Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to/for your e46 today??

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I have a set of 17" style 79s for sale.... Totally understand if u want 68s as that's why I have them to spare, I pulled em off my car and replaced with 68s, but they are a good easily cleaned wheel... Just throwing that out there, and for anyone else... With new tires for 500$... 2k~ on the toyo tires... If anyone is looking to upgrade their e46s profile...
    I made sure to mention they are 17 inch not 16 inch because they do make them in both sizes
    Last edited by angeleye540i; 03-24-2016 at 03:32 AM.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    I have a set of 17" style 79s for sale.... Totally understand if u want 68s as that's why I have them to spare, I pulled em off my car and replaced with 68s, but they are a good easily cleaned wheel... Just throwing that out there, and for anyone else... With new tires for 500$... 2k~ on the toyo tires... If anyone is looking to upgrade their e46s profile...
    I made sure to mention they are 17 inch not 16 inch because they do make them in both sizes
    If you could ship them to PDX for a total price of $600, I would be interested.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    Can you please PM me? I tried to PM you 2 or 3 times but apparently my messages are not sent because I don't see them in my Sent file.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    If you could ship them to PDX for a total price of $600, I would be interested.
    I think we can work something out I sent you a PM

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Good night in Jersey (before the rain)

Raised her up and pulled my bent upper control arm, driver side.
    Was able to pull it without dropping the exhaust, dropping the sway bar or displacing the diff. Not for the faint of heart as that inner bolt took 15 minutes to remove and about 45 minutes to put back in using chemical persuasion (silicone lube) plus I got big honking hands.
    Also replaced both rear coil springs with suplex HD springs (my driver broke off at the top perch and littered the road)...didn't realize that they were standard replacements, not for a factory lowered coupe. Had to use a pry bar (CAREFULLY) to put them on the locating posts because of the lift. Doesn't look too bad though, will see how she does over the weekend otherwise I will be contacting FCP about this indiscretion.

Below is a lined up pic of the replacement UCA in front of the bent UCA, gave me some pretty noticeable negative camber.
    UCA bent.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    Good night in Jersey (before the rain)

Raised her up and pulled my bent upper control arm, driver side.
    Was able to pull it without dropping the exhaust, dropping the sway bar or displacing the diff. Not for the faint of heart as that inner bolt took 15 minutes to remove and about 45 minutes to put back in using chemical persuasion (silicone lube) plus I got big honking hands.
    Also replaced both rear coil springs with suplex HD springs (my driver broke off at the top perch and littered the road)...didn't realize that they were standard replacements, not for a factory lowered coupe. Had to use a pry bar (CAREFULLY) to put them on the locating posts because of the lift. Doesn't look too bad though, will see how she does over the weekend otherwise I will be contacting FCP about this indiscretion.

Below is a lined up pic of the replacement UCA in front of the bent UCA, gave me some pretty noticeable negative camber.
    UCA bent.jpg
    If it weren't such a pain, I'd swap springs with you. I have LesJofors standards in the back of my xi, and they aren't nearly tall enough.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonatrbo View Post
    If it weren't such a pain, I'd swap springs with you. I have LesJofors standards in the back of my xi, and they aren't nearly tall enough.
    Appreciate the offer. After getting her aligned and talking with FCP (obviously they will credit with return) I can get the lesjofors since they are spec'd for the factory lower ride...but tbh I always had an issue with the front being slightly higher than the rear from when I purchased her. Now it kind of looks better?
    Vicky profile.jpg
    Taking the pic I took a better look at the front struts and it looks like the spring ends aren't seated in the lower seat correctly on both sides... maybe this is what I have been seeing (still won't know until I do the front shocks and seat them the 'right way').
    [Edit: took a better look and the top is seated correctly in the perch on both sides, I guessing this is due to the factory lowered springs.]
    Either way I won't be making any final decision until after this weekend. Thankfully my alignment shop said they will do a warranty alignment governing the circumstance (and since I've had her aligned by them 3 times in the past year) within 2 weeks If I do swap those springs out; especially since I had not a single issue with the ride height difference thus far.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say owning and servicing a BMW was easy...next up is the sticky caliper, fuel filter and engine misfire cyl #3 (p0303) though I think the fuel filter and/or pump may be the cause of this (thanks MarcoZandrini), fingers crossed.

[lovin' the 740iL thread, good job man]
    Last edited by Doge; 03-26-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: update
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Finally got around to doing my fuel filter...good god...what a mess. I have never done this before and I got gasoline EVERYWHERE "it's in my raccoon wounds!" I also sliced my finger open while doing this because I had to trim back one of the fuel hoses . Lot 'o black stuff came out of the old filter, lots 'o blood came out mah finger. I suppose this is fitting.

Did a trans fluid service, old oil didn't look 'terrible'. Put redline MTL in.

Replaced front right caliper with a BMW re-man from TurnerMS and bled. Now I need to get those GD duralast rotors off the front along with those ceramic pads and front shocks.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Replaced the RF wheel bearing because of a handling issue. Didn't fix the problem so back to the rack it goes.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Drove it 400 miles. Flawless.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Appreciate the offer. After getting her aligned and talking with FCP (obviously they will credit with return) I can get the lesjofors since they are spec'd for the factory lower ride...but tbh I always had an issue with the front being slightly higher than the rear from when I purchased her. Now it kind of looks better?
    Vicky profile.jpg
    Taking the pic I took a better look at the front struts and it looks like the spring ends aren't seated in the lower seat correctly on both sides... maybe this is what I have been seeing (still won't know until I do the front shocks and seat them the 'right way').
    [Edit: took a better look and the top is seated correctly in the perch on both sides, I guessing this is due to the factory lowered springs.]
    Either way I won't be making any final decision until after this weekend. Thankfully my alignment shop said they will do a warranty alignment governing the circumstance (and since I've had her aligned by them 3 times in the past year) within 2 weeks If I do swap those springs out; especially since I had not a single issue with the ride height difference thus far.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say owning and servicing a BMW was easy...next up is the sticky caliper, fuel filter and engine misfire cyl #3 (p0303) though I think the fuel filter and/or pump may be the cause of this (thanks MarcoZandrini), fingers crossed.

[lovin' the 740iL thread, good job man]
    Yeah, the front wheel arches are actually higher than the rear. If you follow the body lines, the car is raked forward, but the wheel wells make it look otherwise. My xi is squatting more than I'd like. I really need to source the HD springs for it, or make some buckets and mount airbags in the rear. Would be handy when towing anyway.

If the bottom is not seated correctly on the strut, its possible your strut mounts are installed incorrectly. That would allow the top to seat without the bottom.

I've had to replace both of my front calipers due to stickiness.

[And thanks!]

_____

I had a bit of an "unintended offroading incident" this past winter thanks to black ice. Fortunately I didn't hurt anything TOO expensive, but now the front left strut (or some other component) has developed this really unsettling popping noise when the weight of the car transfers back to it after cornering. Troubleshooting that is going to be a pain I suspect.
    Last edited by daytonatrbo; 03-28-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Yeah, the front wheel arches are actually higher than the rear. I really need to source the HD springs for it.
    If the bottom is not seated correctly on the strut, its possible your strut mounts are installed incorrectly. That would allow the top to seat without the bottom.
    ...had a bit of an "unintended offroading incident" this past winter thanks to black ice. Fortunately I didn't hurt anything TOO expensive, but now the front left strut (or some other component) has developed this really unsettling popping noise when the weight of the car transfers back to it after cornering.
    HD springs are offered by BMW, but the Suplex springs from FCP seem great so far (~$90each)..I'm actually going to keep them on now that I've driven her a bit with them even though I'm not partial to the exposed rear wheel well. Towing was my thought too! HAHA.

I think my front springs, being the sport pkg, doesn't have the winding of the coil end at the same place that the std springs do. I looked and there doesn't "seem" to be any issue I can think of, but I need to replace a blowing shock in my front so I will evaluate better then.

Maybe you're strut mount has punched out a bit? I know the rear shock mounts can make some weird noises when that goes, makes sense the front would be no different.
    Last edited by Doge; 03-29-2016 at 11:30 AM.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    HD springs are offered by BMW, but the Suplex springs from FCP seem great so far (~$90each)..I'm actually going to keep them on now that I've driven her a bit with them even though I'm not partial to the exposed rear wheel well. Towing was my thought too! HAHA.

I think my front springs, being the sport pkg, doesn't have the winding of the coil end at the same place that the std springs do. I looked and there doesn't "seem" to be any issue I can think of, but I need to replace a blowing shock in my front so I will evaluate better then.

Maybe you're strut mount has punched out a bit? I know the rear shock mounts can make some weird noises when that goes, makes sense the front would be no different.
    It almost sounds like I've snapped the sway bar in the middle somewhere, but I doubt that's even possible given the low-severity of the accident. I need to do some poking and prodding with a prybar and see if I can find the source. My front struts and mounts are overdue anyway, so I MIGHT start there.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    It almost sounds like I've snapped the sway bar in the middle somewhere, but I doubt that's even possible given the low-severity of the accident. I need to do some poking and prodding with a prybar and see if I can find the source. My front struts and mounts are overdue anyway, so I MIGHT start there.
    Maybe a sway bar mount came loose? Or an end link broke? A guy I buy used parts from (who parts E46s) says that the end links just snap in half at the slightest provocation after a lengthy aging.
    Last edited by Doge; 03-29-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling :P

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    Maybe a sway bar mount came loose? Or an end link broke? A guy I buy used parts from (who parts E46s) says that the end links just snap in half at the slightest provocation after a lengthy aging.
    I did a quick visual on the end links and they appear OK. They are also new last summer.

I'd almost buy into an issue with the mounting. I have not dropped the plastic belly pan to further inspect them.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    popping or clunking noises can be hard to diagnose. I don't think the mounting makes more sense than anything else, but at least that would be easy to remedy. Could be the bushing material allows for freedom of the bar to travel and impact causing noise.

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    popping or clunking noises can be hard to diagnose. I don't think the mounting makes more sense than anything else, but at least that would be easy to remedy. Could be the bushing material allows for freedom of the bar to travel and impact causing noise.
    It almost sounds as if I broke one of the coil springs, and the parts are binding, but I can't see anything obvious like that with a visual inspection.

It could be a blown ball joint, which is a pain since the outer one requires replacing the whole control arm, and there's a revision for the xi model, so I would have to do both sides and new inner balljoints before I could align it properly.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    It almost sounds as if I broke one of the coil springs...
    It could be a blown ball joint, which is a pain since the outer one requires replacing the whole control arm, and there's a revision for the xi model, so I would have to do both sides and new inner balljoints before I could align it properly.
    Funny, just had (as you remember) broken coil spring gave me a maddening 'clunk'.

After alignment the tech said I was pulling a bit left, last night it was windy AF and she was chuckin' and jivin' in the lane on the interstate. I think while I was doing my oil pan I noticed that my inner ball joint boot had a hole in it on my pass side. I know when the CAs go they can create a myriad of presentations.

Funny...maybe our cars are soul siblings

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Swapped back to the sport setting springs for the rear (Lejofors) from the Suplex HDs that I mistakenly bought. Off to get re-aligned tomorrow morning.

Inspected front control arms due to a steering compensation diving my wheel ~5-10 degrees counterclockwise. Front right inner ball-joint boot seems to have a hole and spilling grease, will have my mechanic double check/front end shake down to verify. Probably end up replacing the front CAs when I do my front shocks soon.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    What did you do to your e46 today?

I added the optional 6-Disc CD Changer - at a total cost of $43. Knowing I would never find the trunk liner for it, I just mounted it to the plastic tray, which is quite sturdy. It came with a bracket attached and that bracket had three mounting holes.

6Disc_Trunk.jpg

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325i Wagon
    First post here, not going to claim to be the biggest gear head but have done a fair share of DIYs. But I noticed my car wasn't handling as well I believed it should today around corners and through bumps so I checked my PSI for my tires and compared them to my manuals recommendations and after fixing that it seemed to ride much better.

My Cars
    04 330Ci
    I officially almost have every light redone on the car just saving for those sweet e92 LED lightbar style tailights. Installed m3 HID Halo projectors in front with crystal smoke corner lights, led strip crystal smoked side markers, led interior, led license plate lights, led reverse lights, and 80000k pink HID fogs for when the girl is driving

My Cars
    04 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Brickk View Post
    I officially almost have every light redone on the car just saving for those sweet e92 LED lightbar style tailights. Installed m3 HID Halo projectors in front with crystal smoke corner lights, led strip crystal smoked side markers, led interior, led license plate lights, led reverse lights, and 80000k pink HID fogs for when the girl is driving
    12980392_10154116598161170_7915871_n.jpg12968721_10154116596021170_2117522000_n.jpg sneak peek of the new set up before everything is done

My Cars
    03 325xi, 01 740iL
    When I added LED side markers to my car, they are faintly lit whenever the can bus is awake. Its kinda funny, and I've never bothered adding resistors or anything because I almost like it.
    Current:
    2009 xdrive35D

Past:
    2003 325xi
    2001 740iL
    1993 740iL

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by All2kool View Post
    Thanks. I'd like to find a good set of OEM Style 44 or 68. Thanks.
    I went with a staggered set of Style 286. Love the new look.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast