Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: V12 conversion for 740 shorty

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    I see. I think I knew the torque rating would be more but wasn't aware of the bellhousing pattern as I thought both the V12 and the V8 are the same.
    If they had the same bellhousings, there would be a lot more 750il 6-speeds out there.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    True.

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    My budget it however much money I can make of the parts car that I have. Right now it's stored at a friends house. I'm trying to get it towed back next month. I have a transmission to swap in, but I don't like to do things twice. I don't have the resources/tools to swap drivetrains out. Now that I have been told of the common transmission failure of the 5hp24, how long can I expect the other one to last? That's why I've been researching the parts it needs and videos on how to rebuild it.

The V12 swap started because I wondered how much more reliable the 5hp30 if at all, which no one has commented on. Because if I can get a 750 for the price of a complete M62tu drivetrain (because that's what I will need if I keep this car running) than obviously the V12 is a no brainer. I don't care that I have to swap it all over and move a couple things to make it fit. It comes down to cost. and right now the $1500-2000 is too much until I start selling parts.

I still want the S62, but price is the issue. Plus I'm still not sure about this car to be the right one. It still needs body work for dents and a whole respray, which that cost is a lot.

My Cars
    E38 E36
    After all that's been written here, it still seems to me if you want a 750i, cutting a 750iL in half and removing the required amount of body is a better option. You can do all the interior removal and wire loom disconnecting and tying off to each half of the car as necessary. And if you talk to a body shop that specializes in limo conversions about it you'll see it's not all that impractical. If I had the Huevos to do this conversion that's the route I'd go.

If it's power you want and a 6-speed go the S62, and if it's power and an automatic consider the M62TUB46 route.
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt C View Post
    After all that's been written here, it still seems to me if you want a 750i, cutting a 750iL in half and removing the required amount of body is a better option. You can do all the interior removal and wire loom disconnecting and tying off to each half of the car as necessary. And if you talk to a body shop that specializes in limo conversions about it you'll see it's not all that impractical. If I had the Huevos to do this conversion that's the route I'd go.

If it's power you want and a 6-speed go the S62, and if it's power and an automatic consider the M62TUB46 route.
    Having seen the aftermath of crashed vehicles that have been joined together as your suggesting I wouldn't go down this route in good conscience. Adding length to a car to create a limo is fine when your adding strength to the sub frame/chassis. Simply cutting a car in half as you suggest and removing a section to join it back together will leave the vehicle severely weakened and dangerous. In NZ this is now illegal and I was sure it was illegal in the States too.
    And the OP has already said a few times that the S62 is not financially an option and that it's not entirely about more power. Cool factor is what he's after.
    Technically the M73 conversion shouldn't be too difficult if sticking with the right years body and motor so why not build a shorty 750i?
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    '01 740i Sport, '13 Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by kulgan View Post
    Having seen the aftermath of crashed vehicles that have been joined together as your suggesting I wouldn't go down this route in good conscience. Simply cutting a car in half as you suggest and removing a section to join it back together will leave the vehicle severely weakened and dangerous.
    Not true, and it's not illegal and has been done successfully thousands of times to make shorty vehicles, like this VW Bus:

Same with other cars (also not photoshops):

That Mercedes is a prime example of it done well, turning a Pullman into a shorter coupe. Most are disproportionate, but all are safe. A good weld is a good weld and will be stronger than the surrounding metal, so it'll be no less safe than a stock example. Tack welds and bono are bad, and some, yes, are done that way. But a correctly welded car will be no different than a modded street rod or full custom. Or a car with a shortened or stepped frame or a body dropped truck.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Hmm ... so a two door E38?

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    Just as an out-there idea, how about a shorty 750i COUPE? I've wanted to build one for years... The only hard part for me would be the side glass. Did a pshop of what that might look like:

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Hmm ... so a two door E38?
    Yes! Someone needs to do this too.

But xlr8in is going to whip us back on task in a minute!

I think the 750i conversion is a winner. It may be some work but we all know that's half the fun. Don't do it just to get rid of the 5hp24 transmission, or as a way to save money. Do it because it is cool and would make you feel good.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
    Not true, and it's not illegal and has been done successfully thousands of times to make shorty vehicles, like this VW Bus:

Same with other cars (also not photoshops):

That Mercedes is a prime example of it done well, turning a Pullman into a shorter coupe. Most are disproportionate, but all are safe. A good weld is a good weld and will be stronger than the surrounding metal, so it'll be no less safe than a stock example. Tack welds and bono are bad, and some, yes, are done that way. But a correctly welded car will be no different than a modded street rod or full custom. Or a car with a shortened or stepped frame or a body dropped truck.
    Showing me pictures on the internet wont make me believe any of them are safe. As I said, I've on more than one occasion seen the aftermath(in a professional capacity) of one of these that's been wrecked and it's not pretty.. And they are illegal in NZ unless certified which in itself is a lengthy and cost prohibitive procedure.

In any case. To have this done professionally would still cost a hell of a lot more than to transplant a motor and trans from a donor car.
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    I don't think anyone has addressed the 5HP30 reliability question.

Most evidence will be anecdotal, but I believe that in 750s, I have seen more issues with them at lower miles (~120k) than the 5HP24s.
    The earlier version pre-facelift also had a few issues such as the valve body check balls and pistons.

That said, I don't think that they are that bad either, and I certainly wouldn't be scared away from them. It is a very nice and smooth transmission when in good shape.

I don't think the wiring for the swap is as bad as it is being made out to be in here; there are not a whole lot of lines of communication between the engine bay and the interior electronics.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkitect View Post
    Yes! Someone needs to do this too.

But xlr8in is going to whip us back on task in a minute!

I think the 750i conversion is a winner. It may be some work but we all know that's half the fun. Don't do it just to get rid of the 5hp24 transmission, or as a way to save money. Do it because it is cool and would make you feel good.

Someone has to. Too many getting carried away, which I admit is usually me

And yes, it would most likely be for the WOW factor. I wouldn't get it to replace the trans, I was mostly asking to make sure I wouldn't be swapping in a trans that was even worse. Yes, I would want to do it because it would be cool to have and no one else around me has one. Although, most everyone wouldn't even realize the rarity of it, but hey, so what.

I'm pretty interested in making this happen, but I see that it will take a while to source one that isn't already $5k. But this will give me time to save up. It would be nice to find one that is loaded so I can swap everything over that fits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psjr View Post
    I don't think anyone has addressed the 5HP30 reliability question.

Most evidence will be anecdotal, but I believe that in 750s, I have seen more issues with them at lower miles (~120k) than the 5HP24s.
    The earlier version pre-facelift also had a few issues such as the valve body check balls and pistons.

That said, I don't think that they are that bad either, and I certainly wouldn't be scared away from them. It is a very nice and smooth transmission when in good shape.

I don't think the wiring for the swap is as bad as it is being made out to be in here; there are not a whole lot of lines of communication between the engine bay and the interior electronics.
    Thank you, no one has just yet.

Isn't the 5hp30's also in the E34 540i? Because I have had to rebuild the valve body in a couple. No where near like rebuilding the whole trans like the 5hp24.

So do you think even trying it with a pre facelift 750 and swapping the wire run would be possible, even for someone that hasn't done it yet? Is most everything else the same between the 750 and 740s? like fuel pump, lights, seats, etc..? I really don't want to get into it and realize there is a huge issue that makes me scrap the whole thing.

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    A ton of work to reduce by six measly inches. By the time you get it running we will be able to import 750i's from Europe.

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Ok, here is the biggest issue between the iL and i (in my eyes) I like lowering the car so the wheel well it right above the tires. I absolutely hate the 4x4 look of the stock suspension.

I had an iL that was lowered the way I like it, and it bottomed out over every speed bump no matter how big. Now with the i I have it lowered to practically the same height and I never bottom out. It's ultimately why I sold the iL.

So yes...6 measly inches is huge in my eyes which to me is what matters. Pretty soon this car will be my project car once I get my wife a car, and the amount of work it takes to complete it will be irrelevant.

Besides, think how much fun it will be when done!

My Cars
    E38 E36
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8tin View Post
    Ok, here is the biggest issue between the iL and i (in my eyes) I like lowering the car so the wheel well it right above the tires. I absolutely hate the 4x4 look of the stock suspension.

I had an iL that was lowered the way I like it, and it bottomed out over every speed bump no matter how big. Now with the i I have it lowered to practically the same height and I never bottom out. It's ultimately why I sold the iL.

So yes...6 measly inches is huge in my eyes which to me is what matters. Pretty soon this car will be my project car once I get my wife a car, and the amount of work it takes to complete it will be irrelevant.

Besides, think how much fun it will be when done!
    "Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 3:15 open differential with an M5 sway-bar outback, a 4.4 liter V-8 with Bosch sequential fuel injection, four cams, 32 valves, VANOS units using Beisan Systems seals, 10 to 1 pistons, a conservative 282 macht schnell horsepower, all planted to the earth with AC Schnitzer Type II Racing Wheels and Michelin PS2s at all four corners, an M5 rear sway-bar outback, and a Strong-Strut tower brace up front. We're talkin' some Deutschland muscle."

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    You had me at OK.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    '95 740i
    I'd take the 5HP30 over the 24 1000x a day.

|| 1995 740i || M60B40 || DUDMD || ̶o̶r̶i̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶b̶l̶u̶e̶ Mercedes Brilliant Blue Metallic || Style 168 Wheels 1" Spacers ||

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Good to know!

Thanks Kurt and Clark!

Now I need to start a gofundme page;-)

My Cars
    1997 750 IL
    Heh, GL, I'd like to see it happen. Would def be cool and rare in the USA

My Cars
    1991 850i
    Copart.com
    Iaai.com

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by pavrom View Post
    Copart.com
    Iaai.com
    Way to go Pavrom.
    Found 5 on these sites.
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    08 335i 6 Spd, 95 740i

I'm looking for sport seats, Sand

Quote Originally Posted by xlr8tin View Post
    Orient Blue will have to do for now.

I might have to sell the sport seats out of my other parts car first before I buy the 750il. Who wants them? Biege
    I'm interested in your seats.

Sounds like a wonderful project, too cool.
    Absolutely for fun, enjoyment and sharing

Honeeey! What happened to the car? "Oh, it was running poorly dear, the shop said maybe the engine was undersized, so we shoehorned in, ah sorry, replaced it with the biggest engine they make, you know, the one that goes in the Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph?" It should run fine now.

My 5HP30 is original and has 263K on it. It's recommended that the valve body be rebuilt at the first fluid change (100K). Most people don't get the message about this including me till recently. Check ball degrades evidently and they improve some other bits. I've not done mine, but those who have say it makes a big difference in smoothness.
    Last edited by oooeemrlee; 12-19-2015 at 04:17 AM. Reason: additional data
    "Your focus is your reality" - Qui Gon Jinn

In the Paddock:
    2008 335i Coupe, Alpine White over Coral Red, 6 Speed: Modded
    1995 740i Alpine White, Sand. 260,000 miles, still hummin'!

Previously owned:
    1985 533i, 1988 535iS, 1988 325iX, 1990 325iX/4/5, 1995 ///M3, 1997 ///M3/4/5, 1997 ///M3, 2000 323i, 2001 ///M5, 1999 740iL

BMWCCA # 90345

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    Quote Originally Posted by pavrom View Post
    Copart.com
    Iaai.com
    This is awesome, Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by kulgan View Post
    Way to go Pavrom.
    Found 5 on these sites.
    Shoot, I'll have to look again, because I didn't see anything

Quote Originally Posted by oooeemrlee View Post
    I'm interested in your seats.

Sounds like a wonderful project, too cool.
    Absolutely for fun, enjoyment and sharing

Honeeey! What happened to the car? "Oh, it was running poorly dear, the shop said maybe the engine was undersized, so we shoehorned in, ah sorry, replaced it with the biggest engine they make, you know, the one that goes in the Rolls-Royce Silver Seraph?" It should run fine now.

My 5HP30 is original and has 263K on it. It's recommended that the valve body be rebuilt at the first fluid change (100K). Most people don't get the message about this including me till recently. Check ball degrades evidently and they improve some other bits. I've not done mine, but those who have say it makes a big difference in smoothness.
    LMAO! I love it. It went a little different, but if I typed the conversation would be equally funny I assure you.

As far as the seats, I'm not really sure how to ship them so I don't pay a fortune and lose money. Would you happen to have an account with a company or an easy way to do it?

My Cars
    1999 750i 1995 740i
    I'm at work so cant look up laai.com. I think there where 4 on that site and only this one on Copart.com.

http://www.copart.com/us/Lot/3509848...chId=914256979
    95 740i 99 750i

My Cars
    2013 750li Xdrive Msport
    See, that one didn't even show up so I must be searching wrong. I found a few all 1996 or 1995. Is the 1998 one late enough though? Everyone keeps saying 99-01 is best so I'm not real sure which to get. Makes sense to go with a newer one, but finding one is tough

psjr has one, and may know of another, but he won't get back on to reply to my PM...so we wait. I asked if he wanted to trade parts cars;-)

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast