Thread: Auto to Manual Transmission Swap Wiring Issues

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2

Auto to Manual Transmission Swap Wiring Issues

I realize this has been covered by many (at least several) other folks who have been thru this and I have read most of them but I am still not completely straight and could use some confirmation. Most of this information is based on the 5 speed swap done by mon ami Bruno from www.bmwe34.net. Being my car is a 95 530iT, some of this I presume could be different.

1. Engine DME - A DME from an appropriate manual car must (or should?) be used for best performance. I have the 484 DME from the donor M540i, so as long as I can get my INPA or DIS to align the EWSII, I think I should be okay. Ultimately I will be seeking a 404 with a clipped pin 66 and a custom tune from DUDMD.

2. ASC functionality - A "manual" ASC computer must be used for ASC functionality, no Transmission computer required. I have or will soon have the ASC computer from the M540i donor as well.

3. Cruise control clutch disengage - Two pin plug with jumper is installed under dahboard with a jumper plug attached. Mine was mounted on the end of a group of steering column plugs. This plug must be plugged into cruise control cut out switch PN:61318360421.

4. Reverse light - Wiring must be run from manual transmission reverse switch to pin 6 (Green/black) and pin 7 (Blue/Yellow) on the X511 (8 pin connector) in center console as shown in these two pics:

Transmission harness harvested from donor (sorry Bruno, I cut your pristine and previously uncut M60B40 harness):

Two wires marked "back up lights":

5. Transprog error and dashboard AD, S4, etc. display fix - Ground the female side of pin 10 (grey or grey with brown stripe wire?) of the X506 12 pin connector, located in center console.

Two wires marked "transprog" are pin 10 from X506 and ground from now unused connector:

6. Starter Relay Jumper - A jumper or "blue stripe" relay-jumper must be installed in place of the existing relay.

The coveted blue stripe relay shown (thanks Govee):

Now here is the part where I where I feel like a complete doofus. I am not sure which relay to replace. One thread said that for a 1995, the relay was in the kick panel; it was not. Other threads says it's under the hood in the "relay" box. Still another thread shows a relay slot being jumpered in a spot where my car has no relay. So, below are two "relay boxes" under my hood, does anyone happen to know which relay is the one that gets swapped.

Is it one of these:

Or one of these:

Also, if I have any of this wrong, please chime in with the straight dope... BTW, I did look thru the super duper BMW wiring diagram manual for the car and it did not help.
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    I have a 95 525i so it probably doesn't apply, but I didn't need that last relay.

I I still don't have cruise control though, someone said I have to install a toggle switch at the shifter. No thanks.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    94 540i
    another post

Another confusing post on the relay's existence. I checked my 94 540ia and it has the orange relay as shown in other posts. I pulled the relay I gave you from a 95 525 manual car in the same locationas my 540's automatic relay.
    Last edited by govee; 11-24-2015 at 09:40 PM.

My Cars
    95 525it/5, 99 528i/5
    I just finished a manual swap on my 06/95 525it. I couldn't find any kind of starter relay like others have on pre-95, or on 95s like Russiankid's. Before the manual swap I had already disabled EWS to run a red label 413. This was the only thing I had to do on my car to make it start with a manual.
    For the cruise control I only had to plug in the clutch switch. Unfortunately the car will start without the clutch depressed, but I can put up with it for now.

I suspect you'd have problems using the original EWS dme, but you might be able to find a way to keep the EWS in place and jump it in some way.

My Cars
    E36x2, E34x2
    Quote Originally Posted by cddallara View Post
    I have a 95 525i so it probably doesn't apply, but I didn't need that last relay. I still don't have cruise control though, someone said I have to install a toggle switch at the shifter. No thanks.
    No relay for you; interesting. Regarding your CC, did you find the clutch switch plug and jumper under the dash? If not I would think even without the actual switch, just disconnecting the jumper would allow you to use your CC. Without the switch to clutch pedal would not disengage it.

Quote Originally Posted by govee View Post
    another post Another confusing post on the relay's existence. I checked my 94 540ia and it has the orange relay as shown in other posts. I pulled the relay I gave you from a 95 525 manual car in the same locationas my 540's automatic relay.
    I hadn't read this thread, but I did read the thread he references within it. I checked my kick panel and no starter relay.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWheadSpence View Post
    I just finished a manual swap on my 06/95 525it. I couldn't find any kind of starter relay like others have on pre-95, or on 95s like Russiankid's. Before the manual swap I had already disabled EWS to run a red label 413. This was the only thing I had to do on my car to make it start with a manual. For the cruise control I only had to plug in the clutch switch. Unfortunately the car will start without the clutch depressed, but I can put up with it for now. I suspect you'd have problems using the original EWS dme, but you might be able to find a way to keep the EWS in place and jump it in some way.
    So no relay for you either. And the clutch switch doesn't prevent starting without the clutch depressed? Is it supposed to?

The DME piece of this is not too big a worry right now. As I understand it, a "red label" 413 DME on a 525i is like the 404 DME on a 530i/540i (and silver label is like the 484). One of these should work:

1) I have the Touring's original 530i 484 DME, but I'm not sure if a B40 will run with a B30 DME?
    2) I have a 404 DME from a 540i Auto; I believe a manual car will run (but with issues) with an auto DME.
    3) And then there is the 484 DME from the M540i (manual of course...), which (I believe) I should be able to align with DIS or INPA on my diagnostic laptop.
    Rick
    <><

1993 325is - The New Daily?
    1998 323is - The Daily Beater
    1995 530i - The Alternate Beater
    1995 540i/6 Touring - Lord Borthwick
    1995 540i - The Donor & Parts Locker - Finally sent to the Crusher - RIP

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    I did find the clutch pedal jumper thing and plugged it in. The car will start without the clutch, but no cruise control. It may have other issues?
    I am running a red label 413 dme with a cut wire as well.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    95 525it/5, 99 528i/5
    Corey, what did you do with your console connectors?

Bimmerick, the clutch switch prevents starting on other cars, though I don't recall if it did on my donor car. As far as your DME, I imagine the easiest solution is to get a chip for a 540i/6 404 to put in your 404. If thats not an option, at least you know the 540ia dme/chip will run the engine ok, if a little slow in the low end.