Thread: DSC DBC ABS fault Battery Terminals! Check! BMW E90 320D from august 2005

My Cars
    BMW e90 320D 163

DSC DBC ABS fault Battery Terminals! Check! BMW E90 320D from august 2005

Hello everyone!

Before writing here, I was looking on many forums even in bimmerforums.co.uk but didn't solved yet my problem.
    My car is a BMW 320D E90 from august 2005 (M47N2) with manual transmission and with 233.000 km today...

3 months ago I changed my alternator (bought this one: VALEO 437538) and changed the battery as well (bought that one: Energizer EA95-L5) - as he told me, the guy who replaced alternator & battery told me he did registered the new battery in car computer.. ok... after this replacement, my car was fine and i made around 2000 km without problems...

like a month ago, i saw errors on dashboard: ABS, DSC, DBC (see video on youtube) I recorded what's happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgL_-TH4SRo

Few days after, i bought a little scanner (C110 BMW Scanner) and I have found that I had 2 faults in DSC section:
    fault1: "code 5DF7 System voltage too high"
    fault2: "code D373 No message (SZL C8, C9)"

Erased this faults and I monitored (with C110 scan utility) the battery voltage which was around 14V when the car was fine (no faults) but when the faults cames back, the voltage was around 16, 17 or even 18V sometimes...

After reading many forums with this subject, someones said it can be from voltage regulator on alternator and someones said it can be IBS sensor...

Since my alternator is new, I was thinking that my IBS sensor might be dead... Ordered another IBS cable (negative battery cable) and changed it... I had to drive somewhere for around 100km distance and after i've done around 10 km, all the messages were back... That pissed me off, I removed the IBS cables (2 blue cables) and drive like that without iBS connected... but i was on high way and for about 90 km distance, no messages (180, 190km/h, heated seats, music high volume, phone in charhing, car lights on...
    after I leave high way and drive in city conditions or national way conditions, i had errors again (the same errors but this time, remember, the IBS is disconnected)... when i returned, i choosed to not take the high way... so i drived 100 km on national ways and at every 15 or 20 km distance, the errors came back... i had to switch off the engine and turn it on again for the message to dissapear (switched off 2 times coz after i switched off the first time, the message BATTERY CONTACTS was still there and after i switched off the 2nd time, battery contacts message dissapear)...... SO THAT MAKES ME THINK THAT THE PROBLEM DON'T COME FROM IBS SENSOR but from voltage regulator on my alternator...
    Ok, today I ordered another one, BOSCH this time (alternator BOSCH model 0 986 080 580) - I hope after replacing this alternator everything will be fine... i will send the valeo in warranty and ask for a refund..

someone had similar problems? any advice?

thanks in advance !!

ps: that's how car looks today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBadJpYBrxw
    Last edited by shogun; 11-14-2015 at 06:00 PM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 330xi
    If IBS is bad your car will not start, if your Voltage shows higher it looks like you may have a bad Alternator.

My Cars
    BMW e90 320D 163
    Quote Originally Posted by Intel1 View Post
    If IBS is bad your car will not start, if your Voltage shows higher it looks like you may have a bad Alternator.
    You say if IBS is bad, car will not start... How you explain then that the car started fine without IBS ? I mean without 2 blue connectors...

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    IBS sends information to the DME. The DME decides on the charging algorithm. It sends that request to the alternator to control the charging. If the IBS is damaged the DME falls back on stored look up tables to charge the battery.
    The IBS is a data collection sensor nothing else...
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    BMW e90 320D 163
    PROBLEM FIXED THIS FRIDAY MORNING !!! So it was the voltage regulator in the alternator... I changed the alternator and all is good now.

Thanks !!

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Glad the alternator solved the problem. Don't be fooled thinking Bosch is some great quality German product. It is not and in fact middle of the road. Going back as far as 1998 they have used Chinese bearings and other non in house parts. That is why I rebuild my alternator when they fail which is very rare. I have more than one car so I have that luxury.
    BMWCCA 149159

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325I
    [QUOTE=pintea1202;28925344]Hello everyone!

Before writing here, I was looking on many forums even in bimmerforums.co.uk but didn't solved yet my problem.
    My car is a BMW 320D E90 from august 2005 (M47N2) with manual transmission and with 233.000 km today...

3 months ago I changed my alternator (bought this one: VALEO 437538) and changed the battery as well (bought that one: Energizer EA95-L5) - as he told me, the guy who replaced alternator & battery told me he did registered the new battery in car computer.. ok... after this replacement, my car was fine and i made around 2000 km without problems...

like a month ago, i saw errors on dashboard: ABS, DSC, DBC (see video on youtube) I recorded what's happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgL_-TH4SRo

Few days after, i bought a little scanner (C110 BMW Scanner) and I have found that I had 2 faults in DSC section:
    fault1: "code 5DF7 System voltage too high"
    fault2: "code D373 No message (SZL C8, C9)"

Erased this faults and I monitored (with C110 scan utility) the battery voltage which was around 14V when the car was fine (no faults) but when the faults cames back, the voltage was around 16, 17 or even 18V sometimes...

After reading many forums with this subject, someones said it can be from voltage regulator on alternator and someones said it can be IBS sensor...

Since my alternator is new, I was thinking that my IBS sensor might be dead... Ordered another IBS cable (negative battery cable) and changed it... I had to drive somewhere for around 100km distance and after i've done around 10 km, all the messages were back... That pissed me off, I removed the IBS cables (2 blue cables) and drive like that without iBS connected... but i was on high way and for about 90 km distance, no messages (180, 190km/h, heated seats, music high volume, phone in charhing, car lights on...
    after I leave high way and drive in city conditions or national way conditions, i had errors again (the same errors but this time, remember, the IBS is disconnected)... when i returned, i choosed to not take the high way... so i drived 100 km on national ways and at every 15 or 20 km distance, the errors came back... i had to switch off the engine and turn it on again for the message to dissapear (switched off 2 times coz after i switched off the first time, the message BATTERY CONTACTS was still there and after i switched off the 2nd time, battery contacts message dissapear)...... SO THAT MAKES ME THINK THAT THE PROBLEM DON'T COME FROM IBS SENSOR but from voltage regulator on my alternator...
    Ok, today I ordered another one, BOSCH this time (alternator BOSCH model 0 986 080 580) - I hope after replacing this alternator everything will be fine... i will send the valeo in warranty and ask for a refund..

someone had similar problems? any advice?

thanks in advance !!

ps: that's how car looks today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBadJpYBrxw[

Had the same problem thanks for the information!