Page 95 of 186 FirstFirst ... 4570858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105120145 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 4646

Thread: Rajicase's First Turbo Build, Ballin' On A (Nonexistent) Budget

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    I just run all Gates brand hose in everything in my car. It's cheap and their fuel injection hose does specifically say E85 safe. Again I think all modern hoses are but hey if it specifically mentions it obviously your safer.
    That's what I have in my experiment; gates hose.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Incorrect logic there. The outer covering of hose is a different rubber than the inner liner unless it is submersible as Butters has said. A failed fuel line can take out your engine or cause a fire, both of which can wreck your day. Just save up a few more penny's and buy the right stuff.
    This is exactly correct.

They use an elastomer on the inside and rubber on the outside on the non-submersible. The submersible is all elastomer.

I think it was actually fluoroelastomer... regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    98 m3
    If its gates/goodyear/conti 30r9 its all e85 rated internally.

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post

This is exactly correct.

They use an elastomer on the inside and rubber on the outside on the non-submersible. The submersible is all elastomer.

I think it was actually fluoroelastomer... regardless.

But if the hose I am experimenting with is being SUBMERSED then ALL of the hose is being exposed to E85.

What I said was 100% correct. IF it can handle being submersed, it can handle serving as an external hose.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    If its gates/goodyear/conti 30r9 its all e85 rated internally.

I don't know if it's 30r9 or not. It's the cheapest fuel injection hose at the store. We will see if it holds up.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Be careful they sell carburetor hose too.

Alec what im saying is it wont hold up if it has a rubber exterior. Just look up the hose spec on the manuf website the test is pointless as its too short term and at no pressure

1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Be careful they sell carburetor hose too.

Alec what im saying is it wont hold up if it has a rubber exterior. Just look up the hose spec on the manuf website the test is pointless as its too short term and at no pressure

It is FI hose.

I'm not really concerned, I am not using it as submersible hose. 20 year old OE hose holds up, this will as well.

My Cars
    e30
    Quote Originally Posted by rajicase View Post
    Yeah I live in the city so it's totally civalized. But go 45 minutes in any direction and damn, you realize real quick where and why the south east gets the rep it does..
    I had to go visit a customer in rural SC to see what was wrong with their trucks. Holy hell. Ive never seen so many confederate battle flags! The guys in the shop all talked like the one dude in Joe Dirt and I just had them point to where equipment was because I could not understand a word they said.

Being from the NW it was a complete culture shock going to that area. Before then I had only been to major cities in the SE so I was not prepared
    -Nick
    91 E30 M42 on VEMS

Turbo Camshaft Thread

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post

I had to go visit a customer in rural SC to see what was wrong with their trucks. Holy hell. Ive never seen so many confederate battle flags! The guys in the shop all talked like the one dude in Joe Dirt and I just had them point to where equipment was because I could not understand a word they said.

Being from the NW it was a complete culture shock going to that area. Before then I had only been to major cities in the SE so I was not prepared
    South carolina is a s*** hole. And thats coming from someone who lives in AL.

And yeah, that's what the rural areas in the SE are like. Everyone's cousin is their sister who is also their mother and daughter. I know that doesn't sound possible, but we make it happen down here.. I'm telling ya.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    But if the hose I am experimenting with is being SUBMERSED then ALL of the hose is being exposed to E85.

What I said was 100% correct. IF it can handle being submersed, it can handle serving as an external hose.
    Keep in mind your experiment is not changing the fuel temp or pressure applied on the hose. Those stresses would certainly lead to faster degradation of the hose in a submerged condition as compared to your "control." I personally don't think your test is worthwhile but to each their own.

If you're set on cheap hose just replace it once every year as a precautionary and call it a day. Or live on the dangerous side and run it till you start smelling your gas leaching. Or pony up the extra cash and buy the proper hose

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cragg56 View Post
    Keep in mind your experiment is not changing the fuel temp or pressure applied on the hose. Those stresses would certainly lead to faster degradation of the hose in a submerged condition as compared to your "control." I personally don't think your test is worthwhile but to each their own.

If you're set on cheap hose just replace it once every year as a precautionary and call it a day. Or live on the dangerous side and run it till you start smelling your gas leaching. Or pony up the extra cash and buy the proper hose
    If my car blows up cause I ran cheap fuel line, yall can say "told ya so."

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    If my car blows up cause I ran cheap fuel line, yall can say "told ya so."
    #triggered
    #truecolors
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Frank has run stock hoses for years, I'm sure it will he fine. Ive also ran e85 with the stock lines for about a year till I replaced them with ptfe hose. Upon removal I checked out the hoses.....looked just fine to me

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    So, I haven't cheaped out on this build. I'm not running ebay parts. And subsequently I put 15k miles on it in ~6 months of driving, probably more than just about anyone drives their turbo e36. Drove it through an AL summer. No issues. Hasn't broken down on me yet. I'm not going to do something I think is going to compromise reliability.

That being said, we have had ethanol fuel for decades. Rubber lines have been just fine on everything from domestics to high end imports. Plenty of people run e85 on stock lines without issue. All of the research I have done has revealed a lot of people without first hand experience saying you must run ptfe or other expensive e85 rated hose. It has also revealed plenty of people with first hand experience who have run e85 through stock, 10-20 year old rubber lines without issue.

I'm confident in my choice , I wouldn't be making it if I wasnt. Again, if my car blows up, you guys can say "told you so." If it doesnt, you can enjoy running your $500 worth of fuel lines and I'll enjoy my $25 fuel lines.

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Live and learn I guess.

If you store your car in winters I'd personally drain the lines of e85 for storage

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Live and learn I guess.

If you store your car in winters I'd personally drain the lines of e85 for storage
    I live in the land of rust free undercarriages on my winter driven 20+ year old cars.

Mini-skirts and titties hanging out in January.

Hell, ima work on my car today and I probably won't even be wearing a shirt.

Winter storage is for the birds

BTW: I need to start a "told ya so," list. You will have the first three spots, I promise.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    def triggered.
    i was commenting moreso on the fact that you said, "ya'll".
    i find that people use their native dialect when they get mad or drunk. my wife is especially guilty of this. she gets all "see-ment" and "may-sure" and "ya'll" when she's about 3 drinks in.

with regards to your car, no one is bashing on you, bub. we all see how much work you've put in and we're just sharing our experiences so you don't have a major failure. and i'm confident that if you find anything with the fuel lines you don't like after the switch to corn that you won't hesitate to rip your car apart and replace it. hell, you've taken your car apart more times in the last year than i have and i did a swap.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by doktor b View Post
    def triggered.
    i was commenting moreso on the fact that you said, "ya'll".
    i find that people use their native dialect when they get mad or drunk. my wife is especially guilty of this. she gets all "see-ment" and "may-sure" and "ya'll" when she's about 3 drinks in.

with regards to your car, no one is bashing on you, bub. we all see how much work you've put in and we're just sharing our experiences so you don't have a major failure. and i'm confident that if you find anything with the fuel lines you don't like after the switch to corn that you won't hesitate to rip your car apart and replace it. hell, you've taken your car apart more times in the last year than i have and i did a swap.
    LOL dude im weak. Bub?!
    Haha, and don't act like "ya'll" isn't one of the most useful words that you yanks refuse to adopt. I swear I use it in damn near every sentence.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    LOL dude im weak. Bub?!
    Haha, and don't act like "ya'll" isn't one of the most useful words that you yanks refuse to adopt. I swear I use it in damn near every sentence.
    ya'll is just awful.
    it is exactly what it sounds like when an English speaking person attempts to say "you all" with a mouth full of hot soup/chili/wiener....

also. the weather in your country is basically fantastic. but dang. you guys speak at least 4 or 5 different dialects of hillbilly. we stopped for gas last night late and the only customer in the place was like a SEUSA Boomhauer (as opposed to PRoTX). i'm pretty good at understanding most dialects of hillbilly, cajun/creole, and other variants/abuses of English. but this dude was on a whole other level. may as well have been speaking Chinese. not one recognizable word from his mouth. the attendant didn't even seem to notice that dude was speaking another language. she just responded right back in (filthy southern) English.

i got what i needed and GTFO of there. it takes about 10 seconds to ID me as a "yankee"

My Cars
    Out of Service
    BTW: I need to start a "told ya so," list. You will have the first three spots, I promise.
    Winter storage I believe is a large factor in fuel line degradation as well as injector clogging in e85 applications (due to improper storage / fuel treatment), in my opinion. So if that is not in your future you may be better off than us up here in Chicago where our cars sit for months.

I'll gladly join that list. I'd much rather see success for cheap than sadness for cheap

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    ya'll is just awful.
    it is exactly what it sounds like when an English speaking person attempts to say "you all" with a mouth full of hot soup/chili/wiener....

also. the weather in your country is basically fantastic. but dang. you guys speak at least 4 or 5 different dialects of hillbilly. we stopped for gas last night late and the only customer in the place was like a SEUSA Boomhauer (as opposed to PRoTX). i'm pretty good at understanding most dialects of hillbilly, cajun/creole, and other variants/abuses of English. but this dude was on a whole other level. may as well have been speaking Chinese. not one recognizable word from his mouth. the attendant didn't even seem to notice that dude was speaking another language. she just responded right back in (filthy southern) English.

i got what i needed and GTFO of there. it takes about 10 seconds to ID me as a "yankee"
    Haha it isn't like that in the city, like I said, the southeast really is two different worlds. The city and the country. As long as you are in the city, the difference between us and any other big city is almost non-existent. Once you get 30-45 mins outside of the city, you run into the cousin-f'ers, sister diddlers, and inbred hicks whose vocabulary is three unintelligible words deep.

But ya'll is a great word, and ya'll yanks can suck it regarding that word. It is so useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Winter storage I believe is a large factor in fuel line degradation as well as injector clogging in e85 applications (due to improper storage / fuel treatment), in my opinion. So if that is not in your future you may be better off than us up here in Chicago where our cars sit for months.

I'll gladly join that list. I'd much rather see success for cheap than sadness for cheap
    Bidding for spots 6-10 begins today. PM for paypal details.
    Official Told Rajicase So List:
    1. cragg56
    2. cragg56
    3. cragg56
    4. cragg56
    5. cragg56

My Cars
    Out of Service
    Haha it isn't like that in the city, like I said, the southeast really is two different worlds. The city and the country. As long as you are in the city, the difference between us and any other big city is almost non-existent. Once you get 30-45 mins outside of the city, you run into the cousin-f'ers, sister diddlers, and inbred hicks whose vocabulary is three unintelligible words deep.

But ya'll is a great word, and ya'll yanks can suck it regarding that word. It is so useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Bidding for spots 6-10 begins today. PM for paypal details.
    Official Told Rajicase So List:
    1. cragg56
    2. cragg56
    3. cragg56
    4. cragg56
    5. cragg56
    Lol. I thought your list was going to be YOU telling ME I was wrong. That was the list I was saying I would like to be on. I'm hoping that your car works out just fine and I don't have to say I told ya so

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    it is this exact type of thinking that's led to the rampant inbreeding in the south.
    follow along, if you will.

your position is that ya'll is extremely useful and convenient. so you refuse to look for a more suitable alternative.

sisters/moms/female relatives in general are uber convenient as they're often found in/around your dwellings. they also already speak the respectively local dialect. this makes looking for mates outside the family a much more daunting task. to find one of these non-relatives, the southerner has to leave its dwelling, search out potential mates, cross whatever language barriers exist, and defy the odds to find a consenting (or physically less powerful) mate.

when comparing the two options, it becomes clear that the relative is a much easier quarry to capture.

also.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNSWEET TEA.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    it is this exact type of thinking that's led to the rampant inbreeding in the south.
    follow along, if you will.

your position is that ya'll is extremely useful and convenient. so you refuse to look for a more suitable alternative.

sisters/moms/female relatives in general are uber convenient as they're often found in/around your dwellings. they also already speak the respectively local dialect. this makes looking for mates outside the family a much more daunting task. to find one of these non-relatives, the southerner has to leave its dwelling, search out potential mates, cross whatever language barriers exist, and defy the odds to find a consenting (or physically less powerful) mate.

when comparing the two options, it becomes clear that the relative is a much easier quarry to capture.

also.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS UNSWEET TEA.
    Hahah dead..
    I have had no problems finding easy college sloots to slay. Dime a dozen in the city.
    The problem in the country is limited choice. If you have to travel 20 miles down a dirt road to find the opposite gender with different DNA.... well, you see the result.

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Hahah dead..
    I have had no problems finding easy college sloots to slay. Dime a dozen in the city.
    The problem in the country is limited choice. If you have to travel 20 miles down a dirt road to find the opposite gender with different DNA.... well, you see the result.
    lololol
    i remember college just fine. state schools for the win.

Page 95 of 186 FirstFirst ... 4570858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105120145 ... LastLast