Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.6is M62B46 into '03 540it. From day one.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    If anyone thinks that bmw didn't half-ass the exhaust manifold on the 4.6is, check this garbage out. Anything would be better.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 07-27-2017 at 06:51 AM.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    If anyone thinks that bmw didn't half-ass the exhaust manifold on the 4.6is, check this garbage out. Anything would be better.
    Yikes!
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    No, I haven't dyno'd since TerraPhantm and DUDMD's 4.6 flash. I KNOW! I've been busy.

I have every intention on getting it done but I haven't had a chance to run to the shop. I've honestly been busy almost every day since the last time I saw DUDMD.

By now I've got about 3k miles on the 4.6 and there was a camshaft position sensor code on bank 2 that came up but after clearing it, it hasn't returned.

I do have a sound that resembles a timing chain "slap" between shifts of the automatic from say 2nd-3rd and again to 4th when I'm pushing the engine hard (into redline) I'm not really sure what up with that. It's really short in duration and not loud but it's there and so I'm looking into what it could be.

This weekend I had the good fortune to be side-by-side with an '88-89 testarossa at a metered on ramp to i-5. The light went green and he took off but with a little black smoke bellowing out his exhaust. I figured this was my sign. I goosed it and by the time I hit 70,he was behind me by a few car lengths. His passenger and him took the HOV lane and as they passed I got 2 thumbs up. We exchanged overtakes for a few miles but I got hung up in Seattle traffic a bit further south and they passed me up and went about their drive.

I was still mentally grinning when in my 15mph commute I sided up to 4 guys in an e63 amg. I wasn't in the mood to get stomped so I went easy on their right as I passed. They had an opportunity to pass me a few moments later and gave me an exhaust bump. It sounded nice and so I burped mine the next time I went by.

They were along side and 4 thumbs went up before a clearing allowed them to open the throttle and get some distance between us. As they caught up, all windows were down and they had the camera phones out and were motioning me to make a run so I obliged and did a quick rip to about 110. As they passed again we all waved at each other and went our seperate routes. It was a good day in traffic.

Just letting you know that the car hasn't blown up and I'm still loving the engine.

When I get 2 days off in a row I promise to dyno and then I'll be ready for some new pipes to be installed.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 07-20-2016 at 09:06 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Today I went to start the car and got an awful set of sounds from under the hood. It sounded like it was chain guide failure at first but then the car felt like it wasn't firing all cylinders. It shuddered with each cylinder that did fire and then when that was over, it gave me a loud persistent tick that increased in volume and frequency as the rpm's increased.

I shut her down and checked the dipstick, bone dry. I removed the oil fill cap to make sure the metal was at least wet and it was. I scanned the car and got 3 cylinder misfires.

I added 3 quarts of oil and started it up again. Much easier this time and no shuddering or sounds of misfires but that tick is still there and it's a different tick than the vanos rattle.

I'm going to remove my valve covers to check the rockers.
    I think I might have scarred a lifter or rocker arm. It was running fine when I parked it last, and sat for a day before I tried to run it again. If it was drying as I was driving I might have lost lube on the top end.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    There aren't any rocker arms in our engines. Dis ain't no sissy push rod engine, yo!

Just bucket type hydraulic lifters. So check the lifters only.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Uncle plattus.The bigger question is, how did you get down three quarts?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Aye.

Essplain Uncle!!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Yes, hydraulic lifters... The little round silver things the cam lobes ride on, not rockers.

On the oil leak, I have no idea. No puddles I can see in the driveway, no smoke, no wet with oil engine bay...

No low oil warning light either. I'll need to check that sensor and see what's going on there.

So I took it for a drive and got oil into the lifters and the tick has gone 90% away. The power is still there and it "feels" ok. I'm sure I did some damage to the lifter if not the cam by letting it run so low.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    I'll have the car on a lift in about 3 hrs. I'm at the cabin today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    There aren't any rocker arms in our engines. Dis ain't no sissy push rod engine, yo!

Just bucket type hydraulic lifters. So check the lifters only.
    I should have said it sounds like rocker ticking. I don't know why I didn't remember that. I was bawls deep in this engine just 6 months ago. I even took pictures of the lifters... Too many engines. My carbon footprint is bigger than my budget should allow.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Maybe it's consuming oil? Check the inside of your intake manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

The heads have new valve stem seals, correct?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Maybe it's consuming oil? Check the inside of your intake manifold.

- - - Updated - - -

The heads have new valve stem seals, correct?
    All new seals. Good call. I'll see if it's all gummy in there.

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Auaq,don't know how to highlight or "quote"essplain uncle. It's simple Plattus is always good for a story, like that uncle at your family gathering. I'd be like the drunk, or crazy uncle, oh wait...I might be. Plattus, that's a lot of oil gone for a fresh resealed motor. Hope you find out the cause, and nothing suffered.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    On a lift, I didn't see anything but a power steering, ATF leak at the steering box. The engine sounds like normal now so I'll get a fresh oil change and see how long it takes to lose a quart.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Sounds like your car is aspiring to be an M5 with all of the oil it consumes. I guess start checking the oil levels every time you get gas. You'll be getting the M5 experience for a fraction of the cost
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Sounds like your car is aspiring to be an M5 with all of the oil it consumes. I guess start checking the oil levels every time you get gas. You'll be getting the M5 experience for a fraction of the cost
    Unless he burns this engine up XD

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    Unless he burns this engine up XD

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    None of that talk!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    This's funny. God I hope not but it's a small price to pay if so. I really need to figure out why my oil level sensor didn't alert me.

So I drained and replaced the oil to proper levels and things seem normal. Perhaps this winter I'll put some new lifters in or possibly shim them to spec.

It'd be great if I did them when it's time for header installation. 2 birds, one stone things are cool.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 08-11-2016 at 01:15 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Hey Platts did you ever figure out what the deal was w/ oil consumption & level sensor?

Heard a crazy story this week about a domestic V8 where a truck was mysteriously running like crap and got bought by a mechanic for cheap... He starts digging in and finds end of the dipstick somehow rusted off, drains 10quarts of oil out of a 6qt sump. New stick and proper oil and the truck ran perfect. Not saying that's related at all your problem obv, just a kooky story which was 'looks like disappearing oil but is really accumulating oil!'.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    My x5 had that issue with not warning about low oil. My dipstick leaked only when the car was off. It was 2.5 qts low. Wound up having to get another motor. The cam bearings had cooked themselves. Motor had lots of metal in it.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Hey Platts did you ever figure out what the deal was w/ oil consumption & level sensor?

Heard a crazy story this week about a domestic V8 where a truck was mysteriously running like crap and got bought by a mechanic for cheap... He starts digging in and finds end of the dipstick somehow rusted off, drains 10quarts of oil out of a 6qt sump. New stick and proper oil and the truck ran perfect. Not saying that's related at all your problem obv, just a kooky story which was 'looks like disappearing oil but is really accumulating oil!'.
    Yikes, that's terrible. I'll take another look with the splash guards off. We didn't see anything on a lift.

I didn't remove the intake manifold. It's been suggested that I might to look for heavy amounts in there too.

Thanks for the thought and possible direction to shine a light. Appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    My x5 had that issue with not warning about low oil. My dipstick leaked only when the car was off. It was 2.5 qts low. Wound up having to get another motor. The cam bearings had cooked themselves. Motor had lots of metal in it.
    Ok, I'll look today. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    Ouch.

BITD I'd say we're all boneheads for not catching it, but with modern engine oil consumption, you just never think you need to check the stick every few fill ups like BITD. It's mostly a complete waste of time...

FWIW, if you have a car that's consuming a bit (and not just leaking it like my UTC's...) , this stuff is amazeballz for oil-burner cars. Used in my wife's car, and in my old Audi under the current owner. Totally solved the wifes VAG 2.0T stupid oil-eating syndrome (which they all do to some degree or another).

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...cument&land=gb
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I'll try it because we saw nothing yesterday.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Hey Platts did you ever figure out what the deal was w/ oil consumption & level sensor? Heard a crazy story this week about a domestic V8 where a truck was mysteriously running like crap and got bought by a mechanic for cheap... He starts digging in and finds end of the dipstick somehow rusted off, drains 10quarts of oil out of a 6qt sump. New stick and proper oil and the truck ran perfect. Not saying that's related at all your problem obv, just a kooky story which was 'looks like disappearing oil but is really accumulating oil!'.
    that's quite a story, and a good painting of dumbassery at its best... How do u not notice the jagged no longer marked dipstick? And rust and all? Hrrmmmm
    Last edited by angeleye540i; 08-22-2016 at 05:59 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Ouch.

BITD I'd say we're all boneheads for not catching it, but with modern engine oil consumption, you just never think you need to check the stick every few fill ups like BITD. It's mostly a complete waste of time...

FWIW, if you have a car that's consuming a bit (and not just leaking it like my UTC's...) , this stuff is amazeballz for oil-burner cars. Used in my wife's car, and in my old Audi under the current owner. Totally solved the wifes VAG 2.0T stupid oil-eating syndrome (which they all do to some degree or another).

http://www.liqui-moly.com/liquimoly/...cument&land=gb
    Their 5w40 worked great on my 1.8t. 5k miles and no burning later.

I realized it was 2 quarts low for a while and cringed. Had 3 quarts left because big ass filter. But really lowish oil isn't the end of the world.
    Last edited by XAlt; 08-22-2016 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I have two 5qt jugs of it in the trunk of my E46

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    Their 5w40 worked great on my 1.8t. 5k miles and no burning later.

I realized it was 2 quarts low for a while and cringed. Had 3 quarts left because big ass filter. But really lowish oil isn't the end of the world.
    Agreed - assume you ran the big TDI filter like many of the audidudies.

I can hear my wife's 2.0T when its low on oil. She can't but I can, and its less than a quart, def before the light comes on.
    husband: "yer low on oil again."
    wife: "what? how can you tell!? sounds fine to me."
    Last edited by geargrinder; 08-23-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added quote for clarity who I was respondo
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    I have two 5qt jugs of it in the trunk of my E46
    I mean it's expensive tbh, but so is Castrol meh machine. Rotella T6 is my go to brokeboy 5w40.
    Last edited by XAlt; 08-23-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast