Thread: e39 M5 Virgin!

My Cars
    08 550i, 03 M5

e39 M5 Virgin!

I've had my share of Bimmers. Sold my 06 330i in February and bought an 08 550i in San Francisco. After 6 months, a divorce and many other irrelevant things I've located an impressive 03 M5 and immediately knew I had to have it. Well, I bought it last wk. It has 149k miles, looks and drives great. It has a few mods but the 2nd owner wasn't too sure or positive about what they were, other than what he could see. Here are a few crappy pix (sorry the weather is awful here to keep it clean):

IMG_0497.JPGIMG_0498.JPGIMG_0514.JPG

It has every package available, even the extended leather package. And for the mods, well, from what I can tell combined w/ what the seller told me it has: Afe CAI w/ ports on the front bumper, coil-overs (it looks 1" in the back and .75" in the front lower than stock), muffler delete w/ some kind of off-the-shelf tips, a new sway bar that doesn't corrode??, Evolve programmer with MAF sensors deleted (still not sure what this program does), coated wheels and a Passport laser/radar detected mounted in front bumper and routed to the front panel.

The car has insane amount of power and sounds incredible but can't tell if the Evolve, muffler delete and Afe added anything since I've never driven an e39 M5 before. Shifter feels 'short' but it maybe the stock feel.

A few minor items that need to be fixed or maintained: exterior temp sensor (reads -40°C), license plate LEDs (error), missing "MAX" button on the A/C panel, handle broken on glove box, brake light on (guessing it's time for a brake change), oil change coming up and the check engine light is on. Also, it's difficult to put it into Reverse and 6th gear. I usually have to try 3-4 times for Reverse and usually drop it in N instead of 6 on the hwy.

More pix and details soon.
    Last edited by bigturk; 11-01-2015 at 01:10 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nice and congrats. Looks like a carbon black M5. From the pictures it does look like it has a short shift kit. The evolve tune is basically an 'Alpha N tune' which means that you can drive the car with the Maf sensors disconnected (but as long as the intake sensor has been relocated and still functioning) and the DME relies on throttle position only as your engine load. This tune also gives you a more crispier throttle response. I believe it also removes the top speed limiter as well.

The 'brake' light thing, is it showing in red? Or is there an actual warning message about the brake light bulbs? If it's the former, then inspect the brake wear sensor and the brake pads too. It might be time for new brakes. If it is the latter one, then check your brake + taillight bulbs. One of them might be out.

- - - Updated - - -

I should also mention to join the M5Board.com site for more information and support.

My Cars
    08 550i, 03 M5
    Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a reason why reverse is so hard to engage? Also, when I upshift fast, the RPMs drop extremely slowly, Is this because of the tune or Is the clutch messed up? It feels like you have your foot on the paddle half way

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yes, going into reverse is hard so as to avoid accidentally engaging into it when you want to be in first. That's how it is even in the Getrag and in the ZF 5 speed transmissions and especially with this kind of 'H' pattern where usually reverse would be on the far right and down in other cars.

Not sure on the rpm drop when shifting. What's the idling speed? Around 500+ rpm? Have you done a tune up yet?

My Cars
    08 550i, 03 M5
    Haven't done a tune up yet but I don't think it's related. It idles around 750-850. I'll try to explain it: say you're driving normal, shift from 3rd to 4th, nice clean drop in the RPMs.

When I hammer down the pedal, quick shift while the RPM is climbing fast, and gas it again, RPM drops but gradually. It's so hard to describe

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Welcome, that is a nice looking car

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    01 e39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigturk View Post
    When I hammer down the pedal, quick shift while the RPM is climbing fast, and gas it again, RPM drops but gradually. It's so hard to describe
    Is your traction control off?