Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRW Strut Inserts for the E31 Available from FCP Euro

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    But only on a non rusted gland nut. Looks better for the e34 nut application though

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    How does it ride now. I am so sick of the Bilsteins. Had them for 15yrs!!!

My Cars
    BMW 850
    are they to hard?

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    I don't think they will be . Supposed to be more close to stock boge feel

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatandre View Post
    are they to hard?
    These are OE style replacements which will maintain the ride quality that the E31 had when stock.
    Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Free Shipping on $49+, and Hassle-Free Returns.
    FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    Just an FYI on rear shock install at least in my case. They were about 1mm to 2mm to large to fit in the trailing arms.I had no problems with Bilstein or stock fitting previously so it's not my arms. Solved by machining 1mm from each side of bottom shock mounting where through bolt goes threw. Anyone else have this problem?

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Quote Originally Posted by mac840 View Post
    Just an FYI on rear shock install at least in my case. They were about 1mm to 2mm to large to fit in the trailing arms.I had no problems with Bilstein or stock fitting previously so it's not my arms. Solved by machining 1mm from each side of bottom shock mounting where through bolt goes threw. Anyone else have this problem?
    Yup. Used hand grinder to polish down on each side until fit.

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Please report back on ride quality.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    '97 840CI
    ...They were about 1mm to 2mm to large to fit in the trailing arms.I had no problems with Bilstein or stock fitting previously ...
    That right there tells me this was not an engineered application, rather a marketing/sales project, covering a niche with a standard product.

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    Yes hyper of course it was. I will say the ride is very good though

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    I think Mayb fcp euro should add this adjustment to their website along with using the " original gland nut" lol. Like that would ever have survived removal ...

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    I wouldnt call these a "standard" product since TRW manufactures them for the E31 8-series specifically. If you guys are telling me the lower mount on the rear shock absorbers is slightly too small that is a problem. In regards to the fronts not including the gland nut I will see what I can do about that as well.

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    I appreciate your efforts to bring them to the us market. The problem is that they are too large requiring modification . Sourcing and affordable glad nut would much be appreciated as I would order them from you

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Yes, had to use grinder to make them fit in as well.
    Gland nut had to be cut off, I think even if I had used a special tool to try to remove the original gland nut it would not have worked.
    E34 gland nuts work well as a replacements, but they are not cheap!!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 850i 4spd
    I had the same problem. One was over a mm larger. Ended up grinding them, but i obviously grinded a bit too much resulting in a annoying squeak over bumps. Will try to press out OE lower mounts to make the shock a perfect fit. Other than that, they are fine, the ride is satisfying, a good product...

My Cars
    1994 e31, Porsche Macan
    Glad to know about this company and other suspension/steering parts listed in online catalog. Just ordered a set of shocks each for F/R. Installation info and tips in this thread are much appreciated.
    Life's too short to drive boring cars --
    • 1988 M6 (e24) - Zinnoberrot/Pearl Beige (sold )
    • 1994 850 Ci (e31) - Orient Blue Metallic/LtSilverGray
    • 2017 Porsche Macan - Night Blue Metallic

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    I'm still working on the gland nut solution for the front strut inserts guys. Its been complicated. At the moment the shocks and struts are backordered and we're waiting on more to come in (hopefully soon) and I am crossing my fingers that I have a potential cost effective solution for the gland nuts.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Grabbed a set of these TRWs from FCP for my personal car since I was impressed with ride quality after I did the install on the friends 850...
    Went to ecstuning to grab a set of E34 gland nuts, HOLY SMOKES! $75 each now??!! What are they made out of platinum??
    Does anyone have a cheaper alternative? Or a pointer to a better tool to try to remove OE gland nuts with minimal damage?
    On a separate note, TRW has removed these from their online catalog, so pretty sure this is it for these shocks after FCP stock runs out.
    Last edited by dragon850; 05-12-2016 at 12:21 PM.

My Cars
    1994 840i
    All the companies who could make oem like shocks / springs for the e31 are now owned by ZF - Boge , Sachs and TRW. And yet potentially none will be making any.

How annoying.

I have a pair of nuts in very usable condition (that was fun to write ) which I can sell you ( I bought a second hand set but mine came off ok )

My mechanic was going to have a few pairs made by his machine shop. If you want a new pair I can ask for the price and when they would be ready. 50 pounds + shipping is what I paid so you can have mine for that.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Thanks!
    I would prefer new if I bugger mine up, let me see if I am able to remove them without damage this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Zohar View Post
    All the companies who could make oem like shocks / springs for the e31 are now owned by ZF - Boge , Sachs and TRW. And yet potentially none will be making any.

How annoying.

I have a pair of nuts in very usable condition (that was fun to write ) which I can sell you ( I bought a second hand set but mine came off ok )

My mechanic was going to have a few pairs made by his machine shop. If you want a new pair I can ask for the price and when they would be ready. 50 pounds + shipping is what I paid so you can have mine for that.

My Cars
    1994 840i
    A new set here costs 129 pounds. No way I was paying that for two nuts. If you get one off you can have a machine shop make you a pair cheaper.

My Cars
    840ci
    Got the gabs/trw installed 3 weeks ago, stiffness is exactly like stock. Kinda wish they were a tad stiffer though, but easy installation and no shaving of the rear shock due to fitment issues.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by e31bev View Post
    Got the gabs/trw installed 3 weeks ago, stiffness is exactly like stock. Kinda wish they were a tad stiffer though, but easy installation and no shaving of the rear shock due to fitment issues.
    Huh..I guess it was just a bad batch! Well this is good news, that means I won't have to grind my set hopefully...
    I felt TRW were a bit stiffer compared to stock, but those stock shocks may have been more worn...
    Last edited by dragon850; 05-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.

My Cars
    1994 840i
    Same here. Had front and rear done and happy with the result. No grinding was required.
    My rear shocks were dead.
    See the one on the left. Totally busted.

My Cars
    840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Huh..I guess it was just a bad batch! Well this is good news, that means I won't have to grind my set hopefully...
    I felt TRW were a bit stiffer compared to stock, but those stock shocks may have been more worn...
    When I installed the rear, at first I had a little bit of trouble fitting the bottom in too, but you have have to play around with the hydraulic jack until you can line up the hole.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast