Thread: Muffler Delete with Vibrant 1331 tips

My Cars
    1995 740i, 1983 633csi

Muffler Delete with Vibrant 1331 tips

After listening to several youtube videos of muffler deletes, I determined this had to be my first mod. Ordered the larger 3.5" tips and paid a local shop to delete the mufflers for $75 a side.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! The muffler delete is awesome. It actually is quieter than I expected, but it makes some nice noise when you step on it but still allows you to drive quiet if rolling through your neighborhood, etc. There has been several negative side affects though:

1. I now always drive with my windows down - even though its winter. That's what heated seats and the blower on high is for right?
    2. I now get around 12 mpg ALL THE TIME.
    3. I now rev on all downshifts and at red lights. Every car is a potential race.

The car simply makes a beautiful sound. Its the perfect compromise. I would recommend it to anyone. I attached pictures of the larger pipes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Any drone at all at low speeds?

My Cars
    08 550i, 03 M5
    I just bought mine with no mufflers, it sounds mean and turns heads everywhere. I still get 18-19 if I'm driving as usual, not sure how the delete would decrease fuel efficiency but possible I guess. Nice looking M!

My Cars
    1995 740i, 1983 633csi
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Any drone at all at low speeds?
    Everyone defines drone differently. I have a Mini Cooper JCW with the resonator removed and it drones at ALL speeds. I enjoy driving it but you can hardly carry on a conversation. This is not the case with the M5. Yes, you can hear some engine noise at certain speeds. I don't really define that as a drone. Is it annoying? Not in the least. The interior of the M5 is well insulated and you can drive the car with very little engine noise if you make the effort. Now, if you step on the gas, yes you can hear the engine. If you stomp the gas, you can really hear the engine. That is the point of the muffler delete. If you don't want any noise, then I wouldn't recommend the mod. Again, to me, it was quieter than I expected - maybe because I am used to a perpetually noisy Mini Cooper.

I have run the car at low speeds and high speeds. The noise level is very very minimal if just cruising. It has no impact on your passengers, music or anything really. Put it this way - I can hear more wind noise or tire noise than engine noise if I drive the car conservatively.

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    Where did you buy the tips?
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    1995 740i, 1983 633csi
    Quote Originally Posted by jdauria View Post
    Where did you buy the tips?
    Amazon for $55 a side.

My Cars
    E39 M5 - E46 330Ci
    Thanks for sharing this! Getting this done im the morning.

Had me dying, "every car is a potential race"

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    Quote Originally Posted by fastrack1 View Post
    After listening to several youtube videos of muffler deletes, I determined this had to be my first mod. Ordered the larger 3.5" tips and paid a local shop to delete the mufflers for $75 a side.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! The muffler delete is awesome. It actually is quieter than I expected, but it makes some nice noise when you step on it but still allows you to drive quiet if rolling through your neighborhood, etc. There has been several negative side affects though:

1. I now always drive with my windows down - even though its winter. That's what heated seats and the blower on high is for right?
    3. I now rev on all downshifts and at red lights. Every car is a potential race.

The car simply makes a beautiful sound. Its the perfect compromise. I would recommend it to anyone. I attached pictures of the larger pipes.
    Little concerned about your 12 mpg. Your muffler delete should not have caused this.

My Cars
    1995 740i, 1983 633csi
    Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Little concerned about your 12 mpg. Your muffler delete should not have caused this.
    I simply meant because I now drive like a bat outa hell so I can listen to the sound I was just a joke.

My Cars
    2003 Convertible Hardtop
    I simply meant because I now drive like a bat outa hell so I can listen to the sound I was just a joke.
    Oh OK, lol...

My Cars
    2013 X5M
    I did the mufflers delete on my M5 recently as well.

BEST SIMPLE MOD EVER!!! Now it growls like it was supposed to from factory

Anyway, this is all relative to different people.

I think it is a great small upgrade to the exhaust on a E39 M5

I bought stainless steel tips from eBay for $35/piece

Local muffler shop charged me $190 to delete the mufflers and install the tips, higher price, but locally not a lot of options.

My Cars
    e39 m5
    What type of lower diffuser is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1988 e28 535is...sold

My Cars
    2013 X5M
    It's a carbon fiber eBay diffuser. was about $200

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Quote Originally Posted by thrty8street View Post
    What type of lower diffuser is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A copy of Exotic Tuning piece.

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Now I want to cut off my mufflers ))
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    99 Mcp, 94 NSX, 87 e30

Which tips did you use, and do you still have the link / amazon order with the info in it?
    Thanks!

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    lol .. Kids ..
    How is this an upgrade? Aside from the weight reduction you're just loud now.. Easier to find and easier to 'wait for' [Police around here tend to perk up when they hear a engine on the cam going bwaaaaaaaa' but if you sneak past them at high speed they don't even wake up..]
    Oh I heard loud gets old faster than old gets loud
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF

Did you do 3.5" pipes to the 3.5" tips? I'm curious...I see 3.5" tips out there with 2.5" inlets.

I plan on doing this mod soon.

Thanks

-Mike

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF
    Well...I ordered the same tips. So let's see how the shop's install goes

My Cars
    00 M5, 12' Ducati SF

Did it a few weeks back Sounds great and boy do those tips match the beast.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Le Nitro; 07-26-2018 at 11:21 PM.