Thread: Idles fine, stalls when RPM's drop too fast

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318ic

Idles fine, stalls when RPM's drop too fast

Hello everyone, I really need help with my car. I have an E36 1992 BMW 318ic with an M42 engine. Ever since I got it, the car randomly stalls out. It starts off pretty harshly, forcing me to start it while holding the gas pedal down. Once started and a few revs are given, it idles nicely and doesn't bob. Once I start driving, if the RPM's fall too fast, like if I switch to neutral from 3k RPM's or more, it would stall out once it got lower than 1k RPM's. It doesn't do it every time and to avoid the problem, I would stay in 4th gear until the RPM's got close to 1k, then only would I go into neutral without it stalling. It doesn't seem to be having all the much power either, all though the gas mileage is still good on it. I thought maybe because of the gas that I'm using, but that wasn't the case. Check engine light is not on, I cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body, and changed spark plugs. I was thinking maybe the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor is faulty, but wouldn't the check engine light go on? Please help...

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Not always. I vote crank sensor.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Poor performance with no check engine light says serious vacuum leak to me. Check the rubber intake elbow.

My Cars
    '91 318is, '99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    Poor performance with no check engine light says serious vacuum leak to me. Check the rubber intake elbow.
    This, I had a nearly identical problem in my M3. A tear in the intake boot will cause the exact symptoms you are experiencing so I would start there.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318ic
    Quote Originally Posted by m42b18 View Post
    This, I had a nearly identical problem in my M3. A tear in the intake boot will cause the exact symptoms you are experiencing so I would start there.
    Awesome guys thank you for the responses. Checked the elbow, and the elbow is not cracked or show any signs of holes in it. I went from stock intake to a short ram intake, but the problem was there with the stock intake as well. I cleaned the camshaft sensor, no help there, just ordered a crankshaft sensor and will change it when the camshaft and crankshaft sensors come in.

My Cars
    325i, 318ti, z3
    have you cleaned the idle control valve??

df

My Cars
    1994 BMW 318ic
    Sorry guys, I was out of town for a bit. I am wondering though, will changing camshaft and crankshaft position sensors even help? The check engine light is not on and never comes on. I used to have a check engine light for an oxygen sensor, but I cleaned that sensor and reset it and never had a problem since. What do you guys think?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 328
    No 1 answer
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

And no 2 answer
    Quote Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
    have you cleaned the idle control valve??
    No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.