Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.6is M62B46 into '03 540it. From day one.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Castrol is actually really cheap at Walmart... Mobile 1 castrol 5qt full syn jugs for 22$... Compared to a couple indies that source LiMo for me at 35$ per 5qt jug... Either way, 35-50$ in oil every few thousand miles to keep your motor in good health isn't much, and worth it... Castrol and Mobile 1 are good too tho... They only make LL - 01 in 0w-40 tho as far as I can find... Not that it really matters I u change every 4-5k

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    So, Wagons Ho said in order for me to use his air pump/supercharger, I'd need to put a 4.4 back in so we can bore, hone and open the heads a bit...

I'm sticking with the 4.6... Right? Yeah, right? I mean, 4.6 mang!

I'm not so up on engines so I trust he's not just saying stuff but I'd much rather have a blown 4.6 than a 4.4 stroked to a 4.7 just for ease of conversation and historical reasons laid out in previous posts (1st page)

I'm going to stay with the 4.6 but there's got to be a way to get his blower set up to run just peachy on my engine... Right?

Damn it! He'll be faster if he's using a 4.7!
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 09-29-2016 at 12:11 AM.

My Cars
    are slow
    vroom vroom

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    I said big jugs man, stroke is something else. The problem is your engine is all fresh and together and unless your oil consumption continues, shouldn't be taken apart. Ring gap has to be addressed to run a twin screw, so we're starting at the bottom. With the survival rate of the bottom end unknown I would want to see you trash the 4.6. And yes bigger than 4.6 is under way. But that's a topic for the engine rebuilding page.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    So torn...
    Cart before the horse talk for now. Let's get your setup on the dyno and let DUDMD tune the crap out of it and over many beers, tears and fist slams, talk about it again.

I still have hope.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Great thread to follow. Enjoyed reading all the progress. Looking for a few pointers to get started here on my own. I have a e38 2001 740i Sport "short body" with the M62TUB44. Engine has been great, recently had an over heating event due to a couple factors. Possibly a stuck thermostat and a resultant burst heater hose at the back of the engine which caused rapid coolant loss. Happened while driving at night. Anyways. There is a head gasket leak with exhaust coming into the coolant. No evidence of oil or coolant contamination. Engine runs fine otherwise. Only 81k miles.

So in the meantime I will work some Bars HG1 in there to see if it stops the leak. Long term plan is to go M62B46 swap. Need to know what I am up against and where the major issues will be. From what I can tell everything mechanically is pretty plug n play.

Please send me a PM or reply to my post to build the knowledge base on this swap.

My major questions are what is required with the following:
    EWS?
    DME?
    Tune or no tune?
    Wiring harnesses, what changes?

I do love the idea of having even more a sleeper and staying with the 5HP24 automatic.
    Last edited by redgtocruiser; 10-17-2016 at 08:22 AM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Sorry to hear about your 7. I think we've all been there.

Being as candid as I can be, I am no expert.

As far as I can tell, if your engine currently is a single vanos 4.4ltr, it should be a straight swap. There are a few parts to change out as noted by this thread but mostly on the oil ventalation and pump/pan.

The tune as you read was graciously offered forth by both TerraPhantm and DUDMD. They probably still have the files and so that should be the easiest part as long as you can find them (shouldn't be too hard) and work with them.

As far as the performance: awesome. Whole new car. You'll want to add an lsd to take advantage of the new torque curve but it isn't necessarily bad without one, kind of fun actually.
    EWS & DME on mine are stock parts with a re-write of the engine software.

You might ask DUDMD for his alpina transmission software to better deal with the engine but also not necessarily needed to enjoy the bump.

All that and you get to say that you have a 4.6 740... Priceless.

Hopefully that helped. I'm here, we're here if you've got further questions. You'll find others on here are lightyears ahead of me concerning this engine. I just took the chance first, with my daily driver. I'm VERY happy I did it. I'm also enormously grateful to everyone who contributed or offered to contribute. I wouldn't have had the stones to go forward without their help.

- - - Updated - - -

Exhaust headers arrive this Thanksgiving. Now the holiday makes sense to me.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 10-17-2016 at 07:39 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Plattus thanks for the great response. I am underway with sourcing some of the parts I need to begin converting the 4.6 once I procure one. I have planned this project for late spring / early summer. Your writeup on your efforts was a real nice read I am glad you had great success. I will consult with DUDMD once I get there. I plan to send him my existing DME and have him reflash it with the 4.6 tune. My car is a 740i sport with a 3.15 rear end and higher stall on the 5hp24, I think its pretty snappy as it is, but will look into what the ALPINA tune offers on the transmission.

I will start a new thread once I start my effort in full. I will be doing a complete refresh of the 4.6 before I drop it in. (timing chain guides, VANOS, Valley Pan, etc) will be easy to do while its on the stand.

How is everything going with your project car? Any issues or anything of note to report?

Do you know what your exact wheel horsepower gain was over the 4.4 ?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    So I was thinking of this thread last night, and it got me thinking... What if I swapped a 4.6 into a Range Rover... I don't think I've ever seen it done in a BMW-engined Range Rover, but it can't be all that hard. The BMW Range Rover 4.4 has a different bottom end (oil pans) but otherwise it's the same, so I could swap the oil pan and get a 4.6 sitting in there happily. Having 350hp vs 290hp would certainly help the big 5400lb lump move a little quicker haha
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    So I was thinking of this thread last night, and it got me thinking... What if I swapped a 4.6 into a Range Rover... I don't think I've ever seen it done in a BMW-engined Range Rover, but it can't be all that hard. The BMW Range Rover 4.4 has a different bottom end (oil pans) but otherwise it's the same, so I could swap the oil pan and get a 4.6 sitting in there happily. Having 350hp vs 290hp would certainly help the big 5400lb lump move a little quicker haha
    There are already 4.6hse rovers from the factory. BMW engines, the m62 are running in many thousands of rovers.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    There are already 4.6hse rovers from the factory. BMW engines, the m62 are running in many thousands of rovers.
    Pretty sure those aren't M62s though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by redgtocruiser View Post
    Plattus thanks for the great response. I am underway with sourcing some of the parts I need to begin converting the 4.6 once I procure one. I have planned this project for late spring / early summer. Your writeup on your efforts was a real nice read I am glad you had great success. I will consult with DUDMD once I get there. I plan to send him my existing DME and have him reflash it with the 4.6 tune. My car is a 740i sport with a 3.15 rear end and higher stall on the 5hp24, I think its pretty snappy as it is, but will look into what the ALPINA tune offers on the transmission.

I will start a new thread once I start my effort in full. I will be doing a complete refresh of the 4.6 before I drop it in. (timing chain guides, VANOS, Valley Pan, etc) will be easy to do while its on the stand.

How is everything going with your project car? Any issues or anything of note to report?

Do you know what your exact wheel horsepower gain was over the 4.4 ?
    So I've been excessively lazy with the dyno stuff. I have the combo tune from Terrafantm and DUDMD on the car and should have already done a run but I've been waiting to add the headers to do a before dyno showing the results of the build/tune and then an after install of headers. So to answer your dyno question, no sadly.

As for the engine, I sometimes get a cam position sensor bank 2 code but only like once a month and there was an odd oil consumption issue that fixed itself. So far (knock on wood) she's still going strong and still gets lots of thumbs-ups. Sounds great and loves to run in the 3,300-6,000 rpm range like she's got somewhere to be.

Glad the thread has got some people thinking about replication.

If you have the money, go for balanced rods, lighter pistons and new bearings (you'll have to open the block) it might gain you some torque and run smoother plus you'll know you have good internals when you're racing, I mean driving past random cars.

DO THE HEADS! A valve guide job at the least. I got mine dialed in for next to nothing compated to the overall cost of the swap and I'm so glad I did it.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 11-15-2016 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    No, I'm talking about taking a 2003-2005 Range Rover with the BMW M62B44, and putting in a BMW M62B46. That takes it from 290hp to 350hp which would be a really nice boost. The old pre-BMW Rover engines weren't all that great, even though they had a 4.6.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Thanks again. I am going to keep it simple with the 4.6. Find a relatively low mile sub 100k motor, and only refresh it down to the cylinder heads. Not planning on pulling the heads off.

Now with the 4.4 I will have on hand. It already has a failed head gasket so anything is game with that motor on rebuild. I would like to drop it into an E30 convertible.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    No, I'm talking about taking a 2003-2005 Range Rover with the BMW M62B44, and putting in a BMW M62B46. That takes it from 290hp to 350hp which would be a really nice boost. The old pre-BMW Rover engines weren't all that great, even though they had a 4.6.
    Good points, my mistake. The 4.6 HSE does move out quite quickly from a standstill.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by redgtocruiser View Post
    Thanks again. I am going to keep it simple with the 4.6. Find a relatively low mile sub 100k motor, and only refresh it down to the cylinder heads. Not planning on pulling the heads off.

Now with the 4.4 I will have on hand. It already has a failed head gasket so anything is game with that motor on rebuild. I would like to drop it into an E30 convertible.
    I have to say, there are times I question my choice to not do an s62 swap over the 4.6 but now that there are 2 m wagons in my neighborhood I'm thinking I made the right call. The next touring however might get the s62 but I'm still riding the rarity wagon (pun intended) of the 4.6 I hope you do it. You can always buy the parts to make the mb44 into an mb46 gor your 4.4 block. JimLev and Wagons ho have great insight on that project.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 11-15-2016 at 12:26 AM.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    And this is the only engine swap option if you want to keep the automatic. An S62 swap requires a 6-speed, there's no way to make that engine work with an automatic. Swapping in a 4.6 can be quite cost effective since you keep your transmission and everything else.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    And this is the only engine swap option if you want to keep the automatic. An S62 swap requires a 6-speed, there's no way to make that engine work with an automatic. Swapping in a 4.6 can be quite cost effective since you keep your transmission and everything else.
    Agree w a ton of what is said but for the scarcity of 4.6 motors. They don't grow on trees and tend to go pricey, hence the S62 is generally a better choice being really far more motor and lower cost easier to source...

But yeah it's "more interesting" build certainly to do...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Agree w a ton of what is said but for the scarcity of 4.6 motors. They don't grow on trees and tend to go pricey, hence the S62 is generally a better choice being really far more motor and lower cost easier to source...

But yeah it's "more interesting" build certainly to do...
    Does make me wonder whether or not it'd be feasible to tune the M62 DME to run an S62 if one *really* wanted to keep the automatic. VANOS would be the hard part (especially exhaust), but in principle I think it would be possible.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Since Platt's thread is the closest thing to a performance build thread, I'll say that I'm still working on my m62 4.7. I'm trying to get off G.G.'s dead pool so I can get back to this and other projects.

- - - Updated - - -

All those dead s62 cams have to go somewhere.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Since Platt's thread is the closest thing to a performance build thread, I'll say that I'm still working on my m62 4.7. I'm trying to get off G.G.'s dead pool so I can get back to this and other projects.

- - - Updated - - -

All those dead s62 cams have to go somewhere.
    LoL - the dead pool. I'm so glad I didn't make that list. The sheer pressure of it.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Does make me wonder whether or not it'd be feasible to tune the M62 DME to run an S62 if one *really* wanted to keep the automatic. VANOS would be the hard part (especially exhaust), but in principle I think it would be possible.
    Can't link threads, but it has been tried before to the point where the car has been put back together with s62 and a slushbox, and they just couldn't get them to play nicely together

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    The motor doesn't care but its brain does. You and DUDMD could do it I'm sure but to how many? I don't think anyone would really want it once they got to the commitment stage. Personally, I'd feel like a married guy wearing a condom with the wife of ten years if I had an s62 with an auto. I get the desire but I'd want to bang gears and downshift too much with that engine. But, I drove a twin turbo Z with an auto for a year, loved that car and the turbos lasted longer because they were spooled up less violently than a 5spd version. It was nice. Tough call I guess. To each their own.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Lolol
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    There's a few 4.6is engines on ebay now for around $4k

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...924042&alt=web

There's one one there now for under $2k but they claim it runs rough but since you'll be dismantling it, you can put it together corrected and save a ton of $!

But, there's also just the heads/cams for around $2,300 so if you already have a 4.4 block...
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 11-14-2016 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ...and said block is out and you are good w notching pistons...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast