Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRW Strut Inserts for the E31 Available from FCP Euro

My Cars
    BMW Everything

TRW Strut Inserts for the E31 Available from FCP Euro

Hey guys,

We had an overseas shipment finally arrive to our distribution center yesterday morning. In this shipment we received 9 sets of TRW front strut inserts for the E31 8-series. As I'm sure some of you are aware, the full strut assemblies for the E31 are basically impossible to come by. TRW sells these inserts heavily in the European market but they are difficult to come by in the United States. These inserts work on all E31's and are a much more cost effective solution when compared to

More information on this strut cartridge set available here at FCP Euro

We also have 9 sets of the rear TRW shock absorbers in stock as well for the E31:

More information on this TRW rear shock set available here at FCP Euro.

If anyone has an questions on these please feel free to comment here, PM me, or contact me directly at gareth@fcpeuro.com.
    Last edited by shogun; 10-28-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Free Shipping on $49+, and Hassle-Free Returns.
    FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Very interesting, will this fit front strut tower without any mods??

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are these TRW shocks re-branded Gabriels? TRW purchased Gabriel several years ago.

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Very interesting, will this fit front strut tower without any mods??

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are these TRW shocks re-branded Gabriels? TRW purchased Gabriel several years ago.
    Good question. Yes, this would be a direct fit with no modification required to the strut tubes. These inserts come with a spacer that works with the factory gland nut. The key to installing the front strut cartridges is they require the factory gland nut. When removing the the gland nut just make sure not to butcher it up too badly.

In regards to these being re branded Gabriel's; I'm honestly not sure. I know that TRW did acquire Gabriel in 2010/2011. It's completely possible that TRW is manufacturing for themselves and Gabriel in this case. I went to Gabriels website and used their tech catalog. The design looks similar, twin tube gas style insert with the adapter plate for install.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the orders guys!!!

Looks like we currently have 5 sets of the front inserts in stock and 5 sets of the shock absorbers in stock!

My Cars
    E82, E71, 1996 318ti M
    Considering a purchase ... Would these be ok to use on a lowered car? Lowering springs manufactured by H&R, Eibach, etc?

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by wmealer View Post
    Considering a purchase ... Would these be ok to use on a lowered car? Lowering springs manufactured by H&R, Eibach, etc?
    These would be just like the OEM Genuine BMW replacements. In that regards they are best suited for OEM springs but assuming the lowering springs you plan on using with them are a mild drop over stock (like an H&R sport or similar) you should be able to use these with lowering springs without much of a problem.

My Cars
    E82, E71, 1996 318ti M
    Thanks for the quick response. Just put in my order ... Used the October loyalty code for $25 off!

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by wmealer View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. Just put in my order ... Used the October loyalty code for $25 off!
    Absolutely, no problem. I saw your order come through. Thank you for your business!

My Cars
    (5) 850Ci, E9,SL65,911S
    Will these be a direct replacement without modification for the E31s with the Electronic Dampening Control (EDC) like on my later M73 E31s??

Obviously the electronic system will no longer work...

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by execmalibu View Post
    Will these be a direct replacement without modification for the E31s with the Electronic Dampening Control (EDC) like on my later M73 E31s??

Obviously the electronic system will no longer work...
    Correct. EDC will no longer work if you put these in place of the EDC parts.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    So are these all gone now? I had one of my customers order a set too.

My Cars
    BMW 850
    I have a set of these, just received from FCP, I have not installed as yet. A friend of mine has ordered a set, and is quite inpressed. So glad I did not have to use Bilstein.

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    So are these all gone now? I had one of my customers order a set too.
    As of now we still have 4 sets of the inserts and 4 sets of the rear shocks in stock. Technically 3 sets if you count that 1 set if each is currently assigned to an order that come in this evening. We have also put a PO in for another 20 sets. Hopefully those will come in quick.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thelongeride View Post
    I have a set of these, just received from FCP, I have not installed as yet. A friend of mine has ordered a set, and is quite inpressed. So glad I did not have to use Bilstein.
    Fantastic news! I wasnt aware that this option was available until I came in and saw both sets on my desk with a request to grt them on the site ASAP. I'm glad I did.

My Cars
    '97 840Ci, '02 X5 4.6is
    Quote Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
    These inserts come with a spacer that works with the factory gland nut. The key to installing the front strut cartridges is they require the factory gland nut. When removing the the gland nut just make sure not to butcher it up too badly.
    Will it work with Bilstein nut?
    WBR, Tony

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1173 View Post
    Will it work with Bilstein nut?
    It might. I know the Bilstein gland nuts have a wide opening to accommodate the larger diameter shock shaft.

My Cars
    1994 840i
    Can anyone who has installed these give some feedback on how they are on the car?

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Zohar View Post
    Can anyone who has installed these give some feedback on how they are on the car?
    Most of the orders I see on these have been placed within the last 36 hours. I too would like to hear of some results and feedback on these as well.

- - - Updated - - -

On a separate note we still have stock on the strut sets and shock sets. As of now there are 2 sets of the inserts and 3 sets of the rear shock absorber sets in stock. We placed an order for more to come in from Europe but likely won't see these again until mid December.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I had to cut off the gland nuts to replace TRW inserts, is there a tool that is designed to make the original gland nut removal easy?? It seems like if the there is even a little bit of corrosion, no amount of hitting of pipe wrenching works.. Only the cutting wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by FCPGroton View Post
    Good question. Yes, this would be a direct fit with no modification required to the strut tubes. These inserts come with a spacer that works with the factory gland nut. The key to installing the front strut cartridges is they require the factory gland nut. When removing the the gland nut just make sure not to butcher it up too badly.

In regards to these being re branded Gabriel's; I'm honestly not sure. I know that TRW did acquire Gabriel in 2010/2011. It's completely possible that TRW is manufacturing for themselves and Gabriel in this case. I went to Gabriels website and used their tech catalog. The design looks similar, twin tube gas style insert with the adapter plate for install.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the orders guys!!!

Looks like we currently have 5 sets of the front inserts in stock and 5 sets of the shock absorbers in stock!

My Cars
    BMW 850CSi
    Not sure of an available tool, but yes, their removal requires cutting them off most of the time....
    Last edited by Dr. T; 11-25-2015 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    Im going to be doing this also. I don't think I can reuse the Bilstein gland nut due to its size. I think the only replacement is the gland nut from e34. They have become enormously expensive at $50 usd per nut!!! Cheapest I could find from gault

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    Dragon850 do you plan on using the nut from the e34 or do you have another solution?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Used the E34 gland nut : https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31321129196/ES50205/

Would the Bilstein gland nut tool work for removing OEM gland nut and re installing E34 gland nut? Hate using odd tools like plumber wrench to do specific jobs...

- - - Updated - - -

Cool! What do you guys think of using this tool? Would it work??
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/8600-ADJUSTA...269145&vxp=mtr

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    The bistein tool will not work on factory gland nut. I hate using inappropriate tools too believe me. That e34 gland nut was only $ 20 last year. I think they raised the price knowing that we can now install TRW lol. I'm installing my rears tommorrow than ordering the e34 nuts for the front. So no problems using the e34 nut? I grabbed the whole set of trw's for 180 shipped from fcp Euro! Clearanced for some reason. That's a steal

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    There is a tool Mayb from zdmak tools or elsewhere to properly install the e34 nut. It has special pins to engage the gland nuts holes.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by mac840 View Post
    The bistein tool will not work on factory gland nut. I hate using inappropriate tools too believe me. That e34 gland nut was only $ 20 last year. I think they raised the price knowing that we can now install TRW lol. I'm installing my rears tommorrow than ordering the e34 nuts for the front. So no problems using the e34 nut? I grabbed the whole set of trw's for 180 shipped from fcp Euro! Clearanced for some reason. That's a steal
    Yeah worked fine. Take a look at the link I posted for ebay tool, what do you think?
    Yeah those gland nuts should not be $55 ea!

My Cars
    1995 840 ci
    That looks like it might work. Sure

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast