Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Bragar Eagel & Squire, P.C. Investigating BMW Wheel Defect

My Cars
    BMW

Bragar Eagel & Squire, P.C. Investigating BMW Wheel Defect

Bragar Eagel &Squire, P.C. is a New York-based law firm concentrating in commercial and securitieslitigation.

We areinvestigating potential claims on behalf of a client with a 2012 BMW 7-Seriesvehicle.

Our clientexperienced 3 cracked wheels during normal driving conditions, necessitatinghis wheels and tires be replaced.

We understand suchwheels have been installed on various BMW 5-series, 7-series, and ActiveHybridvehicles.

Ifyou are a driver who has experienced these problems with your BMW wheels, haveinformation or would like to learn more about these claims,please contact Rosa Taylor, a paralegal at Bragar Eagel & Squire,P.C., by email at taylor@bespc.com,or telephone at (212) 308-5858.

My Cars
    2014 750li
    I have also suffered with three of my 20 inch wheels on my 1024 750Li.
    BMW denies responsibility. Anyone have any advice. The new rims and tires have, so far, cost me over $4000.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

You'll need to prove that the wheels are not fit for purpose and to do that, you'll need to pay for tests to be carried out independently and then have the results shown to the lawyer/judge in any legal claim you open. BMW and all other brands that are legally operating in Western countries make all of their products to internationally agreed standards. All the R&D, testing and certification is held with those OEM manufacturers and have been approved for use on public roads by BMW's legal entity within the countries it operates in.

Wheels are not infallible, over a period of time chances of them being bumped/knocked hard enough when going over road surfaces and undulations increases and thus, the chance of damage like bends and cracks also increases.

I doubt you'll really get anywhere in trying to prove BMW (or any other marque) is responsible for approving weaker wheels.

Another aspect is are you using Runflat tyres? if so, these kinds of tyres have much stiffer sidewalls and when going over a pothole/larger road undulation, then the forces are transmitted through the tyre to the wheel. That 'force' can be enough to bend or crack wheels. Usually, most OEM wheels are made using a 'cast method' of manufacture. They use high grade and quality aluminium alloy and often have post manufacturing processes to increase strength. However, this method of manufacturing is the most common giving a balance of weight/strength/price. There's other manufacturing processes which make for stronger wheels - Flow Formed, light pressure cast and Forged. Forged is the most expensive but also the strongest.

Going forward, I'd say get non runflat tyres first. If your wheels still get damage, you could go to 19 inch sizing and use tyres with a slightly higher aspect ratio to give a little more 'cushion'. If you still get problems, then go for stronger wheels. Depending on your level of annoyance, you might want to go straight to non runflat tyres and new stronger wheels rightaway!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2014 750li
    Dennis, I was indeed told by my BMW service rep that the slow leaks on my rear wheels was the result of run-flats. He convinced me to shell out for new tires. But the leaks on my rear tires came back after a few weeks. Inspections confirmed cracks on both rear wheels. 3 on one and 4 on the other. I replaced those wheels with ones I purchased that were from a 2007 750Li. All in all I have spent about $4000+ in fixing what I know have learned it a factory defect in the wheels.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL1516 View Post
    All in all I have spent about $4000+ in fixing what I know have learned it a factory defect in the wheels.
    Hi,

You'll need to provide evidence of your accusation in court. That's your next step if you are trying to recover your $4K.

Cheers, Dennis!