Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 1997 328iC - New Acquisition

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonbz View Post
    Be sure to drain the fluid and put in that good shit just incase (obviously but I just thought id mention it lol)
    The diff came without the output flanges so it was already drained. The holes were plugged and the diff was wrapped up so no debris got in.

Now I need to find some flanges.

My Cars
    E21 320i, 300CE
    did you hook up the hardtop electrical/connectors for the defrost and light? could you post a picture showing where and how?

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by zeezo85 View Post
    did you hook up the hardtop electrical/connectors for the defrost and light? could you post a picture showing where and how?
    I have not tried to re-connect the defrost and/or light for the HT.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    Picked up this ///M wheel last night. Not positive on how the connectors will go on the current column but I can probably figure it out. This may help: http://www.frankies-bmw.com/3series/...ring_wheel.php

Looks to have a "111" slip ring and these 2 connectors are present:

New here and have been enjoying following your thread. You've definitely made a lot of progress on the car. I bought this same steering wheel and was interested if you installed in yet. According to the link you referenced I only need to splice the brown horn wire to get it to work on my '94. The rest should be plug and play using the M3 slip ring, switch bracket and wire connectors. I used the leatherique restoration kit and my air brush to restore the dye/black finish. I was pleased with the results and look forward to swapping it in.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    New here and have been enjoying following your thread. You've definitely made a lot of progress on the car. I bought this same steering wheel and was interested if you installed in yet. According to the link you referenced I only need to splice the brown horn wire to get it to work on my '94. The rest should be plug and play using the M3 slip ring, switch bracket and wire connectors. I used the leatherique restoration kit and my air brush to restore the dye/black finish. I was pleased with the results and look forward to swapping it in.
    I have not yet installed the wheel, unfortunately.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    Any more recent updates?

I got my M50 manifold fitted finally - I didnt use any of the kits... I had a spare M52 manifold knocking around, so I physically cut the bottom section (where all the pipework attaches) of that out and had it attached to the M50 manifold for a direct 'plug and play' - this type of conversion seemed to be more popular amongst German modifiers. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of the modifications, but here is an after pic...

The engine seems stronger and more willing to rev, and combined with the K&N kit I have it sounds awesome. MPG also seems slightly better.

As previously mentioned in one of my earlier replies, I had considered converting my interior to full-on black.... well I managed to find a pair of late-spec Vader power seats in black. They're also heated, but somehow I don't think I'll need to make the heated seats work here in Thailand.

Unfortunately the leather on the seat bases is all hard, and the left-hand seat leather had disintegrated, and the side-bolsters are worn in places.

So I managed to source a couple of black nappa hides and I've stripped the seats ready for partial reupholstry.

The seats were originally from a left hand drive car but my car is right hand drive, so I also had to swap over the passenger airbag occupancy sensor mat.

It just goes to show there's always something to do to these cars

Sorry - I don't mean to hijack your thread, but seeing as we had discussed interiors before I just thought I'd share...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    So unfortunately not much to report. I am in the middle of a full bathroom renovation (relocating plumbing, down to the studs, all new floors, walls, shower, cabinets, counter, fixtures, etc.) and have not had much time to do anything with the car.

I did go yesterday and pick up some 98 M3 front sport seats (but from a sedan) to swap the leather onto my coupe/convertible seat pans/frames. My black covers on the seats that I got are in 5/10 shape at best, plus the recline gears are in need of replacement. I can swap these covers on while updating the mechanical parts.

My Cars
    1996 318i Convertible
    Great thread man keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    so what was the final result with the seller and paypal? nice work Patrick!

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by scooper View Post
    so what was the final result with the seller and paypal? nice work Patrick!
    So far, nothing. After October the legal statute of limitations has run out and the money (all of what PayPal refunded) is mine to keep, as he can't sue me. He would not win if he did but it would be one more headache.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Interesting option if I go with a Business CD or maybe use a Metra ASWC.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...wheel-retrofit

Also, I found some oddball flanges from a diff that I trashed. They fit in my M3 LSD but I don't have any idea if they are the right output flanges for the diff. At least they keep it clean in the meantime.

- - - Updated - - -

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    First off, I apologize for this being posted in parts. I changed jobs and the IT policies are different at the new organization, blocking file sharing sites (including photobucket) so I can post my text but I have to go back later and post the photos.

That said, I have made some progress, but have had some setbacks as well. I have been renovating my bathroom all summer (~300 square feet, full to-the-studs renovation with moving plumbing and fixtures) so progress on the car has been slow. On a positive note, I have driven my e30 convertible nearly every day for the last 6 weeks and have only closed the top 2x in that time period.

I'll call that a win in my book.

Not much going on. So far I have figured out the issue with my HID wiring and remedied that (no pictures) and managed to identify the issue with my starter...the stupid thing was not seated properly after the clutch was done. The shop that did the work is an embarrassment to shops everywhere. I have photos and will post later but since I have to remove the IM to replace or properly seat the starter I am at a standstill for the moment.

I also found some flanges that fit the LSD that I got a while back. not sure if they are right for the e36 or not but for now they keep the insides clean.

I ordered all of the necessary parts to properly complete the accelerator assembly. $52 in parts later the spring assemble should be 100% complete and new.

I am also embarking on the seat swap process this week. I was working on my e30 seats (pretty easy) and the e36 do not look much worse. I have WAY too many seats and seat parts around so I need to get these consolidated and get some seats in the car.

Here are the seat pan pins that were $0.40 each with $6 shipping...

I needed those to start swapping seat parts.
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 09-12-2016 at 08:16 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Convertibl
    Cool thread. I swear this car looks similar to one I'm seeing on Craigslist in Martinsburg. I'm in Charles Town, and have just started researching an e36 convertible purchase.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by gmhowell View Post
    Cool thread. I swear this car looks similar to one I'm seeing on Craigslist in Martinsburg. I'm in Charles Town, and have just started researching an e36 convertible purchase.
    I had not seen that one. What are/were they asking? This one was in Berryville.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Convertibl
    My bad, it was in Winchester. $2k, needs at least top rear plastic, and some sort of interior work.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    My bad, it was in Winchester. $2k, needs at least top rear plastic, and some sort of interior work.
    I went looking and saw that one today.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i Convertibl
    How did it look? Was that a manual or automatic?

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    How did it look? Was that a manual or automatic?
    I should have clarified - I want on CL and looked at the ad. Not at the car itself.
    Last edited by phenryiv1; 09-19-2016 at 10:10 AM.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    Are are these solely for the seat tray? Or do the back panels also have pins? I'm taking mine apart for a re-dye and cannot determine from realoem exactly how the trays and back panels are fastened to the seats. Looks like two screws and two pins for the base trays, but not sure for the panels.

Quote Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
    I am also embarking on the seat swap process this week. I was working on my e30 seats (pretty easy) and the e36 do not look much worse. I have WAY too many seats and seat parts around so I need to get these consolidated and get some seats in the car.

Here are the seat pan pins that were $0.40 each with $6 shipping...

I needed those to start swapping seat parts.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    Are are these solely for the seat tray? Or do the back panels also have pins? I'm taking mine apart for a re-dye and cannot determine from realoem exactly how the trays and back panels are fastened to the seats. Looks like two screws and two pins for the base trays, but not sure for the panels.
    Seat tray/pan only. I don't see any reference to the back having the same type of fastener.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    BIG progress this weekend, despite a setback.

if you have read this thread to this point you probably noticed that I (for some reason) took the path of most resistance to get to where I am. In the end, had I just kept saving cash, I could have a relatively well-sorted turnkey convertible by now. The minor body issues, interior changes, and even the individual issues and costs associated with the "fixes" to my interior work all add up (with the cost of the car) to a pretty nice 328iC or even M3 convertible in driving condition, already sorted.

Unfortunately, I don't tend to function like that.

For example, I bought a black interior from a forum member, only to find it was not as complete as I was originally led to believe (not totally his fault, but...). In that interior, the seats were far from perfect. The rear seat still needs to be re-stitched or re-stretched (or both) and the front seats were a bit tired. Plus they lacked heat. I bought the black seats mostly for the frames, because the bases in my car are tan and I wanted black bases, and they had to be from a coupe/convertible.

My solution: Buy more seats. So I bought 2 black M3 front sports seats with heat, but they were from a sedan, so I would need to swap skins onto frames. Should be easy, right? No chance.

Because of my picture-posting issues, I won't try to post all of the pictures form the swapover of the driver's seat, but upon tearing into the coupe driver's seat frame I found this:

I was told that I needed only a new recline gear. This looks SLIGHTLY more significant than that.

I will detail the procedure later but I eventually ended up here, after disassembling a total of 4 seats:

My Cars
    1998 E36 m3 convertible
    I see you have a hardtop as well. I re-built all gasket around the hardtop and my gasket around the door frame, but still leaks at the front windshield pillars. I set the brackets for the rear mounting location to the upmost front without any more movement forward, but still leaking. Any suggestions? Thanks,

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangboy0212 View Post
    I see you have a hardtop as well. I re-built all gasket around the hardtop and my gasket around the door frame, but still leaks at the front windshield pillars. I set the brackets for the rear mounting location to the upmost front without any more movement forward, but still leaking. Any suggestions? Thanks,
    I have not really fooled with the hardtop. I removed it once and re-installed it after doing the interior swap. So far no leaks (knock on wood) but I don't know why/where they tend to leak.

My Cars
    318IC, X5, 996,Ridgeline
    Somewhere I saw a small thin rubber/plastic part that slipped in under the gasket on the outside top. I think it was to push out the gasket a small amount to seal it. I do not have them on mine.
    It is kinda funny but my soft top does not leak, my hard top does. At the top corners where the glass, hardtop and windshield all come together.
    If I know there is going to be rain, I bring two towels and put them on the front two seats where the drip would happen.
    It is what it is.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast