Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.6is M62B46 into '03 540it. From day one.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Just a taste;

https://youtu.be/RQMmF3hITU4

https://youtu.be/iVuDVL7rnSc

The tools needed for this instal:

Oh, and a mallet/piece of 2x4.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-17-2018 at 05:00 PM.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    The 546iT was in cali and Jed didn't even tell me!?

That half melted wrench though!
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    I like driving here, it is purposeful if not slightly chaotic at times. I swear the cops enjoy watching everyone and I mean everyone either drive 90 or 3 mph in stop and go traffic.
    I'm a bit nocturnal so driving @ midnight till 9am is not so much for me to deal with and I almost always miss rush hour traffic in big cities. Being transparent here, I've maintained the speed limit checked with gps, the whole way except the previous excursion I spoke of and then all around San Diego on i-5. You would get demolished if you did the speed limit in any lane.
    People hit on-ramps @ 75-80 regularly and a 3 lane change is so common that even patrol cars I've witnessed just let it go. I saw one guy get pulled over when he drove on the outside shoulder of the HOV lane to pass someone. I guess that was over the line but not much else is.

It's like Disneyland for driving enthusiasts. The Autobahn with fewer rules. Scary at times but I always hang back to see what's ahead and give myself an out if needed.

Sorry, thanks. I'm just rambling now. (sleep deprivation)

Tomorrow @ 8,Jed and I as he put it, "disassemble the car"
    You need to drive in Milwaukee

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    --- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    You need to drive in Milwaukee

I've done the East coast. Crazy there too. Detroit reminded me of combat. Everyone was out for #1. Bigger or faster won the spot. Lines were guidelines only and the snow and ice didn't slow anyone down, at all.

I'll be happy to get home where you can merge without calling your 1st of kin beforehand.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post

I'm still in La Jolla. I'll head home tomorrow morning. Taking 57 N and then 210 E to I-5 N to avoid L.A. Pothole and traffic jam warehouse that place.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post

Jed said that that was the first tool he ever made welding. It's his mojo wrench. I wanted to polish and frame it.

My Cars
    01 750il, E38/9 Parts
    Jed said that that was the first tool he ever made welding. It's his mojo wrench. I wanted to polish and frame it.
    You can't polish it, it might rub off some of the mojo!

--- 750il Maintenance/Restoration Thread --- E38/9 Parts Cars --- YouTube Channel ---

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonBH View Post
    You can't polish it, it might rub off some of the mojo!

Word. LoL

My Cars
    02 M5, 02 525iT
    Update;
    Today I ran the ol' girl on 2 different dyno's because the numbers I got back were... Odd?

I've lost 20 hp since the tune and my afr is goofballed throughout the power curve. I'll deal with that when Jed and I are done with the exhaust. My departure keeps getting pushed back by details but I'll leave this Saturday at the latest.

This one shows last year pre and today's post tune but the difference is about a year's time and not very impressive considering the better numbers came from a stock 4.4 DME tune.

I'm seeing a cam pos sensor and o2 sensor, both bnk 2... Time to check in with the mechanics.

As to the numbers, each machine reads completely different and I don't remember the equation to get close to true rwhp. We'd have to ask DUDMD. He ran the dyno and can explain his stats and dyno info way better. (minus that 4th readout down. That was a freaky thing to see when it happened) That, a stock 4.4 would destroy!

We were all wondering what happened there but 5 minutes later things got better. Not terribly better but better. Still wondering why the AFR wanders all over the place and why the advance is so off.

I have my stock 4.4 dyno in here somewhere. (this thread)
    This is a comparison between my 4.4 and my 4.6, best runs in 4th gear on a stock 4.4 dme tune;

Just for comparison.
    Dima said this on my dyno post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -TimA

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by lilflipM42 View Post
    Dima said this on my dyno post

I'm sure that's accurate. My problem is why I lost a solid 20hp in a year. Honestly, it could have been in a day. We didn't dyno my car till a year later (my mistake. Lazy) The tune could have done this if something was off. I wouldn't feel a gain or loss of 20 hp really. Possibly but not necessarily.

My Cars
    '95 Avus M3 & '03 540iT
    My problem is why I lost a solid 20hp in a year.
    What impact does temperature or air pressure have on these results? Could it have been a seasonal difference?
    '95 Avus/Dove M3 Coupe, 5sp
    '95 Avus/Black M3 Coupe, LS3/T56-Magnum swap (in progress)
    '97 Cosmos M3 coupe, 5sp - sold
    '03 540iT M-Tech, Alpine White on Sand (128K for sale, asking $14K)

My Cars
    02 M5, 02 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by denigod View Post
    What impact does temperature or air pressure have on these results? Could it have been a seasonal difference?
    The dyno can adjust, I know the dyno dynamics goes off the local weather station.

-TimA

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by lilflipM42 View Post
    The dyno can adjust, I know the dyno dynamics goes off the local weather station.
    Actually any half decent dyno has air temp and pressure and perhaps humidity sensors onboard. "Corrected" means it's adjusted for those things and there's 2 standards for corrections - "standard" and "SAE". That's actually how guys game dynos... Put the dyno temp sensor in a warm place when the real engine fed air is actually cold and dense and bingo... Nice fat inflated numbers.

Good dyno ops and setups check calibration regularly and be sure all that works well. IME for real real good dyno shops, results can be reasonably if not exactly compared, but there's tons of ops who, if not out and out sketchy, just don't bother to be sure things are all in proper order, hence the general advice "can not compare dynos".
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    02 M5, 02 525iT
    Yep a great way to compare is to run the dyno before and after modification on the same day with the same cold engine which then requires it to be a long day...

-TimA

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Got to meet Lee and hang out for a bit last night. It was the three musketeers- Lee, dmo and myself. The 4.6 sounded very nice and seemed to have more than enough power on tap - based on my seat of the pants assessment. We also got to talk about the spoilers and all the huge amount of work that was put into them. Glad to see things back on track - kudos to everyone involved.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Luv u guys. I'm beat, just got home, haven't slept since 8 am yesterday and it's after 8 pm now. I'll post more vids and comment on the week but I am so glad I am part of the touring community and have met the people I have as a result of it. Jed, dmo, AquilaBMW, thanks for rendering your time, expertise and time. I'm forever in your debt.
    Goodnight ya'll!

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    So, on an automatic, these will clear the transmission with room to spare. The steering box and starter areas are a little tight but easily manageable.

If you're thinking of doing this after seeing the #'s, make sure that you have an exhaust pipe from the headers back that's at least 2.5" in diameter, 2.75-3" would be best.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Glad you made it home safe buddy. The header system looks AMAZING! Who's that weird guy under your car? LOL! I see Jed shaved huh?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    So here's what I need to do before running on the dyno:

Figure out the distance from the exhaust port(last one on the rear, each side) to the o2 sensor for the precat location on a 4.6is engine. Add a bung, a 90° adapter for the sensor and a spacer to keep the tip of the sensor out of the direct flow of the gasses. Install all that. If you know the length, I'd be super appreciative.

Remove my rear cats and code them out completely.

Then I can take the car to Dima, DUDMD and get to the numbers you and I want to see.

There's still the matter of the lost power last time I was on the dyno... Tune up time? New coils, injectors, plugs, filters...?

On the initial feel/sound from the headers:

Driving 1,800 miles from La Jolla, CA I can say they add to the aggressive tambour of the exhaust. I was more nervous than ever passing cops. Average driving, each shift sounds like I'm trying to race. In other words, before it was just a rolling build up to peak volume, now it's just evil from the get-go.

Fifth gear pulls harder, fourth is fun but 3rd is my new best friend. The headers sound so perfect.

Keep in mind, the only "mufflers" I have are the m5 resonator and the post cats. So getting on it is almost as loud as these pipes can get.

There's a slight vibration at idle like a 12" or 15" subwoofer is blasting @ 25 htz. Before, the exhaust manifold was absorbing the offset explosions within one single piece. Now, each explosion has its own escape route and so there's nothing to lessen the energy transfer to the engine, the engine mounts, frame and car as a whole.

I might add a washer (rubber) to the engine mounts to dampen this. I also have a little while before all the tubing has settled into place and found their comfortable homes. Once a week goes by, I'll dampen the spring clips with a heat wrap to eliminate the "twang" they can make when cold and I get too accelerator happy too soon.

That being said, I loved the feel, sound and the response when getting on it. I can't honestly say what numbers are going to show but I know it was worth it. I will be getting a muffler of some kind because the days of just cruising around and not being challenged at every stop light are gone. Every kid in Cali with a pipe wanted to test or impress me.

The "drone" at this point with no mufflers is more than most probably want. Again, no mufflers on this setup yet. I like the noise coming from a luxury wagon but there's something to be said about not showing all your cards right after the deal. I'd love electric cutouts to a muffled system because there's also something to be said for just being the loudest kid in the room.

I found I didn't need to downshift to pass quickly but if I did for funzies, that was quicker than before and the car announced its intentions with no confusion to other motorists.

If you would like to see the smile the combo of a 4.6 and the Unicorn headers made with Jed, keep in mind he has an s62 6 speed in his wagon, take a moment to watch this:

https://youtu.be/Gas1-6ZfT7Y
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-21-2017 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Glad you made it home safe buddy. The header system looks AMAZING! Who's that weird guy under your car? LOL! I see Jed shaved huh?
    If you haven't seen an imola red/blk touring... Damn. AquilaBMW brought it and dmo showed up in this minty clown shoe, sterling or titanium silver. It was like being greeted by family. A few moments on asphalt, a few beers and much pontificating on the features of one another's cars. It was a highlight for sure.

Michael, do the full swap or at the least, swap in the red leather on the seats and door cards. I'm still pissed you found that car but I look forward to you using it next year for your cross country tour THAT WILL INCLUDE WASHINGTON!!!

Dmo, do the subframe reinforcement and have fun in that coupe brother! That thing is begging to toss you around that cockpit, let it and let me video it from the passenger seat. Enjoy the spoiler. Great meeting and again, thanks for waiting for me to put that new hood on before leaving San Diego. Now on to that bumper repair.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    https://youtu.be/cqX-n_Qo198

This one was us getting stupid. Bad video reaction time led to the shortness of this clip but it was fun.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    ///M Police time.
    Emblems ordered. Now if I can get back to having fun with my car..?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Time to vote, again. (for "Unicorn" headers)

Or
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-17-2018 at 05:04 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    "none of the above" ? don't like the script font... the 5 especially is very "non BMW / non E39"
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    two 3's one 5 three 7's
    I agree with GG, you can get 540iT (or 546iT in your case) in BMW font from BMW, personally I'd go that way if I were to rebadge but it's your car so do what makes you happy.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Any updates on DUDMD tune improvements / gains over stock 4.4 DME tune with the 4.6? Direct compare?

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast