thought it to be "ignorant" but like Trevor said I have been there and when I hear someone start by saying that they need to sell seats to get enough money to buy a parts car to begin their journey...... It is apparent they are starting a journey they have no idea of the pitfalls that await them. Having many German cars does not qualify one to accomplish an engine conversion on a German car, especially one which has not been undertaken before on this board. You would have no one to fall back on or ask that question that stumps you down the line. The easiest part of your journey would/will be to acquire that parts car and then physically remove your engine and replace it with the V12. Once that part is accomplished the fun will begin. If you think replacing an entire wiring harness from one car to another just so the the engine can talk to the car and vice versa you are just being naive. That is a major undertaking for anyone, not just a beginner.

I am not trying to tell you not to do this.....it is just apparent that you are not thinking this trough, you are just looking at the finish line.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Exactly, no one has done it. So no one really knows, but I'm not doing an S62 swap. This is something that BMW actually did. It just hasn't been done here in the states. I find it hard to believe that this will be a hard thing to do, specially if I get a whole car. I'm not saying I can do this in a day or two. That's why it would be a project. That's why I bought this car...intending to take out the current drivetrain. That's why I've talked to many on here about the S62 conversion, which is way more work from what I can see, and decided that it's too much to even do the first step which is get the drivetrain.

I'm not sure how it even makes sense to think that just because I have to sell me seats that I can't do this to completion. That is were the ignorance lies. I'm sorry that all of my car hobby money is wrapped up into a parts car. That's life. I don't have the money at the moment because my wife and I have better things to spend it on at the moment. But hey, Christmas is over....Now I can get crackin

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Exactly, no one has done it. So no one really knows, but I'm not doing an S62 swap. This is something that BMW actually did. It just hasn't been done here in the states. I find it hard to believe that this will be a hard thing to do, specially if I get a whole car. I'm not saying I can do this in a day or two. That's why it would be a project. That's why I bought this car...intending to take out the current drivetrain. That's why I've talked to many on here about the S62 conversion, which is way more work from what I can see, and decided that it's too much to even do the first step which is get the drivetrain.

I'm not sure how it even makes sense to think that just because I have to sell me seats that I can't do this to completion. That is were the ignorance lies. I'm sorry that all of my car hobby money is wrapped up into a parts car. That's life. I don't have the money at the moment because my wife and I have better things to spend it on at the moment. But hey, Christmas is over....Now I can get crackin
    Here is the problem with your rational....BMW built the 750i from the ground up....they did not convert a 740 to a 750 i !!! The difference is the electronics - two DME's vs. one in the 740. That means all the wiring associated with that 2nd DME has to figured into your finished product. That is not easy and it is not a simple install the DME in the EDU close the lid and go.............. it is the wiring to make it talk. Then don't forget the v12 requires 2 throttle bodies and two drive by wire systems - then syncing them. That is a bitch on the 750 - forget your modified 740! That is where all this wiring we speak of will be needed.

I guarantee you an S62 swap would be a piece of cake compared to your planned undertaking. Go search the post on the guy from Taiwan and the trouble he went thru with an army of mechanics to complete his change. Oh, and the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ it took to complete!

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Don't let the comments of negativity or rather rationality discourage you. Also don't let all the positive comments encourage you into doing something stupid... they're not the ones funding your expensive project. There are reasons why the M73 swap hasn't been performed and the S62 is more common. Most are in search of power, not the distinctive sound of a V12. I absolutely love the sound of the V12 despite its mediocre power and would personally take the M73 over the S62 due to sound alone... but when I even asked Dima (DUDMD) his thoughts on doing the swap his own words were... just get a 750.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by PiotrC70 View Post
    Don't let the comments of negativity or rather rationality discourage you. Also don't let all the positive comments encourage you into doing something stupid... they're not the ones funding your expensive project. There are reasons why the M73 swap hasn't been performed and the S62 is more common. Most are in search of power, not the distinctive sound of a V12. I absolutely love the sound of the V12 despite its mediocre power and would personally take the M73 over the S62 due to sound alone... but when I even asked Dima (DUDMD) his thoughts on doing the swap his own words were... just get a 750.
    Totally agree. A 750i v12 isnt that much cooler or better than a 750iL. Just get a 750 sport and swap in the 3.15 differential and be done and happy with tons of money left to spend elsewhere...

My Cars
    740i Sport
    I'm trying to understand as I too would like to eventually do this conversion just for my like of the uniqueness.
    It would seem to me that other than the bracket that needs to be welded into the engine compartment and relocating the auxiliary water pump and valve, basically the drivetrain, drive accessories, related hoses, all electronics and wiring is being transferred from one car to another?
    Having changed out a wiring harness I understand the struggle of this part, however I'm confused as to where this is almost an impossible undertaking given all the parts that are needed, are swapped from the 750 to the 740.

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    A guy who lives not to far from me did a m73 into his E34 Touring which included swapping the entire wiring loom.
    If he could do it into his E34 which wasn't made for it then I fail to see why it cant be done in a E38. At least with the E38 it's going to be a direct swap from one E38 to another.
    Heres his build thread. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=502437
    If you have a donor car then you have everything you need. No customization or fabrication as everything should be a direct swap.
    All it will need is a lot of time and patience.
    OP, find a wreck for cheap and make this happen. But I do think you will need an entire donor car to do this cause in the end it'll be cheaper to buy a whole car than looking around for bits and pieces here and there.
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    I spent a good amount of time looking at this with WDS yesterday and didn't yet find any wiring outside the engine bay that needs to be changed.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2001 750iL
    Just dig in and do it man. Accept that because you seem to be breaking new ground there may be a major pita or three along the way and dive in. Come back here with questions and I'm sure you'll get any help people can give. Nobody here wants to see you fail. Even the ones that don't believe you can succeed.

My Cars
    1998 740iL, 2000 A6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan750iL View Post
    Just dig in and do it man. Accept that because you seem to be breaking new ground there may be a major pita or three along the way and dive in. Come back here with questions and I'm sure you'll get any help people can give. Nobody here wants to see you fail. Even the ones that don't believe you can succeed.
    +1

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    I spent a good amount of time looking at this with WDS yesterday and didn't yet find any wiring outside the engine bay that needs to be changed.
    Right. I haven't looked yet but I suspect the car connects to the EML and then the EML tells the 2 DMEs what to do.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Will it need an EKat delete?

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Not need, but it would make it a HECK of a lot easier and cheaper (also removes the dual battery requirement).
    I would never recommend keeping ekats with this swap.

My Cars
    01 749iM/6 sporty
    Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    Will it need an EKat delete?
    I don't know. Is the harness part of the engine or chassis? If it's part of the engine harness all the wiring would be together and come out with the O2 wires.
    Again I haven't looked into it.
    Trevor
    92 VW Corrado VR6,AAA
    81 Delorean,B28F

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by 007008 View Post
    I don't know. Is the harness part of the engine or chassis? If it's part of the engine harness all the wiring would be together and come out with the O2 wires.
    Again I haven't looked into it.
    Signal comes over CAN from the DME to module, power to module comes from the dual battery positive cable.
    Module sends power cables to the cats.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast