Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring lessons - Stock vs H&E OE Sport vs H&R Sport

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Okay - so I've once again taken the wheels off to finagle with the springs and pads. I chucked the old 5mm pads (more like 2mm after 17 years on the job), I cut the "nipples" off of some new 7.5mm pads and stacked them above my new 10mm pads. Slapped it all back together and now I'm riding right around 12.25-12.375" in the rear, roundel center to fender edge. I keep getting a different measurement after driving it a few times to help it settle. Anyhow, I think I like it now finally!

File Aug 27, 11 54 17 AM.jpg

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril
    i really appreciate everyone input here, measurements, photos and divided opinions. Since my car wont be a daily driver, I'm going to go with H&R sports with 15mm pad in the rear with Bilstein's. I had this set up on my GTI and loved the ride and that car was a DD for me at the time. I don't get how lower isn't better (if i was to go for a couple of track days per year) as mentioned earlier in this thread. I honestly like the oem stock setup in the rear yet i do see why everyone wants to drop the front 1 inch as there is more wheel gap per se. The right look and feel can be obtained.
    Estoril

My Cars
    1999 M3 5spd
    When people say that "lower isn't better", what they really mean is "too low isn't better". It is down to the suspension geometry. The roll center, and camber curves. The rear geometry gains negative camber as it compresses, or gets lower, and the front camber gain is minimal, and can actually do the opposite if the car is too low, which will make it understeer more, or you have to run tons of static camber up front to fix it, which will start to eat tires at that level regardless of toe setting(typically minimal toe increases tire life). Here is a good article about roll center.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ll-Center.aspx
    95 cosmoschwartz M3/2/5 : 2012-1/1/2014 (worn rtab's and bald rear tires in the rain)

98 cosmoschwartz M3/4/5 : 2016-3/10/2017 (understeering SUV)

99 Estoril M3/2/5: 6/16/2017-current

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Thanks. In any case, I look forward to my Koni/Eibach!
    Hating my Eibach springs to be honest. Feels like I am riding on bump stops. Front spring is too short.
    Last edited by Mless5; 07-11-2017 at 10:09 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    Hating my Eibach springs to be honest. Feels like I am riding on bump stops. Front spring is too short.
    Did you cut your stock bumpstops? The H&R instructions require you to do so. I missed that, and initially installed the sport springs without doing so. As you said, it was terrible, with the car hitting the bump stops on nearly every small imperfection. I cut 0.75" as recommended in the instructions and it made a world of difference.

<edit> Here's a better link to the H&R instructions - http://www.hrsprings.com/tech/hr_technical_info.pdf </edit>
    Last edited by RightYouAreKen; 07-11-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    1998 Titanium/Dove M3/4/5
    2020 Toyota 4Runner

My Cars
    '98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by RightYouAreKen View Post
    Did you cut your stock bumpstops? The H&R instructions require you to do so. I missed that, and initially installed the sport springs without doing so. As you said, it was terrible, with the car hitting the bump stops on nearly every small imperfection. I cut 0.75" as recommended in the instructions and it made a world of difference.

https://www.carid.com/images/h-r/inf...nical_info.pdf
    SOB... I installed new sports w/koni's in the spring and totally didn't do that. I can't believe I missed it with the included info. The ride still feels great compared to the Bilsteins that were on there before... hahah. I can't believe I'll have to remove the fronts again. Man that sucks.

My Cars
    1999 M3 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    SOB... I installed new sports w/koni's in the spring and totally didn't do that. I can't believe I missed it with the included info. The ride still feels great compared to the Bilsteins that were on there before... hahah. I can't believe I'll have to remove the fronts again. Man that sucks.
    You might be able to just pull the wheel and carefully cut the stops while the suspension is still on the car. I would try first before I started pulling everything off.
    95 cosmoschwartz M3/2/5 : 2012-1/1/2014 (worn rtab's and bald rear tires in the rain)

98 cosmoschwartz M3/4/5 : 2016-3/10/2017 (understeering SUV)

99 Estoril M3/2/5: 6/16/2017-current

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    I think I skipped that step, too. And I've looked at it and don't see why you couldn't just take an X-acto to the bump stops in place, without disassembling them. I also don't see how something relatively soft (IIRC they can be squeezed by hand), in comparison to the forces involved, really makes much of any difference?
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30

My Cars
    Black
    You can buy bump stops for lowered cars.

My Cars
    Black
    When I drove a H&R equipped e36 back to back with an Eibach equipped e36, the first thing I noticed about the H&R setup was how crappy turn-in was. Dropping the roll center below ground causes unreal amounts of body roll. Even though the center of gravity is technically slightly lower, the roll center is significantly lower, consequently the roll couple is much longer and body roll is tremendous.

There I was, comparing an automatic e36 sedan with no power steering on eibachs to a 5 speed coupe on H&Rs and the body roll on turn in was the most noticeable difference in handling.

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril
    Quote Originally Posted by weedshoes View Post
    ...There I was, comparing an automatic e36 sedan with no power steering on eibachs to a 5 speed coupe on H&Rs and the body roll on turn in was the most noticeable difference in handling.
    great quote!
    Estoril

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonaudi View Post
    High is good. I like to be high, and so does my car.

My Cars
    99 M3

Spring lessons - Stock vs H&amp;E OE Sport vs H&amp;R Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Brown9348 View Post
    Just figured I'd come back and say that since i scrapped the oem struts recently-- i decided to just get something better. I ordered a set of GC street/touring C/o's. If i had the oem stuff still i'd have tried the koni inserts.
    LOL!!! You are getting the Koni inserts in the Ground Control or TCKline coil overs…oh and you will most likely need 5mm spacers up front to clear the spring and lower spring perch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 07-15-2017 at 11:16 AM.

My Cars
    Black
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    LOL!!! You are getting the Koni inserts in the Ground Control or TCKline coil overs…

If you're suggesting that the koni shocks in ground-control and TCKline kits are off the shelf koni yellows, you're entirely incorrect.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Quote Originally Posted by weedshoes View Post
    If you're suggesting that the koni shocks in ground-control and TCKline kits are off the shelf koni yellows, you're entirely incorrect.
    I had read that under certain circumstances like low-stock situations or something, GC/TCKline had sent Porsche 911 off the shelf shocks with top adjusters for the rear shocks. The front coilovers obviously have to be designed in house and I believe they are typically serialized as unique.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    I had read that under certain circumstances like low-stock situations or something, GC/TCKline had sent Porsche 911 off the shelf shocks with top adjusters for the rear shocks.
    TCKlein offers the 12mm shaft top adjustable rear shocks for E36.
    I would be very surprised to learn that the 911 length rear shock was 'universal' fitment.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I am not running any at the moment, but I was able to locate OEM short ones and will be installing them this weekend. As much as I hate to say it, so far my beater 328is with Bilstein and BavAuto front, stock IS rear springs rides a million times better than my m3 . I'll report back ones bump stops have been installed and I put some miles on the updated setup.

<edit> Here's a better link to the H&R instructions - http://www.hrsprings.com/tech/hr_technical_info.pdf </edit>

RRSperry is offline Senior Moment Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    The top adjustable 911 shock isn't universal, but it works quite well in an E36.
    No matter where you go, there you are...

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    I had read that under certain circumstances like low-stock situations or something, GC/TCKline had sent Porsche 911 off the shelf shocks with top adjusters for the rear shocks.
    Any particular year or model(s)?

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Iirc, it's 8210-1159
    Last edited by RRSperry; 07-14-2017 at 08:37 PM.

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by bimma360 View Post
    I have older H&R Sports in the back (part# 29936 HA black) and I am putting in Koni Yellows this weekend. Not sure what I will do for spring pads But I called H&R today to ask about cutting the bump stops and the guy quickly said - don't cut your bump stops however everything I have read on here and other threads says there are instructions in the H&R sports that specifically say to cut the bump stops

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    I believe Koni only offers the insert for E36 M3s. That's what I went with. It wasn't too much of a pain to install if you have an angle grinder, drill, and bench vise.
    yeah doesnt seem too bad after watching this - having a vice is the main thing.
    This guy released the top and let the strut housing shoot a little bit backward while it was laying on the ground just shy of the 3minute mark

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    95 ///M3sc, '21 C8 HTC
    Yeah, that's not the way I'd do it. Just go rent spring compressors at an auto parts store.

If you don't have air tools, I'm sure there is someone local to you that does, and would be willing to help.

As for pads. I order things like that from my dealer. With my BMW CCA discount it's pretty reasonable and they usually can get everything the next day. But, I've been dealing with them for 20 years...lol

My Cars
    98 e36 m3 Estoril
    Hey guys, Im going camping but i got up early to make some purchases. what's the part number for the 95 M3 "top hats"? cheers
    Estoril

My Cars
    99 M3

Spring lessons - Stock vs H&amp;E OE Sport vs H&amp;R Sport

The following pulled from www.realoem.com for 1995M3
    Upper spring plate 31332227348
    Upper spring pad 31331128523
    Conical washer 31332227342
    Dust seal 31331110196
    Bump stop 31332225377
    Protection tube 31331137932
    Lower spring pad 31331124322

Last edited by bluptgm3; 06-01-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast