Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Powerdyne build thread / ERT kit

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    350 rwhp turbo is entry level.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I think most of the regulars on here can't/don't run that low of boost with their set ups. What area do you live in, I'm sure someone with a bit peppier turbo car would take you for a ride to show you what a more 'average' turbo e36 is like.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Cars
    I'm in Houston area. If there's an even quicker turbo one close by they're more than welcome haha.

My Cars
    Cars
    aem wideband kit finally came in the other day, now just need to wire it up and have the bung welded on. Where would be the best place to place the new bung? Or does it matter. Its the stock obd1 midpipe.

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    aem wideband kit finally came in the other day, now just need to wire it up and have the bung welded on. Where would be the best place to place the new bung? Or does it matter. Its the stock obd1 midpipe.
    Near stock o2

My Cars
    Cars
    Thanks busterhax, got exhaust done and wideband in the other day. Afrs were nice, 14.7 at idle hovers around 13 on wot gets up to 11 near redline. Was very consistent.

Oh and also misshifted the other day, from 4th to 2nd on the top of 3rd, spun the m50 to 8k rpm and its a goner. Quite sad really, it just hit 177k and was bone stock. Still need to completely assess whats wrong with it but this is my only car so I need my car back up asap. Bought an s50 the next day. Any recommendations for clutch and flywheel setup with the s50 & powerdyne? I am assuming stock e36 m3 one is fine. Thanks.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    Oh and also misshifted the other day, from 4th to 2nd on the top of 3rd, spun the m50 to 8k rpm and its a goner. Quite sad really, it just hit 177k and was bone stock. Still need to completely assess whats wrong with it but this is my only car so I need my car back up asap. Bought an s50 the next day. Any recommendations for clutch and flywheel setup with the s50 & powerdyne? I am assuming stock e36 m3 one is fine. Thanks.
    I run a 14lb single-mass flywheel setup with my BD11/S52. If you're sticking with the blower it will be nice to have the slightly quicker revs to make it easier to keep it up where the boost is made.

Also, if your tune eliminates downstream O2s you can just remove one of them and install the wideband O2 there. That's what I did.

My Cars
    Cars
    so... the s50 is in. and I'm actually quite disappointed with it. Only at 4lbs though, have to retighten the belt. Maybe there's something I'm missing here, maybe my new cel is triggering my loss of performance. Although its just a cel 1263 for purge valve, so idk. I'll fix the belt slip and come back with an actual report I guess. Afrs remain roughly the same. It just feels, pretty much like the m50 before it.

Maybe I've been riding in too many turbo cars lately, its a sign.

My Cars
    '96 540i S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Update: Small Ceramic Bearings: SKF-Bearing 6202-2RSLTN9/HC5C3WT
    $57 each from MRO Supply

The large ones are normal skf bearings which only run about $5-15.

I tried looking far and wide for a better and/or cheaper solution and couldn't find any bearings of this size with the same rating.
    I do not think these are the same as 6202-2RSTNH/HC5C3WT. Mine were shot today. I got 6k miles out of them. I paid like $250 for 2x. :-(

What to try next? Supercharger-rebuilds "kit"?
    [E39 540i] - with S/C ESS kit (plus some upgrades)
    [E34 540iA] - Gone

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by dme88 View Post
    I do not think these are the same as 6202-2RSTNH/HC5C3WT. Mine were shot today. I got 6k miles out of them. I paid like $250 for 2x. :-( What to try next? Supercharger-rebuilds "kit"?
    How did you determine they were bad? Those superseded the old ones which of course are NLA and the specs are the exact same. Do you have the conical bearings race with spring washer in the cover?
    Last edited by busterhax; 03-20-2016 at 08:40 PM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Belt too tight?

My Cars
    Cars
    s/c setup will probably be for sale soon in the pursuit of a turbo build.

My Cars
    1997 Chevy
    Update: Small Ceramic Bearings: SKF-Bearing 6202-2RSLTN9/HC5C3WT
    $57 each from MRO Supply

The large ones are normal skf bearings which only run about $5-15.

I tried looking far and wide for a better and/or cheaper solution and couldn't find any bearings of this size with the same rating.
    Hi. Sorry for the resurrection but info like this is kinda rare.

Can you confirm that these are still the correct bearings and/or have any usage info on them? My wife can get them for about $6 apiece from her vendor.

I have a BD-600 which I believe uses the same bearings. I got 60k out of the original Powerdyne ones and a 928 rebuild with the "HSS" and secret sauce bearings lasted 10k. Threw it in a box five years ago but have been thinking about breaking it back out again. Thanks.

My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellers View Post
    Hi. Sorry for the resurrection but info like this is kinda rare.

Can you confirm that these are still the correct bearings and/or have any usage info on them? My wife can get them for about $6 apiece from her vendor.

I have a BD-600 which I believe uses the same bearings. I got 60k out of the original Powerdyne ones and a 928 rebuild with the "HSS" and secret sauce bearings lasted 10k. Threw it in a box five years ago but have been thinking about breaking it back out again. Thanks.
    $6 is a steal if they’re that exact part. But yes they were correct.

My Cars
    1997 Chevy
    $6 is a steal if they’re that exact part. But yes they were correct.
    Thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, sometimes it's nice to have a wife that works in industrial supply......And all the time it's nice to have a wife that works, period.

My Cars
    Cars
    Holy thread resurrection, glad you were able to source the part for cheap!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I have a '95 M3 with a 3.2ltr engine swap with the OBD1 conversion. Powerdyne BD-10 from ERT kit 24lb injectors, chip upgrade, headers, etc. Got 307whp on dyno which puts the engine out put between 362 and 375 hp when accounting for drive train loss. That was back around 2002. It was a Turner Motorsport project car.
    Powerdyne sucks. Had rebuild done after bearings went. But had defective bearings which led to it dying again. Did the Super Powerdyne rebuild from 928motorsports after that since I had to replace the shaft and impeller anyway. Ran great for a little wile. Then a mechanic noticed the belt was a little loose and cranked the adjuster down all the way. Within a few days the impeller was starting to rub. Got worse. Ran it without a belt for a long time so the impeller wouldn't hit. Then took off the supercharger for a while. Not sure if it is just the bearings that got wrecked from over tightening or if the shaft is bent. Probably just the bearings but won't be sure till I send it out.

Same mechanic that over tightened the belt, went to have them put the supercharger back on after I had re-shimmed the impeller and made sure the volute was flush (originally 928motorsports thought the volute had shifted when I emailed about it which is common for powerdyne but turned out that wasn't it. But I re-shimmed it with a little more clearance but it was what I originally thought. Over tightened belt caused the problem). Told mechanic if the impeller doesn't clear, take out all the shims and try that. If it still doesn't clear then leave it alone, leave the belt off, and I would deal with it. Instead the mechanic took a grinder to the volute which is absolutely wrong (supercharger needs very tight tolerance to work correctly) Took a file or something to the impeller to clean it up which bent the blades. And the grinder bounced around in the volute making divots in the part of it that wasn't ground down. Impeller still didn't clear.

Biggest issue with Powerdyne is they used ball bearings instead of thrust bearings like other companies do. Which crap out easily. Didn't have belt issue after rebuilding with Kevlar upgrade. It was mentioned that Powerdyne used ceramic bearings in their supercharger. Maybe later they did. Earlier ones used metal.

When talking about the max RPMs of the bearings, keep in mind there is the nominal (i.e. constant running) max and the pique (i.e. absolute max) ratings. And those values greatly depend on how much heat is in the bearings. I would assume less especially if your supercharger isn't ported. Also, a boost gauge measures the pressure left over in the intake, not the volume of air getting used by the pistons. You might tune the car and be showing less boost but that might be because more air is getting into the cylinders and less left to show up on the gauge. i.e. if the car is at 5k rpm, the supercharger impeller is trying to move the same volume of air it's how much it is restricted that shows up as boost. So if you do something to tune your car and are getting more boost at 5k for example, it might be because less air is being used by the engine. You can actually de-tune your car if you tune by the boost gauge.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Have you found a new mechanic?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Have you found a new mechanic?
    I got some recommendations for mechanics from a forum post. Sad thing is, my old mechanic was supposed to be one of the best in the area for BMWs. They have gone down hill since the owner started working at another shop, and not the only person to say that in BMW forums. They have too much work and don't pay enough attention. Supercharger issues aren't the only ones I've had with them over the last few years. As bad as they have gotten, still better than other shops I have been too in the area. NJ mechanics are just horrible. Lived in 3 states, NJ vendors are just incompetent.

My Cars
    Cars
    Crazy seeing this thread again, 2016 supercharger me. I wish i had done turbo from the beginning.

My Cars
    Is300, E36M3
    Haha the timing of this thread 👌🏽. So I just picked this e36M (s52 obd2) up and it just so happened to have a rebuilt powerdyne blower that was disconnected hanging out in the bay. I hooked back up because the tune flashed to the ECU was for the blower as I was told (RK Tunes) I’m sure there are a few things wrong with this but I know very little of superchargers in general. I’m about ready to yank all this shit out and try to sell it and run NA for a bit but I was really hoping it would be cool and I could daily it around until I further my agenda with my other e36 (2jz drift car).
    One thing I noticed is there is a turbo smart BPV dangling from a piece of hose connected to the charge pipe between the SC and the throttle body, I’m assuming it’s venting to atmosphere but the top of the BPV doesn’t even have a vacuum line connected to it so wouldn’t this basically render it useless? I unfortunately don’t have much data on this car but I’m pretty sure seller told me it had 32lb injectors, it definitely has an m50 manifold and it has RK software on it I just don’t know what map at the moment. Came with a laptop and cables which I haven’t investigated yet. Give me a turbo any day at least the effort would be worth it!
    Wonder how much the SC is worth?
    Last edited by M Clout; 12-01-2020 at 01:26 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You have to find someone dumb enough to buy it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12