Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Big block i6 e39

My Cars
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO
    This is one of the greatest and most UNUSUAL swap i have seen ,, stunning skills and top work,,,
    Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
    ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
    ULTIMA Evolution
    Contacts
    http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Managed to make a giant lobster and some rough looking 5" to twin 3" thing for my exhaust. It's one of those things that looks better in real life. Should work alright never the less.

I drew the lobster back on solidworks, converted it into sheetmetaland then made a flat pattern. Printed that off and wrapped around the pipe, tracing around the outline. It's how I do almost all of my pipe joins for exhausts or turbo manifolds etc. Simple and effective.

Voilà! I've never really liked lobster back bends, but this one seemed necessary. It's a compound bend and a tighter radius than is available to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Beautiful. I need to learn to TIG.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    That second last pic looks mean. It's got scary looking eyes.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Made a test dry sump line from electrical conduit, then bent up the aluminum version for the oil feed to the pump. Still need to make the return line but I don't have the correct die for the bender :-( I previously made an insert which fits into the 1.5" die so I could bend 1.25" tube, however it decided not to work today so I'm still thinking about how to go about it. Also machined part 1 of the alternator bracket. Will also incorporate the A/C compressor on the same bracket and belt.

Conduit template

Aluminum version

Making the alternator bracket

Finished part 1

Will only have one long bolt, didn't have one long enough yet.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Very cool...really interested in how you will control the 6r80? There is a lot of interest in using this unit, but are told it is tied to the engine of ecu. Do you have an independent controller for it?

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Unfortunately haven't got much done over the last week :-( I have an international guest staying so I've been otherwise occupied. Welded up the dump pipe and wastegate pipes completely and installed them. Might need to undo the dump pipe again to wrap it when the wrap arrives. Also started on the alternator bracket again.

As for controlling the 6r80, I have a megashift tcu which I originally built to control a 4l80 but after much research I believe I can make it work for the 6r80. The 6r80 which came in the Ford Territory has an external tcu instead of the inbuilt mechatronic unit found in most 6r80's.

Alternator bracket in the making

Exhaust

My Cars
    E39 528i

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Is it done yet?

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Managed to make some more of the alternator bracket. Hopefully it fits... Still need to make another section to mount the A/C compressor yet and probably some sort of idler wheel too. Installed the tailshaft today, just waiting on a few more bolts for the transmission end, the original ones are far too long for the new billet flange. Hoping to have the macanical side of things all finished very shortly. Still a bit of work ahead with running fuel lines etc. Then onto the electrical. Already made a loom for the engine, just need to integrate it into the car. Leaving the transmission control until last because I think I'll need to concentrate 100% on it.

My Cars
    1993 M5
    why did you chose the nissan r230 dif over the

large case e39 m5 diff you could have used?..

Thanks Jrod

My Cars
    Looking for a BMW
    Is this all the gear you were installing into your Celsior? If so, what happened to that car as you seem fairly advanced with that build? Loving this by the way, killer build.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    I used the R230 diff because I had one and I had a set of axles etc that I thought I could make work. In hindsight I would use an m5 diff for sure. This diff ended up costing a fair bit of money with all the cv's and axles I had to buy, the steel and bolts etc, and it was a huge amount of work.

Yeah it's the engine that I had in the celsior. I still have that car, it's not going to waste. The celsior was being built as a race car but it really didn't fit any class to race it in, I had no room to work on it at my old place and I lost interest and wanted something comfy that I could drive on the street. Not sure what engine etc will go into that, but it will be after my shed is built

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What are your power goals with this engine?

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Well it seems like the alternator bracket is a great success :-) It fits and the belt even lines up perfectly when I checked it with a straight edge. Going to need some heat shielding for sure, not ideal having things on the hot side but the dry sump takes up all the real estate on the other side. Time to start on the A/C bracket so I can cruise in comfort...

As for power, it should make 300whp I'd think

My Cars
    1988 BMW 527i Sedan
    Those are some serious fabrication skills, where do I sign up as an intern?

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorpatrol View Post
    As for power, it should make 300whp I'd think
    At idle...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
    At idle...

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Well I kinda finished the A/C compressor bracket this morning. Then as I packed up my laptop I realised I'd made a mistake. I moved the holes in the bracket so the counter bored holes worked better in the material I had without thinking of the consequences. Luckily I picked it up and I think I'll just say that the bracket is adjustable with selective shims ;-) Just some idler pulleys to finish it off now.

The beginning

Better make it flat and shiny

Part 3

And part 4 begins...

And with selective shims installed...

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    "As for controlling the 6r80, I have a megashift tcu which I originally built to control a 4l80 but after much research I believe I can make it work for the 6r80. The 6r80 which came in the Ford Territory has an external tcu instead of the inbuilt mechatronic unit found in most 6r80's. "

​This is very interesting. I look forward to hearing more about this. There are a lot of Ford 5.0 coyote swaps going on, but no one has figured out an easy way to use the 6 spd. Auto Trans due to the anti-theft and integration with the engine ECU....

I am interested in such a swap in my old Ford
    Pickup - I would love to find a solution like this. Please keep me informed!

My Cars
    E39 528i
    With the alternator bracket done I managed to get another annoying job out of the way today. Installed the dry sump lines into the car. Currently mounted with cable ties until I make proper mounting devices but certainly good enough to get it running. I don't think there is too much stopping me from running it now. A fuel system would help now I think of it and some lines from the auto to the trans cooler. Then a touch of wiring and a lot of crossed fingers. Also my trusty Chinese tig which has served me so well over the last 5 years has decided that it will no longer have adjustable current but just stay at whatever it was last set at and not even have the decency to display what that current is. I've still managed to weld up the tubes with it but not without frustration.

How the hell do I get this in...

Ahh like that

It even fits!

And connected

The rear end

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I like those high quality clamps you've got there.

- - - Updated - - -

It really surprises me how that big block I6 engine is able to fit in that chassis.

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Ah the Wiggins clam shell fittings are great! So easy to use and they allow me to make a mess much quicker than the normal AN threaded fittings. Plus they have + or - 4 degrees of articulation. Only bad side is that you need to refinance the house to afford them.

As for fitting the engine in... I have clearances that I could measure with a feeler guage! I'm not sure on the exact Measurements but I remember comparing it to a 2jz and also the engine that was in this car originally and it was along the lines of 130mm longer and 110mm taller. It doesn't seem to show in the pictures though

My Cars
    E39 528i
    The final piece for the alternator /ac job. Little offset mount for an idler pulley

My Cars
    E39 528i
    Not lots to report unfortunately. Have been busy at work but finally have a few days off coming up where i intend to run the fuel lines and discover what fittings I've forgotten to buy. I've mainly been working in the transmission control and can hopefully begin all the wiring for the whole car very soon. Other than that i modified my surge tank and got a few heater hoses

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast