Thread: Center drag link removal DIY.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

Center drag link removal DIY.

Wanted to put together a quick DIY on center drag link removal, specifically from the pitman arm. Did some searching and most threads recommend taking it in to the shop where they would use a giant fork with a giant hammer to separate. This can't be good for steering box!
    I had some sloppiness in the steering so decided to tackle this today. I bought new BMW center draglink, new Delphi idler arm and Karlyn tie rod links.
    I have a high quality ball joint separator that I used to remove tie rod links, however it was waay to thick to fit in between pitman arm and draglink! I did some research and found a thinner separator at harbor freight tools for $23.

ForumRunner_20151212_192230.png

It still did not fit in all the way!!
    I grabbed a grinder and cut apart the draglink housing in 2 places, then removed it using pliers.

ForumRunner_20151212_192420.png

Additional space allowed me to insert the separator all the way!

ForumRunner_20151212_192513.png

After a gunshot like pop!

ForumRunner_20151212_192548.png

Idler arm is held in by 1 bolt, in order to remove the bolt from the top heat shield needs to be moved to the side, another 3 10mm bolts and the center drag link was dragged out from underneath the car!

ForumRunner_20151212_192820.png

Time for a beer!
    Last edited by dragon850; 12-13-2015 at 01:34 AM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    BTW, $200 for only available center drag link is stupid imo when BMW part has clear TRW stamped in it! But TRW does not sell this to consumers, we have to buy BMW part...

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    I'm not following this... I was able to separate the ball joints at the steering box arm and idler arm with that same Harbor freight ball joint tool easily, without having to grind down anything. This was to replace the steering box. The harbor freight tool is ideal for this and avoids damage to the ball joint rubber seals.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by BMSman View Post
    I'm not following this... I was able to separate the ball joints at the steering box arm and idler arm with that same Harbor freight ball joint tool easily, without having to grind down anything. This was to replace the steering box. The harbor freight tool is ideal for this and avoids damage to the ball joint rubber seals.
    I tried using a hammer to bang the HF tool into the clearance to no avail, possibly in my case I had much tighter clearance than you did... this explains the pop sounded literally like a gun shot after tightening the bolt almost to the point where I could not twist it by hand!
    So before cutting the housing off try out the HF tool to see if it will fit in all the way.

-

My Cars
    not enough
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    BTW, $200 for only available center drag link is stupid imo when BMW part has clear TRW stamped in it! But TRW does not sell this to consumers, we have to buy BMW part...
    Arg...thanks for this info. I still have to get this to do my front end on the Csi and was wondering if it was cheaper anywhere....sux!
    CB42366 - 1991 850i 6-speed. Brilliantrot & Black Nappa Leather
    CD00144 - 1994 850CSi. Hellrot & Black Nappa Leather

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    I bought a second TRW branded center link some time back, forgetting that I had already changed it until I found my prior receipt. I'll let it go for what I paid: It was closer to $150 on sale.
    What "thumbs up" really means

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    I was able to get a TRW one for a lot less as well, but it was a few years ago.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Yeah I heard TRW was available once upon a time, I searched high and low recently... No luck. Purchased OEM bmw part$$$, what arrived was TRW stamped part!

My Cars
    M70 6sp. 540iT, 535is
    Wow! n/e, only dealer.. ran it through my suppliers, only dealer.. 221 list.. for e38 list 297 (trw-135). so for us e31 owners is still reasonable for genuine center tie rod assembly

My Cars
    not enough
    this is weird...did a quick search for "e31 center link" on ebay and two kits show same picture but one is supposedly "Bilstein" and one "OEM". I wasn't aware Bilstein made these parts for our cars...other than strut inserts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e31-91-9...BVl4MI&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e31-91-9...9WDjVd&vxp=mtr

Olin may have to reach out to you about that center link.

My other projects:
    Supercharged Tbirds, V8 Tbirds, V8 Mustang Convertible, Audi V8 Quattro & Audi S8

My Cars
    BMW 850
    Are you running slicks on the 8 Dragon?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    ForumRunner_20151214_180806.png

No just regular performance 275/40zr18

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    this is weird...did a quick search for "e31 center link" on ebay and two kits show same picture but one is supposedly "Bilstein" and one "OEM". I wasn't aware Bilstein made these parts for our cars...other than strut inserts.
    I installed Febi Bilstein center link on my E32 750, did not want to buy a cheapo no name one, works well since 1 years, nothing to complain and the price was fine.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    When Bilstein expanded their manufacturing facility into China they began making quite a bit of parts for our cars. I have purchased a boat load of Bilstein E31 of parts from ECS like fan clutch, blade, hoses..ectr.., most of them had made in China stamped or stickered on them, however I was not disappointed with quality... well except for their tie rod links, did not look too hot. I purchased Karlyn this time around, they turned out to be less than desirable quality as well, one of the adjustment bolts stripped with minimal torque..WTH! Karlyn use to be made in USA and top notch quality, not anymore..
    The TRW/OEM BMW drag link looks very solid and high quality! Also the idler arm I got was made by Delphi and looked very solid construction with nice packaging...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e31-91-9...BVl4MI&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e31-91-9...9WDjVd&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dragon850; 12-14-2015 at 10:42 PM.

My Cars
    not enough
    When Bilstein expanded their manufacturing facility into China they began making quite a bit of parts for our cars. I have purchased a boat load of Bilstein E31 of parts from ECS like fan clutch, blade, hoses..ectr.., most of them had made in China stamped or stickered on them, however I was not disappointed with quality... well except for their tie rod links, did not look too hot. I purchased Karlyn this time around, they turned out to be less than desirable quality as well, one of the adjustment bolts stripped with minimal torque..WTH! Karlyn use to be made in USA and top notch quality, not anymore..
    The TRW/OEM BMW drag link looks very solid and high quality! Also the idler arm I got was made by Delphi and looked very solid construction with nice good packaging...
    Interesting...what made me weary about those two links was....same seller, same exact picture, two different products? One claiming to be OEM....so there is potentially a big difference between both advertised items. This is of particular interest to me since the last pieces I need for a complete front end steering/suspension build (sans shocks/springs) are center link, tie rods & sway bar links.

My other projects:

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Interesting...what made me weary about those two links was....same seller, same exact picture, two different products? One claiming to be OEM....so there is potentially a big difference between both advertised items. This is of particular interest to me since the last pieces I need for a complete front end steering/suspension build (sans shocks/springs) are center link, tie rods & sway bar links.
    Don't forget the idler arm since you're in there. As far as links concerned I went ahead and installed Karlyn since I had them after changing stripped bolt... I would not recommend Karlyn or Bilstein for these, judjung from center link maybe TRW are better quality..

My Cars
    not enough
    I tried using a hammer to bang the HF tool into the clearance to no avail, possibly in my case I had much tighter clearance than you did... this explains the pop sounded literally like a gun shot after tightening the bolt almost to the point where I could not twist it by hand!
    So before cutting the housing off try out the HF tool to see if it will fit in all the way.

-
    Do you happen to have the PN for that tool? Need to get it, should be doing my front end soon...just gathering the last parts

My other projects:

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

Do you happen to have the PN for that tool? Need to get it, should be doing my front end soon...just gathering the last parts
    Harbor Freight ball joint separator, I think they only make one kind.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Came in very handy when removing mine, one pop and it was over.

My Cars
    not enough
    FYI Gents, this is the item number for the tool referenced above. Stopping by harbor freight tomorrow to pick it up but wanted to post the info.

My other projects: