Thread: Arnott Rear Air Springs (Self leveling Air Bags) - Anyone used these

My Cars
    E39 540IT

Arnott Rear Air Springs (Self leveling Air Bags) - Anyone used these

Has anybody fitted the Arnott Rear Air Springs (Self leveling Air Bags) to their Touring.

https://www.arnotteu...n-products.aspx

Thinking about using these when i carry out the refresh on the rear suspension on my touring.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Not on my BMW, but I've used their air bags on my Range Rover and they are brilliant.

- - - Updated - - -

Not on my BMW, but I've used their air bags on my Range Rover and they are brilliant. I will be getting a pair of these for the Wagon in the near future for certain.

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    Interesting. Would you say that they would be "better" than using the OE BMW air springs?
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    88 M5, 540msport, 335 S3
    I just installed them on the back of my '99 540iT.

The fit was perfect and the job was easy. The rubber seems to be high quality, made by Continental, and has lifetime warranty I believe.

My only concern is the black plastic accumulator line clips that they supply. On one hand they supply new clips which is good news for anyone who breaks the stock clips. On the other hand, the engagement of the Arnott supplied clips is less secure than stock, IMHO, due to less surface. We actually had one pop off while we were pressure testing the system. (that got our attention) After a little more fiddling, I got the Arnott clip seated and it seems to be holding fine now.

Another FYI - Arnott supplies the same bag for standard and sport suspensions, and they are longer than stock. No trouble to install however, and the ride seem stop be slightly better than the stock bags I removed. (which were not blown, as it turns out)
    Last edited by motuman; 12-17-2015 at 01:24 PM.

My Cars
    the shinny one
    here is another site for stock replacement.
    I have had these on the car for about a year.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/BMW...suspension.php

My Cars
    E39 540IT
    Motuman - Could you please give more details regarding the issues you had with the clips.

Also when you say there longer than the standard bags - how much longer?

Did yours have the normal SE or Sport bags fitted to it

Cheers

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i Touring
    I installed the Arnott springs a few weeks ago.

I tried using the stock clip but it didn't seem secure. I swapped out the stock clip for the supplied clip and they locked in with no fuss.

My Cars
    2001 525iT
    Installed them about a month ago. Local NAPA carries them but they were cheaper from BavAuto with free shipping. Went on a 2001 525i with sport suspension and feels about the same. Had similar experience with the stock clips not "latching" on the Arnott fittings, but no issues with the Arnott clips.
    Pictures over in this thread.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...er-525it/page2

My Cars
    E46 M3 E39 M5T CLK55
    Quote Originally Posted by motuman View Post
    I just installed them on the back of my '99 540iT.

Another FYI - Arnott supplies the same bag for standard and sport suspensions, and they are longer than stock. No trouble to install however, and the ride seem stop be slightly better than the stock bags I removed. (which were not blown, as it turns out)
    This has been my big hold up from buying there stuff. I sent them a message a couple months back about this, as I have Sport suspension. I didn't get a clear answer if they could work or not and they basically told me they only make Std. rear springs.

Since I only have one spring that leaks every few months, and to my knowledge they are original, I may just stick with OE unless I hear something back from you guys that have Sport SLS.

My Cars
    03 540i Msport Touring
    I've heard nothing but good things about arnott, they're basically jesus christ for any car with an air suspension, way higher quality more durable airbag rubber with OEM fit and functionality.
    Looking for an e39 Touring black carpet set, including the rear cargo cubbies and side sections!
    ALSO looking for 540i 6speed manual transmission sets (2001+ pedals with switches, driveshaft, gearbox), for the 6speed swap! Probably not for a while....

GN92489
    540i msport touring; jet black on grey
    Progress Thread (general)
    Progress thread (touring specific)

My Cars
    99 528it
    Just installed these this past weekend. Simple and great, the clips held fine. I also called about the sport vs regular bags and for mine they only said they had the regular. He said that the ride won't he as harsh. I can't tell the difference as it rides great. Very simple install.

My Cars
    '03 525iT Sport Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunmlavery View Post
    This has been my big hold up from buying there stuff. I sent them a message a couple months back about this, as I have Sport suspension. I didn't get a clear answer if they could work or not and they basically told me they only make Std. rear springs.

Since I only have one spring that leaks every few months, and to my knowledge they are original, I may just stick with OE unless I hear something back from you guys that have Sport SLS.
    I sent Arnott a message today as well about this. They list both the same part #'s for sport and regular suspension on their website for their air springs...
    I've noticed the sport air spring base is white, while the regular air spring is black. The Arnott's are black... Hmm....
    I have a leaky rightside air spring on my Sport w/ SLS suspension and need to make a move on something soon.....
    Any feedback appreciated..

My Cars
    1999 528iT
    quasi related question, what is an indicator of the bags needing replacement? other than them leaking air?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Them leaking air. Come out to car and it needs to air up after overnight. Starts as rare occur then becomes more frequent. No other real problems ie not like ride deteriorates but they dont leak.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '03 525iT Sport Wagon
    Ordered the Arnotts's for my E39 (with Sport & SLS suspension) on Thursday, they were delivered yesterday.
    Just completed the install (no surprises, nicely made product) the bags are Continental btw, they included new clips.
    Real nice PDF install instructions on their website. Car rides better in the rear. My right side SLS bag would pretty much deflate overnight. Now both sides are level.
    2 thumbs up.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nice. Just waiting for mine to fail before trying them. Glad to hear they come w new clips, that's great and smart.

Any comments re side by side comparo w the OEMs?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '03 525iT Sport Wagon
    It was hard to tell for an "exact" side by side comparison as my OEM's were 13 years old. The new Arnott's were slightly shorter but haven't yet been inflated at all, but as mentioned the old ones were all stretched out (and actually compressed in/ down ridiculously easy), one had a tiny hole in it.

I did take measurements before and after the install and the ride height is the same OEM vs. Arnott air shocks (with the right side being back to level).

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah agreed one would expect the old ones to be all stretched out and saggy (great old girlfriend joke here but against forum rules). Just wondering if the construction and parts look the same - sounds yes?

Def you'd expect the ride height to be exact same since sensors make it a closed loop system
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former: