My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 3.0i

Question 2006 X5 Battery replaced and now radio and key fob not responding

I had to replace the battery today and now the radio will sound will respond but I cannot change channels and I cannot set the clock. Also, the key fob is not responding. I did check my owners manual and it looks like this model does not require the reprogramming required of other BMWs. Help how can I fix this issue.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I don't know of any way that changing the battery could cause either of your issues. Did you accidentally hook the cables up backwards, even for a split second? You didn't use a "battery saver" on the car while you were changing the battery, did you? (There are devices which plug into the obd port or cigarette lighter which are meant to save your settings when the battery is disconnected - these are generally owned by domestic-car mechanics. They ruin many electric items on BMWs)

Are you sure that these items worked before you changed the battery? After all, when's the last time you set the clock? And maybe you always listen to the same radio station, and only noticed you couldn't change channels, because the radio lost memory during the battery swap? As for the key functions not working, take the key to a local O'Reillys or Autozone, where they have a device which can tell whether the key is transmitting a signal.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I have to wonder if the new battery was fully charged when it was installed?

Chris, does this model require battery registration? Does this model have "hidden obc functions"?

Why was the battery replaced? Did suddenly die? Are there any warning lights illuminated in the dash? I recommend you have the alternator checked out.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    I'm pretty sure this is an E53 x5, since the OP said it was a 3.0i, not a 3.0si, which would be an E70. And I'm pretty sure that the 6-cylinder E53s didn't have battery registration. But even if they did, there's no way that the radio station setting, clock setting, and key functions should be messed up by a battery swap, unless a "battery saver" was used, which might well have fried some circuits in the body module or other computers.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    i wonder if pulling and reseating fuses for the radio might help. i've done this before to "reboot" HVAC on an e46, and radio on an x3. it's at least a free fix to try. agreed, though, i can't see how changing the battery could cause these issues.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5 3.0i
    Thank you all...no battery saver was used. The radio works great now and the key fob is working but now the OBC is not working (cannot set the time). My mechanic said the only option may be to buy a new obc.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X5

Replaced battery need help clearing codes that are now on

Almost same problem. Replaced battery in my 2006 X5 3.0, now service engine soon light is on with 5 codes. Cleared codes but came back on. Also, radio isn't working now.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by vrilman View Post
    Almost same problem. Replaced battery in my 2006 X5 3.0, now service engine soon light is on with 5 codes. Cleared codes but came back on. Also, radio isn't working now.
    The battery and the Service Engine Soon light aren't really connected. The SES light illuminates when things associated with the emissions system have set fault codes. Disconnecting the battery does not erase them (they will come back if the conditions is still there that caused them to illuminate). The SES light (the Check Engine light on some models) is part of the OBD II federal mandate that came into existance (in the USA) in 1996.

Retrieve the 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble codes). If you have a generic OBD II reader/scanner...you can just simply type "BMW Pxxxx" (where x = the code) into a google search box and take advantage of the 20 years of OBD II codes being discussed for solutions/remedies/fixes/etc.

If you have a specific OBD tool that has it's own codes...then you'll need to refer to that brand's table to find out what the codes mean. Or reveal what tool you used and perhaps a forum member has the same tool and has access to the table to help you trouble-shoot.

-

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)