Thread: The E39 Off-Topic lounge ***NO PROFANITY***.

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by philly98540 View Post
    I have a Craftsman mower with a Honda engine for over 10 years now. Open box cheapo score.
    We may have the same one. Off season, last of stock sale. Needed one and figured the brands combined were a good bet.
    Changed the oil once, replaced the plug once and remembered to drain the gas twice.
    What's impressive beyond the reliability is how easy it starts. A gentle 2/3rds pull is all it takes.
    If the little one is running around and I leave it unsupervised, damn sure I'm disconnecting the ignition wire.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Jerry .. 85 Toyo MR2 140K .. ( 20V wiring gremlins *grrrr* )
    Björn .. 03 BMW 540i///M 148K .. ( beat up allstar *oof* )
    Gerta .. 03 BMW 540iT&A 151K .. ( chain guide triage *shakes head* )
    Franz .. 96 BMW 318ti 207k .. ( the new, new daily *GRIN* )
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Ah, found my stash of MR2 pics.

It was some guy's track toy, 2nd owner. He decided he desired torque and opted for a DOHC Mustang instead.
    1st owner was actually a big deal w/ Windy City BMWCCA. Barbara Adams' 1st husband supposedly. The original M3 was delayed so he bought this in the meantime.
    *shrugs*

It's lowered on some very stiff springs, but they served well for a couple of track days. Commuting is a little ... bumpy.

Still, tunes are now awesome. None when I got, so a throwback look midrange Kenwood head unit driving some Alpine coaxes in the dash. Line out to 300W Alpine amp mono to a JL 8" sealed box. No, there's not really room for it, just shoved in behind pass seat. Left over from Sentra days.
    Just added an aux in so our entire library is available. And the CD player does skip a bit with those stiff springs. *shakes head*

Hop in

Last edited by paul p; 06-27-2017 at 01:18 AM.
    Hang up & Drive!
    Wendy .. 20 Honda Refrigerator 28k .. ( for the wife and kids, has flappy paddles? *squint* )
    Resistance was Futile...

"Now, it takes me three months just to fix a door lock because .. crying babies" - rammstein

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Cool! My '86 had the same interior as that one. Is the stock subwoofer box still underneath the drivers seat? Lol, it was small, it was funny, but that little 5 1/4" subwoofer made a small difference with the stock crap radio that was in that thing.
    You know, Kicker has a small 8" subwoofer with a built in 150 watt amp that wood fit perfectly behind the seats now.
    I had one of those 6" Bazookas behind the passenger seat, with Polk Audio 2 way components in the dash, tweeters up by the mirrors. Loved that car!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    are rusting away
    My brother just traded in his well maintained but very rusty E39 528i for a dad car. Used to be my car, my first BMW. Kinda sad to see it go, the thing runs so smooth and has had all the major things taken care of such as fuel pump, cooling system, alternator and suspension. The two things letting it down were the rust on all the doors, rear quarters and boot, plus a weird electrical problem where the float shorted out the external temp sensor and then neither worked and nobody could figure out why. If the the float was connected to the instrument cluster it would cause havoc with the temp sensor. Probably a problem with the cluster ground or the wiring somewhere, we just never could figure it out. Still though, the car runs so smooth despite having 250k miles on the clock. But still, the rust just killed it on value, managed to get $560 on the trade in. Still pulled the recovered M steering wheel off it and swapped my boat steering wheel on so he got another $120 off me, we're parting out some minor stuff so he'll get $800 back from it all in. But values have tanked on these cars.
    Last edited by MehMan; 06-27-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    Live slow, die whenever

My Cars
    1997 540I 6 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by MehMan View Post
    My brother just traded in his well maintained but very rusty E39 528i for a dad car. Used to be my car, my first BMW. Kinda sad to see it go, the thing runs so smooth and has had all the major things taken care of such as fuel pump, cooling system, alternator and suspension. The two things letting it down were the rust on all the doors, rear quarters and boot, plus a weird electrical problem where the float shorted out the external temp sensor and then neither worked and nobody could figure out why. If the the float was connected to the instrument cluster it would cause havoc with the temp sensor. Probably a problem with the cluster ground or the wiring somewhere, we just never could figure it out. Still though, the car runs so smooth despite having 250k miles on the clock. But still, the rust just killed it on value, managed to get $560 on the trade in. Still pulled the recovered M steering wheel off it and swapped my boat steering wheel on so he got another $120 off me, we're parting out some minor stuff so he'll get $800 back from it all in. But values have tanked on these cars.
    That's because maintenance costs can quickly cost more than the cars worth
    2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.3 KB - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6 - Garage Queen
    2008 F-250 - Tune/Delete/Studs - Lifted - BroDozer
    1994 Cobra #2277 of 5009
    1993 Gen 1 Lightning #5194
    1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
    2015 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ
    2015 Hyundai Sonota Sport
    1997 BMW 540i
    My Youtube

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by paul p View Post

Still, tunes are now awesome. None when I got, so a throwback look midrange Kenwood head unit driving some Alpine coaxes in the dash. Line out to 300W Alpine amp mono to a JL 8" sealed box. No, there's not really room for it, just shoved in behind pass seat. Left over from Sentra days.
    Just added an aux in so our entire library is available. And the CD player does skip a bit with those stiff springs. *shakes head*

Hop in

How does it sound?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Like a four pot banger.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    2013 335i, $16,500 with 97K. I sold the E39 unfortunatly though, but luckily it went to another enthusiast whos dad is very knowledgable on these older bimmers. But it was time I get a daily with less miles for now. Does not seem like maintanence will be too difficult on the F30.

95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Like the wheels. Congrats.

My Cars
    1993 525i 1995 553i
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Like the wheels. Congrats.
    Thanks, could use new brake rotors or just braking harder. Seems like there is a lot of ingrained rust.
    95 E34 553i6 LS TR6060 Project
    93 E34 525iA Beater with no heater
    VANOS kicked in yo!

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    I use a Bad Boy zero turn, damn things got 4 Big Gulp class cup holders, obviously not designed by BMW....
    TRUTH

The atomic skateboard obv doesn't have them either. But kid boosters do. Lulz
    Hang up & Drive!
    Resistance was Futile...

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Like a four pot banger.
    Duh.
    Gotta love the 8k RPM redline

My Cars
    540i6 540iT 318ti
    Cool! My '86 had the same interior as that one. Is the stock subwoofer box still underneath the drivers seat? Lol, it was small, it was funny, but that little 5 1/4" subwoofer made a small difference with the stock crap radio that was in that thing.
    Yeah, the late 80s interior is more ... plush. Meh
    No audio equipment at all when I got it. Half wired gauge panel.
    That under seat sub was the best they could do I guess. Any larger speaker in a box would have helped.

You know, Kicker has a small 8" subwoofer with a built in 150 watt amp that wood fit perfectly behind the seats now.
    I had one of those 6" Bazookas behind the passenger seat, with Polk Audio 2 way components in the dash, tweeters up by the mirrors. Loved that car!
    Think the trick is to build a box that's vertical in volume VS horizontal. I'll assume the Polk unit is ported. I really prefer a sealed box sonically.
    Bass is meant to be felt as much as heard
    Hang up & Drive!
    Resistance was Futile...

My Cars
    2003 525i
    My life is now 85% complete.

Bumped the fist and grabbed the hand of Roger Waters last night. Have tons of shots to sift through. But here's one from the DSLR and a screengrab from a 4K video, respectively:

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Damn, That's awesome, Nick! Where was this at?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by XCRN View Post
    2013 335i, $16,500 with 97K. I sold the E39 unfortunatly though, but luckily it went to another enthusiast whos dad is very knowledgable on these older bimmers. But it was time I get a daily with less miles for now. Does not seem like maintanence will be too difficult on the F30.
    Nice! You're massively wrong about it having BMW feel but, hey you're a kid and you just dunno what a BMW should be like so that's not your fault. ;P

Srsly I'm sure its a nice car. Best of luck with 'not too difficult' - everything I hear from the pros is that the newer cars have big hassles in working on them, but with time people will figure out the tricks and issues I'm sure...

Quote Originally Posted by freethrowdunk View Post
    Bumped the fist and grabbed the hand of Roger Waters last night.
    Did you ask him "are you as much of a dick as everybody says you are?". Again ;P

I love his music but like many music talents I guess he's just an unbearably arrogant A-hole. I've read interviews w/ him and it even comes off in those... To be fair, some say (mixed reports) Gilmour's not supposed to be any prize either... But Waters is in good company, plenty of guys like Van Morrison, Lou Reed, Prince... all notorious ego-maniacal d-bags and a-holes to people even if they made or wrote genius material
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Damn, That's awesome, Nick! Where was this at?
    Staples Center. This was my third night. Saw him twice from afar last week. But this show was the icing on top. Simply amazing! Still bereft of words!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Did you ask him "are you as much of a dick as everybody says you are?". Again ;P

I love his music but like many music talents I guess he's just an unbearably arrogant A-hole. I've read interviews w/ him and it even comes off in those... To be fair, some say (mixed reports) Gilmour's not supposed to be any prize either... But Waters is in good company, plenty of guys like Van Morrison, Lou Reed, Prince... all notorious ego-maniacal d-bags and a-holes to people even if they made or wrote genius material
    I think we discussed this when I posted pictures from my Gilmour concerts last year lol. But yeah, Roger himself has conceded that he's been a dick on occasion.
    I feel as though he's "settled down" a bit with age, however. He couldn't thank the crowd enough tonight and the two previous nights I saw him do this show.
    Though I'm pretty sure he wasn't too fond of me snapping so many pictures and taking so much video lol!

In "Picture That" of his new album, one line reads: "Follow me filming myself at the show/ On a phone from a seat in the very front row"

That line was most certainly written with people like me in mind

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah... just rubbin in the Waters-hate again...

To be fair re: those lyrics - no, YOU weren't taking selfies (at last as far as we see here), you were taking pix/vid of the actual show at least.

I agree w/ the selfie thing - those frickin people ... "its not about being in the moment and immersing in the experience, it's about constantly recording ME and broadcasting that to the internet to show I'm important!". That crap IS annoying, you see it all the time. I have major league baseball season tix and the number of people who come to the game and spend the entire time texting, taking selfies, and otherwise staring at their phones is absolutely appalling. OK so modern baseball is slow as crap, send a message here or there, check a quick email... no problem... but the WHOLE time? Yep the whole time. (in Boston we call them 'pink hats' after the type of gear they buy in the pro shop... they're also the ones that applaud for pop outs cuz "he really hit that one high!"...)

Hey I take pix at events - ballgames, concerts, whatever. But its more about "WOW THIS IS GREAT I WANT TO REMEMBER IT LATER", and its "take a few quick pix and then get back to enjoying the groove/game/whatever" and I almost NEVER take a selfie... unless its with my wife for my mother in law who just lives for that shit.

/selfiehater
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yeah... just rubbin in the Waters-hate again...

To be fair re: those lyrics - no, YOU weren't taking selfies (at last as far as we see here), you were taking pix/vid of the actual show at least.

I agree w/ the selfie thing - those frickin people ... "its not about being in the moment and immersing in the experience, it's about constantly recording ME and broadcasting that to the internet to show I'm important!". That crap IS annoying, you see it all the time. I have major league baseball season tix and the number of people who come to the game and spend the entire time texting, taking selfies, and otherwise staring at their phones is absolutely appalling. OK so modern baseball is slow as crap, send a message here or there, check a quick email... no problem... but the WHOLE time? Yep the whole time. (in Boston we call them 'pink hats' after the type of gear they buy in the pro shop... they're also the ones that applaud for pop outs cuz "he really hit that one high!"...)

Hey I take pix at events - ballgames, concerts, whatever. But its more about "WOW THIS IS GREAT I WANT TO REMEMBER IT LATER", and its "take a few quick pix and then get back to enjoying the groove/game/whatever" and I almost NEVER take a selfie... unless its with my wife for my mother in law who just lives for that shit.

/selfiehater
    Yeah, I hear you. These people are insufferable morons. And it didn't occur to me that the lyrics are describing morons filming themselves until your mentioning it of it here haha! That makes sense.

I definitely relish my own footage of such events--if there's anything I come close to worshiping, it's Pink Floyd and all its constituent parts so you bet I am going to attend prepared with all kinds of equipment--and can't quite feel the same effect even if it was my best friend filming the thing whilst next to me on his own camera or phone.

That said, I took one selfie with a buddy of mine who's an astrophysicist/cosmologist at his behest after the show. I had a ticket in the second row and by intermission, the two seats directly in front of me were still vacant. When he came down to chat a bit, it occurred to me that he could take my seat while I took one of the two vacant ones in front. Worked like a charm. And that's what allowed me to more easily grab Waters' hand as he went down from the stage and shook most people's hands in the first two rows. It would have been more difficult to achieve this from the second row for sure. And he's doing this every night at all venues.

Anyway, I'm in the blue...

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Well, you already know I've set the controls for the heart of the sun, I'm just on there for the ride....

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Well, you already know I've set the controls for the heart of the sun, I'm just on there for the ride....

My Cars
    ///M5
    Current
    2005 E55 AMG
    1998 Silverado K1500
    1964 Impala
    ​1964 Chevelle 496ci

Past

2000 Avus M5
    1988 Suburban K1500
    1987 Suburban K2500
    2007 Suburban
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2000 MGM
    1999 K2500 Suburban
    2001 Stratus 740i Msport
    1990 750iL
    1995 540i/6
    1996 MGM

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Damn. Hyway destroyer!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Can I borrow some money from you guys? I have a genuine reason to buy that Benz.

Page 230 of 341 FirstFirst ... 130180205220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236237238239240255280330 ... LastLast