Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E46 Build. Lets see if I can ruin this one a little less.

My Cars
    1985 535i

Does this look like the correct amount of angle for stock e46 rack with 4mm rack spacers on each side? I feel like something is holding my steering angle back and I can't visibly see what it might be. Unless my shortened sway bar end links are running out of travel.... help
    Last edited by Jrcanes55; 12-10-2015 at 05:10 PM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Disconnect the endlinks and see if it goes further? Its like two nuts lol

My Cars
    1985 535i
    But mooooommmmmm I want to be lazy.

Upon further investigation. My car will go further than that. But the car has to be moving and I have to fight it to go further. Then the rack will lock up.

My Cars
    98 323
    seems about right for stock + spacers
    Popular engine swap weights & stock engine weights
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs
    m52b25 vanos + g250 - 544lbs

351w + t5 trans - 572.5lbs
    LS,
    aluminum block + t56 - 609lbs
    LS, iron block + t56 - 719lbs, EST.
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...60-m42-1jz-2jz

My Cars
    vinyl wrapped 97 328is
    Rack spacers are a worthless imo I tried and tested with And without. No change in angle. All you're going to do is tear up the rack. I still have my rack spacers in at the moment but they will not be going on my new rack.

My Cars
    98 323
    Quote Originally Posted by whoshaunq View Post
    Rack spacers are a worthless imo I tried and tested with And without. No change in angle. All you're going to do is tear up the rack. I still have my rack spacers in at the moment but they will not be going on my new rack.
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    Quote Originally Posted by whoshaunq View Post
    They worked for me and hundreds of other people... but I will agree that they stress your rack seals if they are too thick. 4mm seems to be the safe spot with them.

BTW, doubt you remember but I yelled "Shaun quill is a f@g" at h2o like two years ago and you gave me a thumbs up.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    I need some help. Got the car on the alignment rack, just did AKG rtabs and at zero camber I cant bring my toe in to zero. It is stuck at around 1 degree toe out on the left and half a degree on the right. I'm wondering if my ride height is the issue? Figured I'd ask here before spending forever raising my car and re-aligning it since it's currently immobile with another snapped axle.

Did an event last weekend. Car was amazing. I had stickier tires in the rear and most of the pro am guys were having trouble keeping up with me.

Also threw on an M3 bumper, an ebrake extender, and got some icy M5 reps.

My Cars
    98 323
    i seem to remember a guy on here using washers or a spacer or something to shim the trailing arm to one side of the bracket that bolts to the body. i think this is an issue that low low cars that want zero camber have. either that or something's bent
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by jalopi View Post
    i seem to remember a guy on here using washers or a spacer or something to shim the trailing arm to one side of the bracket that bolts to the body. i think this is an issue that low low cars that want zero camber have. either that or something's bent
    I'm pretty sure something on the driver side is bent, but I'm going to start by raising the car a bit. See what that does.

My Cars
    Cosmos E36 M3 x2 !!!
    pro tip: Try pulling the dildos out of the trunk to fix alignment issues
    #NANNERFAB Custom BMW Aero & More
    IG: @Nanner_Tickleson
    1998 Cosmos M3/4/5
    1999 Cosmos M3/2/5

My Cars
    98 323
    eh?
    M42 + trans - 427lbs
    302 + t5 trans - 475lbs
    m20b27 + g260 - 497lbs

LS,

My Cars
    1985 535i
    TL;DR Midpond is lit and my e46 is now rekt.

What up fam? I haven't posted in a while so here's a fairly detailed recap of the last 6 months with my car. October-December I couldn't run any events, no time, money, or motivation. January came along and I finally went out to run piedmont drift our local event here in the Charlotte/Greensboro/Raleigh area. I was super excited. My first event with a functioning handbrake in the car, I was so excited. I spent the entire night before combing the car for any issues, triple checking my alignment, and making sure all my tire pressures were where I wanted them to be. I got to the event early, set up my pit, checked over the car again, topped off fluids. I was ready to go. I was second in line after the driver's meeting. First run was great. I was really rusty but had no issues linking the course. I hop back in line, second run I'm ready to throw it hard. Hit the first corner, it's lit. Second corner, water, all over my windshield. Steam is billowing out from under the hood. I roll the car back to the pits. Pop the hood. Upper radiator hose has been ripped apart at the thermostat end. Damn. I go get an e36 m3 hose and ghetto rig it to where I feel comfortable enough to try and run it again. So I get in line. I take it easy through the first corner. We're good. second corner. Water all over the windshield again. Get back to the pit. Same thing. Radiator hose ripped off. Look further into it and my left engine mount is split in half. Well that's my day over. So ghetto rig the hose again and limp it home.

At this point I'm fed up with driving. I spent so much time only to get rekt on my second run. So I replace my Engine and trans mounts, The few pieces of the cooling system I hadn't already replaced and decide to give it another shot. I wait a month to save up some money in case something else goes wrong on track. Head back to piedmont for the late febuary event because I know My friend Chris who is A: running pro 2 this season, and B: one of the few drivers there I trust to run tandem with is going to be there. So again roll up early, get set up. Get the best pit spot at the track. Roll up to the start line. Throw it in hard as balls and rip through the course. I was stoked. The car performed better than it ever has. I blasted the car all day, blew through all my tires. Ran some pretty decent tandems. I even ran a 4 deep drift taxi that blew both my rear tires out in one lap. I was stoked.

Chris managed to capture me getting two wheels off. This corner is awesome if you don't lift.

All in all it was an awesome event. It was the first event in a long time for me and the first event without any major issues. I was excited.

So I get the car back, fix a few odds and ends.

Sway bar end link issue

put my chassis brace back on

Clean up my hydro install

At this point I was ready to run the next piedmont. But about a week and a half before that I see a flyer for midpond. They dropped the price $100 for both days. I had zero issues at the last event, spent way less money than expected, so I have a few extra monies to spend. So I said Yolo. MY friend offered to tow me and another homie down to alabama. Lets do it! So I prep the car, mount an ungodly amount of tires on every single spare wheel I have. We all get on xbox live and attempt to plan the trip down. Three consecutive nights of Formula KA on long beach leads to nothing but arguments and making fun of each other. The night before we finally settle on a plan. Everyone meet at my work at 5:30, load up, and all ten of us leave Charlotte for Alabama at 6. 6:30 rolls around and the truck and trailer finally show up. We spend an hour loading up, arguing, shit talking, and getting nowhere. Finally leave at 7. Stop for food an hour later at the slowest bojangles on this entire planet. Leave there at like 9. Stop at walmart in Georgia and spend over AN HOUR getting food and attempting to buy alcohol (georgia is a scam) We finally leave there. Almost run out of diesel because Alabama closes all their gas stations for no reason and finally arrive at another walmart 15 minutes from the track at 4:00 am on Saturday. The track gates open at 6:30 so we "sleep" in the walmart parking lot, in the truck, for about two hours. We roll up to the gate at about 7. Unload, set up our pits, and then go die for about an hour before the driver's meeting. Hit the track at about 9:30.

We made it pretty much all day with little to no rain. At about 3 it starts to rain steadily. I took a three hour nap in my car at 2 woke up at 5 for the end of the day session, run over to the second driver's meeting before the night session. At this point it has poured and midpond is now mudpond. The track is disgusting. I'm not all that stoked. But I want to drive now that I'm not completely exhausted. So i watch for about 30 minutes. See that no one is really having any issues and after traffic on course dies down I hit the track so I can try and get some tandems in with the Chase Bays E36. With little to no traffic (midpond is run as an open lapping event) and a wet track. We went door to door for about 15 laps straight. It was honestly the most intense driving I have ever done. It was so much fun. It felt just like running Tsukuba for 10 laps on forza 4. Everything was going great until this mk3 supra hopped in and decided to put it on my door. First He ripped my rear bumper off. Whatever. It was damaged anyway. But three turns later Chase spun out. I spun with him. We avoided contact. But of course. Supra, on my door smashes into me. Crushes my door. Hits me into Chase and now my car is rekt. I Can't really be upset about it because it was some of the best driving I've ever been involved in. But at the same time. I literally just got my bumper painted and now I have unibody damage.

So after a night of being passed out in a hotel room we hit the track for day two. My car is disgusting. It looks like ass. But I'm still having more fun on track than I ever have. They attempted to run the track reverse but after about 20 cars get stuck in the mud and they spend most of the morning towing them out. They switch back to the original layout and things get crazy! The tandem trains got bigger and bigger and after a late lunch we line all the remaining drivers who are comfortable tandeming up for a massive train.

It was crazy. We finished the day. I ran through all 16 tires a brought. and we loaded up headed home, got back at 5am Monday morning. I slept for about an hour. Went to work and died until about Wednesday when I finally caught up on sleep. I'll update this with more videos when they upload. But there's my story. It was cool. Sorry if it sucks.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    TIL people communicate via xbox live.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    TIL people communicate via xbox live.
    Well all of us that went on the trip all play forza. So easiest thing to do is hop in a group chat, bang door, and figure stuff out.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Millenials.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2000 328i, B5 VW Passat
    looks like a fucking blast
    IG: allen_union

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Well I fixed my alignment issue finally. And I am now able to use my custom rear toe brackets to their full potential. What a difference it made. I ran our usual local event and with my alignment finally where I want it to
    be I was able to finally drift with speed and not just angle. The car had tons more grip than I've ever driven with. It was amazing. I was able to chase cars down, run wider lines and still be faster than other cars, and when some other dude in an e46 tried to follow me after the second turn on the course, I couldn't even see him. Oh and tire wear has now gone down from 12 tires and event to 6. So that is awesome as well.

Long story short, I hit a curb a long time ago and just was able to figure out my upper control arm was bent.

Bent one on the right

Alignment afterwards.

Pics from event most importantly, me trying to be like denofa and vaughn gooter around turn three.

and my project this weekend and next is to get my tow rig on the road.

I can't wait to start doing more out of state events. I'm so tired of running that track. Also hopefully soon on the list of things to buy will be angle products and some real coilovers. My racelands aren't going to last much longer.

And a video.
    Last edited by Jrcanes55; 04-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    I haven't updated this in fivever. Holy balls. I'll keep it short and sweet. In the almost year I've been absent. The car got SLR, BCs, a bunch of new suspension parts, modified toe brackets, a tune, and a ton of maintenance crap done. (Oil pump nut most importantly.) This season I have a ton of cool new events lined up, and planned on trying to do the youtube thing. But we'll see how that goes. I've even gone as far as setting up private days at our local track with friends to avoid the wait times and disorganization of the public events that are held there. Should be a fun year! I applied for gridlife south so hopefully that happens. Otherwise I'd like to make at least one trip down to lonestar to run TXSL. I'll be there for round one to spectate spotting for a pro-am team. Hopefully it just gives me the motivation to move down there and away from the NC drift scene which is not da bes. Pictures for update sake below. Car also now has eBay flares and stuff.

Last edited by Jrcanes55; 03-05-2018 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    98 328is
    come to texas. Lone Star Drift, Up-Shift, Club Loose Texas, Texas Drift Fest, and then the Corpus events i cant remember. South and Central Texas has so many drifting events its rad. all of them are skid pads though except the Houston Police Department events.

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I remember seeing that video on Facebook lol What hydro and shifter did you go with? Still on the 3.3 Diff?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    come to texas. Lone Star Drift, Up-Shift, Club Loose Texas, Texas Drift Fest, and then the Corpus events i cant remember. South and Central Texas has so many drifting events its rad. all of them are skid pads though except the Houston Police Department events.
    Lone star runs at TMS as well

My Cars
    98 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    Lone star runs at TMS as well
    you have to have a cage though.

not sure if the open drifting needs a cage, but for comp you cant use the newer car no cage needed rule.

My Cars
    1985 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomHero27 View Post
    I plan on coming down for one TXSL event. I applied for some jobs out there so I'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by BryceMotch View Post
    I remember seeing that video on Facebook lol What hydro and shifter did you go with? Still on the 3.3 Diff?
    Stock shifter. ISR performance inline. I need a dual caliper though. The way I have it routed is annoying and it takes me like 3 times the effort of a dual caliper to get it to grab on initiation.

I ran an east10 event Saturday. Hopefully this video works for you guys. It's public on facebook. The track was supposed to be a replica of Meihan but was about twice the size and I ended up being in third gear for the entire track. It was really fun. But not what I was expecting. I'll ad pictures later and I have some helmet cam of this video.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.cotru...56189489304935
    Last edited by Jrcanes55; 03-12-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12