Thread: Burnt headlight lens…both sides

My Cars
    '02 330i

Burnt headlight lens…both sides

…both driver and passenger sides. (Just bought the car, and noticed the driver side burn, but not the passenger). Must be plastic lenses and they just get too hot, what, over time? As they get old and more brittle? What the heck is that all about? And what the heck is the best remedy without spending $2000? I've looked at the headlight threads but where does one begin? (So many questions!)

Who has a very practical, no nonsense, straight-forward, inexpensive, easy-to-do, peer-supported, elegant, beautiful, green, low carbon footprint, less-than-twenty dollar remedy? (I'm losing it a bit; spending too much time looking at forum threads).

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Can you put up pics so we can see the damage? Burning suggests that the lights are over-wattage and getting too hot. From your post I assume you are talking about the inner lenses, rather than the front cover?

The normal problem with the headlights is that the front cover gets cloudy which is easily remedied with something like this, which I have had great results with:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight...estoration+kit

My Cars
    1999 2.8 Z3 Coupe
    i've seen cracked lens-covers before...best time to kick them out and upgrade to fx3.0r projectors ;-)

My Cars
    '99 Z3MC, '07 Z4 3.0si
    The 2000+ have plastic lenses with chrome surrounds. <=1999 models have glass lenses. I've seen small burn marks on the high as well as low beams. These are from the OEM bulbs. Unfortunately, there is no easy solution to this. To replace just that component, you'd need to open up the headlight--even their internals are in high demand.

+1 on dawnth's comment. This forum has a nice community that's done a lot of retrofits (get in touch with sky1z3).

My Cars
    z3
    There is no under $20 remedy unless you can find new lenses for that price. But you also shouldn't spend $2000 - decent condition used headlights can be found <$500, just make sure the new ones dont have burn marks too. But the only real fix is to replace the headlights or lenses. Lenses can be found separate from headlights sometimes but if you want an immediate fix, get some used headlights that dont already have the problem.

It happens from heat, the problem will be greatly exacerbated if non-OEM bulbs are put in place of the OEM bulbs (particularly bad with HIDs thrown in without proper projectors).

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2010 128i convertible
    Hi Folks,

Maybe not applicable in this case, but for those of you who have cloudy headlight lenses, there's a product called Wipe New (wal-mart for about $10) that works great! I used it on my neighbors hyundai which had really cloudy lenses. Made them look brand new.
    They were really bad, so I wet sanded them first with 2000 grit paper (which was really scary), but after wiping with the chemical cloth in the kit, the results were amazing.

Cheers!
    Craig

My Cars
    z3
    I believe he is talking about burnt inner lenses, not foggy outer lenses...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '02 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Yep, burnt inner lenses, as Bimmer Breaker has illustrated; not the covers. Nice photo, by the way. In fact, those look just as mine do, so it's a relatively common problem. Considering that, I think a more permanent fix is appropriate: Projectors. I'll start looking around (more forum time…)

My Cars
    '02 330i
    Yes, burnt lenses...BimmerBreaker, all, has anyone replaced just the lenses? I'm thinking that it might be possible, and not too much of a pain, to find some flat-faced glass headlights and cut them to the size of the Z3 lenses and pop them in place (so to say). Anyone with experience in this area?

My Cars
    z3
    The lenses are sort of clipped into place. I imagine it'd be very hard to get them to hold in place if replaced with plain glass. You might be fine to remove them completely if your plan is to replace them with flat glass.

I've taken my burnt lenses and trimmed them to fit projectors through using SkyZ brackets. The hole cut was just large enough to remove all the browning. That'd be my recomendation. Its not exactly a cheap mod, but it makes a huge difference as far as drivability of the car goes.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '02 330i
    The lenses are sort of clipped into place. I imagine it'd be very hard to get them to hold in place if replaced with plain glass. You might be fine to remove them completely if your plan is to replace them with flat glass.

I've taken my burnt lenses and trimmed them to fit projectors through using SkyZ brackets. The hole cut was just large enough to remove all the browning. That'd be my recomendation. Its not exactly a cheap mod, but it makes a huge difference as far as drivability of the car goes.
    Thanks, I've contacted Skylar. I've looked at some posts with the Skylar bracket DIY and it looks great.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    You have another "replacement" option. You could find a set of -99 lenses and swap them. I think I have a set in the garage. It would still require baking the headlight open and replacing the inner lenses. Unfortunately for this you have to break both joints in the headlight to swap them. The 00+ lenses install from the lens side to the middle section. The -99 lenses install from the headlight bowl side with metal clips. (okay idea if you don't mind losing the chrome rings)

You can also find a set of replacement chromes that don't have the burnt marks but they are likely to "melt/burn" again in the future. (bad idea)

Or as others have suggested you jump headfirst into the deep end and go with a full Projector retrofit. (suggested)
    Last edited by robb1887; 11-18-2015 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    E30 v8, Z3 coupe
    I need to double check my car cause I have a 1999 and it has crack inner lenses too.

My Cars
    see my signature
    If you were to replace the lenses, or drill out the burnt areas, what (normal Halogen) bulbs should you be using to avoid the problem in the first place? Say I just found a brand new time capsule vacuum sealed 2000 M Coupe with 0 miles on it; what readily available bulbs today should you use in place of the OEM burners?
    2006 R53 JCW (British Racing Green) - 1994 E31 840Ci 6spd (AVUS Blue)
    2021 F56 JCW (Rebel Green) - 2000 E38 740i Sport (Titanium Silver)
    2017 F26 X4 M40i (Carbon Black) - 2007 E91 328iT (Deep Green)
    2012 E82 135i M Sport (Marrakesh Brown) - 2015 E84 X1 (Cashmere Silver)
    2005 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Kalahari Beige) - 2000 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2000 E38 740i Sport (Oxford Green) - 1999 E36 M3 Coupe (Fern Green)
    1995 E31 840Ci Canadian (Oxford Green) - 2000 E36/8 M Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2004 E46 330Ci (Oxford Green) - 2001 E36/8 Z3 3.0i Coupe (Oxford Green)
    2002 E39 525i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2002 E36/7 M Roadster (Oxford Green)
    2001 E53 X5 3.0i Sport (Oxford Green) - 2007 E63 M6 (Silver Grey)
    1995 E31 840Ci (Oxford Green) - 2006 E86 M Coupe (Sepang Bronze)
    2001 E39 530i Sport (Aspen Silver) - 2009 E92 M3 (Space Grey)
    2001 E38 740i Sport (Sahara Beige) - 2008 E92 M3 (Melbourne Red)
    2000 E38 740i Sport Canadian (Sahara Beige) - 1997 E31 850Ci (Jet Black)

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I got some lenses. Who wants them?
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 MCoupe
    I'll take them.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I have the internals from a brand new set of headlights that I bought new from BMW and then installed the original Projector Z setup about a decade ago.

I also have one clear left turn signal that goes inside the headlight. No idea where that came from.

I am selling the lenses and reflectors together.

PM me your cell phone number and I will text pictures.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    I have the internals from a brand new set of headlights that I bought new from BMW and then installed the original Projector Z setup about a decade ago.

I also have one clear left turn signal that goes inside the headlight. No idea where that came from.

I am selling the lenses and reflectors together.

PM me your cell phone number and I will text pictures.
    Not to be completely be off topic here, but mpire, would you happen to have a driver side front marker (the one in the bumper) laying around? Amber. Just the exterior amber piece; not the socket itself. One of those things that I need to do eventually (one of the corners is gone), but not very high on the list.
    Last edited by Bladecatcher; 08-09-2017 at 02:38 PM.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
    Not to be completely be off topic here, but mpire, would you happen to have a driver side front marker (the one in the bumper) laying around? Amber. Just the exterior amber piece; not the socket itself. One of those things that I need to do eventually (one of the corners is gone), but not very high on the list.
    I probably do, I am working on building a proper inventory at the moment because I have no clue about most of the little stuff. I probably have a couple cars in there worth of parts.

If you just want the orange ones, they are only a few bucks on fleabay for knock offs and they are about the same as OEM.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    '10 GTI / '98 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    I probably do, I am working on building a proper inventory at the moment because I have no clue about most of the little stuff. I probably have a couple cars in there worth of parts.

If you just want the orange ones, they are only a few bucks on fleabay for knock offs and they are about the same as OEM.
    Good to know. Thanks!