Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E46 twin turbo 5.3 4l80e swap

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebasc300 View Post
    Awesome build, did you ever try to fit the CX racing headers while the 4l80e was installed? If not, do you think they will clear the 4l80e since it's a bit wider than the T56.

Also, did you ever address the oil pan/steering rack issue? if so, what did you end up doing to rectify the problem? thanks
    I never tried to test fit them so im unsure if they would work. They might clear the 4l80 what makes it seem alot wider is the ears but those can always be cut off. How close they would be to the trans pan is something I would question.

For the steering rack what I did was put a washer underneath the mounts. Grinded the rack just alittle and the pan for extra clearance. It's still close but it clears now, if it is still an issue there is room for me to put another one in.

My Cars
    e28 m5 e30 4.4T e36 325
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Well turbos are mounted, will need to relocate abs pump. Everything is really really tight, radiator will need to be moved foward and down some. Headlights won't be sealed as planned originally .The awsome thing about e46 headlights is, I can seal the projector and have two different lens covers. One with a hole one without and swap them out when needed. One turbo is more foward then the other I forgot how the headers sit on the head. But at least I got the halos to turn on lol
    that's a good look

My Cars
    2002 325CI
    any progress bud?

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo4x4 View Post
    any progress bud?
    not yet, should be back on it this month. Once I get the rear end in should start rolling on it again.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 M3 turbo V8, GSXR 600
    this is interesting!

1995 E36 turbo v8

My Cars
    2001 Bmw 740i Sport
    bad ass. subbed
    "lifes good, Be patient"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoyhWzIVKv9GoZcRz7hQesg

My Cars
    e46
    Finally made some sort of progress. Finished up the subframe reinforcment. Bolted up the suspension, diff is almost in just missing the rear mount bolts. brother grinding staked axle nut off to remove them

My Cars
    2000 Bma 323i
    What trans mount did you use..

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceship View Post
    What trans mount did you use..
    I made the cx racing one fit, (suppose to be for a t56) had to move the mounting holes by about 1/2 or so but it worked out

My Cars
    Vipers, e46m
    delete
    Last edited by pMak26; 06-21-2016 at 11:42 AM. Reason: delete

My Cars
    e46
    it's been slow progress, but slowly getting there finally back on the ground and I started working on mocking everything up turbos are a b×tch to clear behind the headlights but it's going to work intercooler was a tight squeeze just like everything else

My Cars
    Z3M 6.2 V8, F30 335d
    Looks great. How are you going to route the air inlets and filters? If it works im tempted with a similar setup in my E36.

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano1712 View Post
    Looks great. How are you going to route the air inlets and filters? If it works im tempted with a similar setup in my E36.
    I'm probably using mesh as a filter, have a separate set of lenses I'm cutting holes in to snap on when at the track or events. There is basically nothing left to the original headlight housing just the front part haha. Might build a seperate bracket to hold projectors but they will be sealed and have a high and low beam so I can still drive it around everywhere.

My Cars
    e46
    Biggest project has probably been the headlights and I can now say, thats done!!! I Need to aim them but that's easy. I ended up drilling holes into the back of the housing and running threaded rod to hold the projector in place.

My Cars
    E46
    Dammmm it bro that is fucken og work right there haha I'm really tempted to boost I got an e46 ls 5.7 t56 running
    Your gunna enjoy it I also have full rear end of an 02 m3 and agk bushings
    Trailing arms diff and subframe
    And it feels real solid haven't reinforced the rear end but the new bushings are flat and there wasn't any damage yet
    I'm not sure if you had your drive shaft done yet but I got mines done really cheap I brought my e46 m3 drive shaft and the other side of the t56
    And they basically used my center shaft bearing still and cut n mesured n welded the t56 yolk to the other side and balanced it and so far the rear end of the car feels great n controls great even tho I haven't dialed in the suspension and brakes yet but anyways they charged me around 230 dollars and was done in two days not bad but I brought my own parts here's there info maybe they can help you out they have great reviews also +1 (562) 698-0224 http://www.driveshaftpro.com/whittier

And that car is a beast bro my next project is twins inspired by this crazy monster

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Runla View Post
    Dammmm it bro that is fucken og work right there haha I'm really tempted to boost I got an e46 ls 5.7 t56 running
    Your gunna enjoy it I also have full rear end of an 02 m3 and agk bushings
    Trailing arms diff and subframe
    And it feels real solid haven't reinforced the rear end but the new bushings are flat and there wasn't any damage yet
    I'm not sure if you had your drive shaft done yet but I got mines done really cheap I brought my e46 m3 drive shaft and the other side of the t56
    And they basically used my center shaft bearing still and cut n mesured n welded the t56 yolk to the other side and balanced it and so far the rear end of the car feels great n controls great even tho I haven't dialed in the suspension and brakes yet but anyways they charged me around 230 dollars and was done in two days not bad but I brought my own parts here's there info maybe they can help you out they have great reviews also +1 (562) 698-0224 http://www.driveshaftpro.com/whittier

And that car is a beast bro my next project is twins inspired by this crazy monster
    Thanks really appreciate it, been alot of work trying to make it work but finally last night I got everything tightened up. Headers were being held by two bolts for mock up. Painted the other turbo I'll post pictures later of clearance on everything from the drain and feed. I ended up reinforcing the rear while it was out since I had access to a welder and it was on a lift. There wasn't any tears in subframe everything looked good. I thought about doing the same thing with the driveshaft that you did but I saw a couple pictures floating around with high hp m3s twisting them up. I think ima fork up the money for one in case down the road I decide to turn up the boost (and that might be the case lol) it's one less issue.

My Cars
    e46
    And some pics to show just how tight fitting everything really is oil line for feed from the rear of the block to the front starting to look alittle cleaner, need to buy ls1 alternator and power steering pump now And just testing the headlights out with the headlight in this is the clearance from turbo to it

My Cars
    E46
    Ima gunna have to hit you up when I go twins to specify some fittings cuz I too wanted to buy those same headers cuz the cx racing ones were around 500 oppose to those like 150 I think and who wouldn't wana boost lol but yea
    Great work thaniel can hook up your gauges if you haven't thought about that I'm supposed to send him my payment I bin spending money everywhere race car comes second to last lol I'll take some pics of my set up post them up tomorrow or so tomorrow I'm putting new inner n outtwr tie rods and m3 rack n pinion so let's see how it feels with power steering
    But man this car is a beast I can only imagine twins I'm thinking of going same route 5.3 n boost it and my bro has an fd just ls swap that !! Keep them pictures and updates coming bro keep them. Coming keep you motivated for the viewers and your self lol I wana see that thing are you in the east coast or west ?

My Cars
    E46
    I'm aiming to do this also but maybe a single turbo
    How much they charge you to make you those headers fit the way you wanted them

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by Runla View Post
    I'm aiming to do this also but maybe a single turbo
    How much they charge you to make you those headers fit the way you wanted them
    I'm in Texas houston to be exact. I didn't get charged to cut them down, shop down the road did me the favor. Twins has been a struggle at times I have been tempted to go the single route, but everything is finally coming togheter. I should have everything mostly tightened up this weekend motor wise I'll have power steering lines left and going to need to get wastegates and downpipes made.

My Cars
    e46
    It was getting dark last night when I got a chance to work on it for alittle while. Left side turbo drain right side drain had to get a 45 fitting to clear the tensioner I finally found a solution to removing the expansion tank. Inline radiator fill with a civic overflow tank, it is small and will fit around the electric fan still need a power steering pump and I mounted the alternator yet another really tight fitment

My Cars
    e46
    I got the fuel pump wired in ran it from bmw relay pin, couldn't find any info on a e46 how anyone else did it. Service loop and zip tie in back. Ran it thru the firewall into the fuse box relay got a power steering pump waiting on the resaviour and need to make power steering hoses anybody have any info on that?

Mounted vaccum block here drilled holes , L brackets and clips with screws
    and

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    If I see an e46 with blue wheels near me I'm scooting over to the slow lane... im Katy
    Nice work btw!

For my stock type ls build.. I used the factory relay just re pinned the terminals..
    Last edited by modular93fox; 08-27-2016 at 10:57 PM.
    2003 X5 4.6is - for sale
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress - for sale
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff - for sale
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped
    www.87chevy.com

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Hey guys. I'm in Houston by the galleria and in the middle of an LS swap on my E36 M3. I'm happy help out if you ever need. Just shoot me a PM. Larry

My Cars
    e46
    Quote Originally Posted by BigL350 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm in Houston by the galleria and in the middle of an LS swap on my E36 M3. I'm happy help out if you ever need. Just shoot me a PM. Larry
    Thanks Larry, same here just give me a shout. Maybe when we're all done we can terrorize the streets haha

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast