Thread: Funky AC Issue, not common, no idea what it is

My Cars
    F82 M4 (2016)

Funky AC Issue, not common, no idea what it is

Hey there people,

Whenever I try to run the AC on my 86' 325i I get absolutely nothing but hot air, BUT WAIT! theres more! I look at the sight glass and theres no bubbles, no streaking, no nothing, just clear, looking like theres a full charge of freon in the system. Also when I turn on the AC i can hear the engine change due to the compressor being kicked on... but still... no cold air. And trust me, after standing a post for 12 hours a day, theres nothing worse than getting in your bimmer with the outside temp of 101 with 100% humidity and having it blow hot assed air at you. so what could the problem be? If the Compressor "seems" to be working, and there appears to be freon in the system, then could it be the condensor or evaporator? the condensor looks fine, a few of the fins are bent though and theres small twigs and dirt and whatnot in it :o/ I guess that might be it right there.

Anyone know if it could be anything else?

My Cars
    8 Wheels, 12 Cylinders
    You need yourself a pressure gauge...

Go on down to 'le Autozone (I guess that would be in France, but oh well) pick yourself up a gauge, see what the high end is doing and go from there. Could be a full charge or no charge at all...IIRC Bently mentions somewhere that there should at least be a few bubbles. Will have to dbl check that one.
    '87 325is - 220k
    '93 325i - 161k
    '05 G35 Sedan 6MT

RIP - '98 M3/4 66k - RIP

My Cars
    1988 325i Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ75
    You need yourself a pressure gauge...

Go on down to 'le Autozone (I guess that would be in France, but oh well) pick yourself up a gauge, see what the high end is doing and go from there. Could be a full charge or no charge at all...IIRC Bently mentions somewhere that there should at least be a few bubbles. Will have to dbl check that one.
    Think you want Il Autozone.. hehe.. sorry about going OT, just couldn't resist
    Propellerhead in Panama
    ---------------------------------------------
    1988 325ic - "Betty" - Daily Driver / Project Car
    ---------------------------------------------
    1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
    1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

My Cars
    F82 M4 (2016)
    Ooooorrr I could just go to "The Autoport" the base's equvilent of Autozone? :

I don't trust much as for tools out in the city, some italian crap.

uberpanzer is offline 4 banger's RULE!!! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3cars-36v. Math FTW!
    How long is it blowing the hot air? I know this sounds stupid, but have you given it time to cool down? Or is it still blowing hot air like 5 min later? PLEASE tell me that you didn't just shut it off since all that was coming out was hot air. The e30 AC takes a few minutes too cool down, esp if it is very hot out.

Is there an auto hobby shop on base? You could always try taking it there if there is, since a lot of people that are around could probably help. And you might be able to just borrow the gauge instead of buying it. ....I miss using someone else's lift and power tools....
    Metal Bumpers Are For BEEETCHES!!!!! "King of Lean" - Retired

"If that bikini isn't made of Micro-Fiber and has Quick Detailer on it then GTFO!" -BabyM

My Cars
    F82 M4 (2016)
    Well, I could take it to the on base mechanic but they charge up the ass, besides i do all my work myself, screw mechanics. It's just the AC system seemed to be a giant clusterfuck.

btw, it blows hot air constantly, ive left it on for 30 min before and nothing
    I actually believe now that it might not have a charge in it at all as when i turn the AC on full blast and the engine running and left running for a while theres absolutely nothing at all in the sight glass... just plain clear and able to see to the other end... no haze no liquid look, no nothing.

My Cars
    E30 318ic
    I used to have the same problem (just make sure your compressor starts when you push the a/c shwitch). I replaced the expansion valve inside the evaporator unit, not so easy task though, but fixed the problem A/C works fine now.

My Cars
    1986 L7, 1983 323i +++
    GRab the reciever/dryer. It should be about thirty degrees. If it isnt getting cold., you have an ac problem. Probably just a low charge.Ive seen compresors simply stop funtioning though. If it is getting cold, you have ab lend door problem. Check under your dash for the hot cold blend door kicking on