Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Big block i6 e39

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW
    These things happen when you are on a project keep at it you're almost done. Can't wait to see the finished result and the vids of this thing tearing the tarmac off the road with all that torque. Let me know when you're ready to start mine. Lol

My Cars
    E39 528i

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/boTryT-jkBE

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Looking good! I love the exhaust note. Well done.

My Cars
    Canada
    wow. amazing skills.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Excellent!!! Sounds great too.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Still many little jobs and lots of testing to do. Looks like my e39 only had canbus between the engine and Trans computers from factory 😕 i was planning to integrate my ecu into the canbus to supply the dash and use the wheel speed sensors from the ABS. But I'm just really happy that it drive under it's own power 😊

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    If the E39 dash expects analog signals to the dash, it's easy enough to do that from the Megasquirt if you have enough spare I/O, that's what I did with my E36. I traced which wires corresponded to the oil pressure light and check engine light and hooked those to outputs on the Megasquirt. The new MS firmware has an adjustable tach output which is great, and since the E36 speedo is driven by the rear diff, I didn't have to change anything there.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    I can wire up the inputs to the dash no problems but I more just wanted to play with the canbus and it would have been easier. I have seen people on other conversions re coding their dash to use physical inputs instead of canbus, perhaps i can do the opposite and change it to canbus? Possibly the same for the abs module? I'll have to look into it because i don't have much knowledge in this area yet

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    It seems like something like this would be ideal - it could take canbus data from the Megasquirt and convert it into analog and digital outputs in the Arduino to run the dashboard.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Picked up the leads so i have a full set of 6 again. Coils didn't arrive again but better be here tomorrow so i can play on the weekend! Got some little thermo fans for the front side of the radiator and should fit one larger one on the back side with some shrouding. See how the stock radiator goes. I do have a multiple core aluminum one here but don't want to make it fit if it's not necessary.

My Cars
    Soon
    One of if not the best build thread I've ever read! Get more videos when everything is running

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! It's a 4 day weekend for me for Australia day so I plan to make some good progress over the next few days and I'll be sure to keep the pictures and hopefully videos coming. Also, if anyone had any questions feel free to ask, I know I haven't been super technical or explained much in this thread.

My coils haven't arrived today so looks like I'll have to wait until atleast Wednesday for them to arrive which is a shame. My little thermo fans did arrive however and i picked up some big ones a few days ago so I'll attempt to fit and shroud them over the weekend, make a bracket for the shifter cable to the Trans, Fill the radiator with water so i can run it for over 20 seconds and a whole list of other things.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Today I did some wiring of the megasquirt and megashift and found I'd left a diode and a jumper out so I fixed that little mistake. The main wiring is almost complete despite how unfinished and messy it may look in the pictures. Installed a tee piece I quickly knocked up after work on Friday and attached the factory expansion tank and filled it with water. I don't want to run it until I install the wide band and calibrate the oil pressure sensor properly. Also made a bracket and mounted the shifter cable so it's all operational now. Slowly ticking items off the list, can't wait to drive it!

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Managed to find a few hours to get a bit done on the car. Mainly some wiring and testing. I haven't got the auto operating correctly yet. Also realised when I was doing a small test drive that my fuel table switching wasn't working after I played with the flex fuel integration so I couldn't hit boost hardly. I checked all my transmission wiring and tested the outputs were operating correctly. I've found a few discrepancies with the Ford transmission service manual to do with the solenoid strategy. My coils also arrived on Monday and are installed but not mounted. Going to tidy up the wiring once everything is operating properly. I should probably begin making the rest of the exhaust before my neighbors get too grumpy also. .. I received an 8 channel thermocouple module too which I ordered with the coils so eventually I'll end up with individual cylinder Temps. I've also been having trouble with the megasquirt to megashift canbus. It's quite annoying. Every time there is a change made that requires a power cycle or if anything is changed offline and loaded overt canbus it corrupts the firmware and I have to re load it and load the tune over serial. Hopefully in about a week I'll be ready to dyno and hopefully hit my target of 300whp. It's getting close to happy times 😊

Boost solenoid

More braid

Little test drive in 3rd gear. Sadly no boost 😢

https://youtu.be/eZYd05ecn4U

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Sounds mean!!

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    300hp? Surely you mean 300+ kw?

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    300hp? Surely you mean 300hp/cylinder?
    Slight correction.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Supercharged
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Slight correction.
    lol that might be a little high

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Made no progress on the Electrical side of things but instead decided to get down on my back and start getting the fumes towards the rear of the car and the noise level slightly lower. I realised I didn't have as much 3" stainless as I had thought so I'll need to get some more. I did manage to get the exhaust back to the fuel tank and it sounds good. With another 2 largish mufflers at the rear it should be acceptable.

I did get a little excited and went for a little drive too. I did fix the table switching issue before I went this time

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/epgS7D4aIQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, again this was only in 3rd gear because i haven't perfected the TCM

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Awesome. Sounds like a successful test drive based in your passengers reaction! :-) The car sounds great, very much like a Supra. Well done!

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    That sounds great now that you can really open it up (in third)! Can't wait to see more vids once you have the tcm figured out

My Cars
    E39 528i
    A few people have said the video wasn't working so I'll put another link.

https://youtu.be/epgS7D4aIQ4

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Oh wow, that sounds beautiful. I got a stiffy. Can't wait to see more

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Always great when you make your passengers scream!

And get those part throttle low-rpms tuned!

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Ah don't worry I'll be tuning it soon. I do all my own tuning, the lean conditions you see are mainly from the mechanical fuel pump flowing less at low rpm. It will be sorted asap

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast