Thread: New front gasket and it still leaks

My Cars
    1999 M3C

New front gasket and it still leaks

Help or recommendations, please. 99 M3 fully auto, had the top replaced due to age. Also had to replace tonneau/deck motor; did that myself. Before the new top only got a couple drops of water at each A post during heavy rain. Since new top (from reputable business) I now have an expensive bowl. Water poured into the car from both A posts. Bought new OEM front gasket/seal and had them install it. Wasn't leaking while sitting on their lot (car was parked level). Picked it up last night and now passenger side seems fine but still getting water in from driver side A post. Not pouring in, but leaking bad enough to soak seat and splash on the door panel. Car is not parked exactly level from side to side at home.

Talked to owner this morning and he says sometimes the front latches twist or just aren't as tight as they should be and don't hold the top as tight as it should be. The top looks like it is closed evenly across the windshield. Has anyone heard of this or have any suggestions?? Don't want to dump good money after bad, but this is getting frustrating.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    The locks can be adjusted by turning a set screw under the header cover to pull the header tighter to the car.
    You can also move the entire top assembly closer to the front of the car by removing the shims between the assembly and the body.

Both pull the top assembly tighter but it's not an exact science.

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    There are also two rubber pads which is an official BMW fix - they sit behind the rubber door/a pillar gasket, and push against the roof creating a better seal

Part numbers
    54318158579 and 54318158580 for left and right

My Cars
    1998 328i convertible (71k miles)
    anyone have pictures of the official fix installed ?

My Cars
    E36 323i Schwarz 2 , E3

My Cars
    E21 320i, 300CE
    in addition to what the guys mentioned you can buy a seal that looks like this from http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ and search for SRS1706

Passenger side.jpgSRS1706big.jpg

here is a link http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...eading-t27577/

i bought the seals and waiting for them to be delivered. you might be able to find something similar here in USA too but not sure where.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Convertible
    Hotrod30014
    Hotrod30014,
    Did you resolve this issue yet? I am having the same issue after having a new top installed.

My Cars
    E39, E36, E24
    Same issue for me. '95 conv. Ordered the gummis. Can't do seats until this damned leak gets fixed.
    Empty the shop. Fill it up. ...

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    I have been using a towel on each front seat corner when I have my hardtop installed. My soft top does not leak. Anyone want to buy a hardtop?
    Last edited by toplessinokc; 01-01-2016 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    96 328is, 98 323ic
    Quote Originally Posted by toplessinokc View Post
    I have been using a towel on each front seat corner when I have my hardtop installed. My soft top does not leak. Anyone want to buy a hardtop?

Hey do you still have that hardtop for sale ??

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    Yes, Still have it, and still use the towels on each of the front seats to catch the drip during a hard rain. It is kind of funny really, a hard top that leaks more than the soft top. O well. Would you like to purchase a hard top?

My Cars
    99 Techno Violet M3 Conv
    I know I’m resurrecting a very old thread but figured my fix might be helpful.

A new gasket seal is now up to a whopping $1,300 so that was not an option, so I jokingly said to someone that I’m just going to duct tape the seal. When I thought about that, I realized that I could use paint protection film as it is removable. So I ordered a strip 3”x60” 3M film from eBay, cut it to fit and installed it. It seems to be doing the trick and will help me get through the winter and until I can address the non working soft top.

I hope this helps.

My Cars
    E46 wag. E36 convertible
    Yup, mine was just to put a Harbor Freight 8X10 silver tarp on, for now anyway! E36 tops seem to leak, I bet most do! Solving leak issues with these E36 may require unorthodox methods. When I looked to see where leaks may be coming from I noticed at each folding frames a rubber seal made from full top down compression, yet 2 of these folding frames did not compress the rubber seals. Other areas were behind the rear windows where the metal tonou cover closes. A probable reason why the trunk compartment has water. Other areas that collect water are the rear foot wells that eventually migrate forward.. under the 1 inch thick foam padded carpets. Many Convertibles LEAK! And they all smell inside the same! I drive mine on sunny days and on rainy days I'll put the tarp on it!

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesail View Post
    Yup, mine was just to put a Harbor Freight 8X10 silver tarp on, for now anyway! E36 tops seem to leak, I bet most do! Solving leak issues with these E36 may require unorthodox methods. When I looked to see where leaks may be coming from I noticed at each folding frames a rubber seal made from full top down compression, yet 2 of these folding frames did not compress the rubber seals. Other areas were behind the rear windows where the metal tonou cover closes. A probable reason why the trunk compartment has water. Other areas that collect water are the rear foot wells that eventually migrate forward.. under the 1 inch thick foam padded carpets. Many Convertibles LEAK! And they all smell inside the same! I drive mine on sunny days and on rainy days I'll put the tarp on it!

My '94 never leaked. I think your statement that many of them leak is unfounded. I've been on this forum for going on 20 years and I have not heard of "many" leaking. Indeed, this is one of the few and it's resurrected after 5 years of inactivity. AND, none of the places you are talking about are leaking for the OP.

I found that putting my car in the garage and not taking it out in the rain solves all of the leaks, but this does not address the lack of leaks when I wash it.

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by zeezo85 View Post
    in addition to what the guys mentioned you can buy a seal that looks like this from http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/ and search for SRS1706

Passenger side.jpgSRS1706big.jpg

here is a link http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...eading-t27577/

i bought the seals and waiting for them to be delivered. you might be able to find something similar here in USA too but not sure where.
    Is there any more pictures of how to fit these out there? The original post no longer has its pictures up and now im stuck with a seal and no way to fix it.