Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.6is M62B46 into '03 540it. From day one.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    Can't link threads, but it has been tried before to the point where the car has been put back together with s62 and a slushbox, and they just couldn't get them to play nicely together

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Yeah I remember that one. That's because he tried to use the S62 DME, which has no provision for auto transmission computers. M62 DME tuned for S62 would probably work. I don't know if VANOS would work (exhaust vanos almost certainly would just have to be locked into a position or controlled separately). Knock control might be problematic too. But otherwise tuning the DME for an S62 doesn't seem impossible. Given enough time and money (two things I'm pretty short on these days), I think I could do it.

Ultimately it would be a lot of work just to have a shittier transmission. And at a certain point you might be better off with a standalone trying to mate with a more modern transmission.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    ...and said block is out and you are good w notching pistons...
    I wouldn't but someone might. That's a $2k discount for a little work.
    If these were more common, I wouldn't have suggested it but you're correct, they fetch insane (by my standards) numbers for a clean/running engine.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 11-14-2016 at 10:33 PM.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Does make me wonder whether or not it'd be feasible to tune the M62 DME to run an S62 if one *really* wanted to keep the automatic. VANOS would be the hard part (especially exhaust), but in principle I think it would be possible.
    Vanos Delete Kit and we can disable vanos in the software completely then, results in either tq loss or high end hp loss, up to how it's installed. Convert to regular TB and MAF setup to run full M62tu setup.

Another option is a standalone engine management out of the DME to run the engine, and factory DME still wired in and think it's working, so it can feed data to EGS. This way is much harder.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    If one wanted to get super gnarly with IDA Pro and code hacking, maybe you could try to breakdown the SMG hooks from MSS54 and fold that into MSS52 code, hence creating an "SMG M5" ?

Not same as running the ZF Steptronic obviously but if you took it further you might be able to figure out if the same hooks could be used / tweaked to interface w/ the ZF EGS.
    I'm assuming all that really needs to be enabled is CAN-bus data feeds to the EGS, and then hooks to listen for EGS and enable CAN-bus engine management responsiveness to inputs from the EGS.

I say "all that needs..." as if that's not a big deal. Relatively gargantuan reverse engineering task, for as mentioned, a relatively 'rare and undesirable configuration'... You'd need to figure out every SMG related input or output function, where it gets called, and then hook that into all the corresponding locations of the main MSS52 engine management code... Maybe it'd be easier to go the other way - start w/ MSS54 SMG and try to mod its core engine-management routines to handle S62? Either way, gargantuan hacker task...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Yeah, an SMG might be more realistic, because the S62 would absolutely destroy a 5HP24 on the first spirited drive.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    If one wanted to get super gnarly with IDA Pro and code hacking, maybe you could try to breakdown the SMG hooks from MSS54 and fold that into MSS52 code, hence creating an "SMG M5" ?

Not same as running the ZF Steptronic obviously but if you took it further you might be able to figure out if the same hooks could be used / tweaked to interface w/ the ZF EGS.
    I'm assuming all that really needs to be enabled is CAN-bus data feeds to the EGS, and then hooks to listen for EGS and enable CAN-bus engine management responsiveness to inputs from the EGS.

I say "all that needs..." as if that's not a big deal. Relatively gargantuan reverse engineering task, for as mentioned, a relatively 'rare and undesirable configuration'... You'd need to figure out every SMG related input or output function, where it gets called, and then hook that into all the corresponding locations of the main MSS52 engine management code... Maybe it'd be easier to go the other way - start w/ MSS54 SMG and try to mod its core engine-management routines to handle S62? Either way, gargantuan hacker task...
    BMW M did it once. They made the 2000 X5 with S62, SMG and RWD. TerraPhantm and I figured they did just what you suspected and added the SMG components to the M5 transmission, then put the SMG code in the MSS54 to run the EGS. We suspect a lot of it might still be in the code, but without good maps of everything in the code, we just don't know. He thought it might be better to adapt the M3 MSS54 code to run 8 cylinders instead, since it already has the code for the SMG. If we figure out how to do that, shift lights might also be a possibility for every other M5 .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Yeah, an SMG might be more realistic, because the S62 would absolutely destroy a 5HP24 on the first spirited drive.
    Naawaybro. People give the S62 too much credit.

Blown M62's make bit more power than factory S62's and they do totally fine in Slushtronic E38's and E39's.

Innerwebz suggests its rated to 320 torques of input but its also been used w various M62TU's (4.6, 4.8 alpina..) exceeding that number. They're pretty strong when in good repair.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

Blown M62's make bit more power than factory S62's and they do totally fine in Slushtronic E38's and E39's.

Innerwebz suggests its rated to 320 torques of input but its also been used w various M62TU's (4.6, 4.8 alpina..) exceeding that number. They're pretty strong when in good repair.
    Then why is it only rated to 320? I guess they were underrated from the factory.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    You'd have to talk to the reliability engineer that came up with the number. Too many factors to come up with an exact number. De-rate it and it lasts longer. Give it a higher rating and it lasts not as long. Driving style will play a large role. Towing or not towing and of course the weight of your own butt other passengers and gear. Regular fluid and filter changes and amount of high heat / high load cycles.

Its not like you give it 400 ft/lbs and it instantly breaks or falls apart. Once I get my 4.6 in I can start recording some reliability data of how its doing with close to 350 ft/lbs being applied. Keep in mind the 4.6is in the 2002-2003 X5 (I am pretty sure) uses the 5HP24. And to boot its a heavy vehicle with a tow rating.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Then why is it only rated to 320? I guess they were underrated from the factory.
    Last edited by redgtocruiser; 11-15-2016 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    BMW M did it once. They made the 2000 X5 with S62, SMG and RWD. TerraPhantm and I figured they did just what you suspected and added the SMG components to the M5 transmission, then put the SMG code in the MSS54 to run the EGS. We suspect a lot of it might still be in the code, but without good maps of everything in the code, we just don't know. He thought it might be better to adapt the M3 MSS54 code to run 8 cylinders instead, since it already has the code for the SMG. If we figure out how to do that, shift lights might also be a possibility for every other M5 .

As Paul mentioned, I do think that's totally feasible, and I think it would be easier to use the MSS54 as a starting point than the MSS52. MSS54 still appears to have all of the relevant 8 cylinder code, and it obviously has the SMG software itself.

The hard part would be the actual calibration. On the other hand, there are turbocharged M3 SMGs pushing 600+ hp seemingly without having to recalibrate the SMG, so perhaps it's just a matter of copying over the M5 fuel and spark tables and setting the DME to 8 cylinder mode.

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's

Agreed. I'm running ~450 ft/lbs max through my 5HP24 for 1.5 years, so far it has not shown any signs of deterioration.

On a relevant 4.6 aside = I have a 4.6 motor where the piston and bore are toast = is there anything worth removing from the motor other than the cams before scrapping it?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    As Paul mentioned, I do think that's totally feasible, and I think it would be easier to use the MSS54 as a starting point than the MSS52. MSS54 still appears to have all of the relevant 8 cylinder code, and it obviously has the SMG software itself.

The hard part would be the actual calibration. On the other hand, there are turbocharged M3 SMGs pushing 600+ hp seemingly without having to recalibrate the SMG, so perhaps it's just a matter of copying over the M5 fuel and spark tables and setting the DME to 8 cylinder mode.
    OK so who's gonna fab up the SMG bellhousing so we can get this project going?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    OK so who's gonna fab up the SMG bellhousing so we can get this project going?
    You don't need to fab anything. Just remove the shifter parts. You transfer the M3 SMG components over to the v8 transmission. I'm not sure if something would need to be done about the slave cylinder pin or not. Output flange may not fit under the shift actuator assembly, so might need a M3 flange, which is smaller, and therefore would require a custom driveshaft.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    BTW as more proof that the 5HP24 is underrated / conservatively rate...

The AWD version (5hp24A) is used in a bunch of VAG products with tons of bawlz.

A8's and Phaetons with 6L W12's making in excess of 400 of torques.
    RS6 w/ twin-turbo V8 making similar torques.

True those are ltd editions but it also went in a whole host of high volume A6/A8 cars w/ V8's making in the 300/300 range. They die sometimes, I think the AWD is harder on them than just RWD applications, but there are plenty that keep running for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need to fab anything. Just remove the shifter parts. You transfer the M3 SMG components over to the v8 transmission. I'm not sure if something would need to be done about the slave cylinder pin or not. Output flange may not fit under the shift actuator assembly, so might need a M3 flange, which is smaller, and therefore would require a custom driveshaft.

SMG takes a different bell-housing - something about shift detents being different (I didn't do the BH work on the SMG delete I worked on... so I dunno exactly...) so you'd need to replicate that in the S62 BH and swap it over, right? Or is that what you're saying about removing some of the shifter parts?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    are slow

True those are ltd editions but it also went in a whole host of high volume A6/A8 cars w/ V8's making in the 300/300 range. They die sometimes, I think the AWD is harder on them than just RWD applications, but there are plenty that keep running for a long time.

- - - Updated - - -

SMG takes a different bell-housing - something about shift detents being different (I didn't do the BH work on the SMG delete I worked on... so I dunno exactly...) so you'd need to replicate that in the S62 BH and swap it over, right? Or is that what you're saying about removing some of the shifter parts?
    Beefed up TCs make all the difference.
    Last edited by XAlt; 11-15-2016 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S

- - - Updated - - -

No, the opposite is required when converting a smg bh to manual bh, but going the other way is much easier as you just remover the lever that pushes on the detents in the manual bellhousing. The shift actuator doesn't want those centering springs working against it.

-Paul

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    There's a few 4.6is engines on ebay now for around $4k http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...924042&alt=web There's one one there now for under $2k but they claim it runs rough but since you'll be dismantling it, you can put it together corrected and save a ton of $! But, there's also just the heads/cams for around $2,300 so if you already have a 4.4 block...
    yeah which is intriguing don't get me wrong.. But the S62 is like less than that sometimes... Then we come to. But a new Ls4 crate is 450hp/430tq brand new for 4900$, or something close to that

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    BMW M did it once. They made the 2000 X5 with S62, SMG and RWD. TerraPhantm and I figured they did just what you suspected and added the SMG components to the M5 transmission, then put the SMG code in the MSS54 to run the EGS. We suspect a lot of it might still be in the code, but without good maps of everything in the code, we just don't know. He thought it might be better to adapt the M3 MSS54 code to run 8 cylinders instead, since it already has the code for the SMG. If we figure out how to do that, shift lights might also be a possibility for every other M5 . Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    the Alpina Z8 had the 4.6 with an auto oddly enough, and not the S62, I was gonna say the Alpina z8 had an auto then I remembered it's a tuned up B46... More torque less HP and auto trans Z8, very odd direction but practical MAYBE?

Just get an Alpina Z8 tranny? Shouldn't be too hard lol...

Alpina has always been the civilized mans Performace car tho
    Last edited by angeleye540i; 11-15-2016 at 05:27 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    the Alpina Z8 had the 4.6 with an auto oddly enough, and not the S62, I was gonna say the Alpina z8 had an auto then I remembered it's a tuned up B46... More torque less HP and auto trans Z8, very odd direction but practical MAYBE?

Just get an Alpina Z8 tranny? Shouldn't be too hard lol...

Alpina has always been the civilized mans Performace car tho
    What? Alpina Z8 had the 5hp24 and m62tub46, so what are you suggesting?

-Paul

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I was kind of sarcastically saying why not just use the Alpina trans hinting it was rare, but as it turns out it just uses the same as the Alpina B10, which I think is the 5hp... It just said it used a 5 speed BMW step, which is that... Anyway, if the Alpina z8 with tuned up torque beyond the s62, and the Alpina B10 with similar setup can handle it, along with all the SCd 540s I don't think there are too many issues with it.... Altho as we all know it all depends on the nut behind the wheel

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    yeah which is intriguing don't get me wrong.. But the S62 is like less than that sometimes... Then we come to. But a new Ls4 crate is 450hp/430tq brand new for 4900$, or something close to that
    I love m5 conversions, I'd love to do it one day and yes, Ls engines can be the best bang for the buck but both these options have hurdles that not everyone is prepared to jump. There are countless m5 conversions and Ls swaps sitting in yards and the dirty corners of crowded garages in the world: people bit off more than they could chew.
    The 4.6is motor delivered ease of swap, more power/torque, the direct plug-n-play aspect plus I love the uniqueness and I don't plan to stop at just the motor swap.

Had I gone s62, I couldn't afford to do all the rest of the mods to make it a full conversion nor did I have the time.

With great mechanical skills and a proper working 4.6 engine sitting in a stand, the total swap should take around 4-5 hrs and you're driving as soon as fluids have been filled up. No coding for the computers, no transmission issues just more fun.

Quick and easy. The slow part for me was trying to refresh the 4.6 with good parts and make sure we did things correctly so I'd be able to leave the hood shut for a few years and not worry about the engine.

For someone looking for a fun mod that I think so far in a touring at least, I'm the only one, easy and fairly safe in a tu car.

Plus it's nice to stay brand specific sometimes and a 1000 hp Ls bimmer although really cool isn't quite cannon enough for some and that swap requires a ton of further mods to make it all work right and help one still feel that they're sitting in a nice German car. I'm guessing RAEV34 can tell you that it wasn't easy or cheap to accomplish that task.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I'm Alls about keepin it in the Reich... Bavarian or bust... Just playing devils advocate... I've always kind of been against American swaps... I have too much GERMAN pride for that... And my phone automatically capitalizes GERMAN for
    Some reason so I don't change it lol...
    Last edited by angeleye540i; 11-15-2016 at 06:39 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    From what I've seen, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do the reverse changes and create an SMG bell housing out of a manual. Basically remove a couple springs, a bearing, a couple detents, and plug the holes.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I'm Alls about keepin it in the Reich... Bavarian or bust... Just playing devils advocate... I've always kind of been against American swaps... I have too much GERMAN pride for that... And my phone automatically capitalizes GERMAN for
    Some reason so I don't change it lol...
    I just don't really like American engines all that much. Sure, they're cheap horsepower but that's all it is to me. I hate the way they sound. I generally don't like American cars though, something about them feels so crude and half-assed, even with the newest ones.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    From what I've seen, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do the reverse changes and create an SMG bell housing out of a manual. Basically remove a couple springs, a bearing, a couple detents, and plug the holes.
    Couldn't you just remove the part that presses on the detents? I guess they might not stay in place then huh? Oh well. Yes, should be simple.

-Paul

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast