Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My 1997 328iC - New Acquisition

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    Snagged a few parts over black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Clutch stop (just a generic eBay one).

Motorsport Hardware wheel stud kit and fancy lugnuts:

http://motorsporthardware.com/

Garagistic Differential stud kit:

http://garagistic.com/index.php

- - - Updated - - -

A little more on the seat repair:

After finding that the back of the black sedan seat was destroyed I removed the back of the coupe/convertible seat that came in the car.

It looks racked but is actually straight.

I relocated the lever and cable assembly to work properly on the coupe base.

All of the leather and foam was transferred from the sedan seats to the coupe frames

More end result:

I started the same process on the passenger side but have not completed it due to needing to test the heating function.

The passenger airbag module is also proving to be a PITA to transfer.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    So a LOT has happened on the E36 since the last update. I can't access file sharing sites at work so I can't update my thread there and I end up forgetting that I have a post to make.

Anyway...

I got tired of the starter being a piece of shit and having to move the car by pushing it. The PO had done a bang-up job of finding a shitty mechanic to do the trans work and his re-install of the starter was par for the course. I finally had it towed to a local independent shop to have the starter installed.

The car was good to go to drive home but I had issues with the seat not being adjustable. After re-covering it in black, the driver's seat went in last fall but I discovered that the PO of the seat was partially right. After he told me that it needed a recline gear but I found the busted frame, I never checked the recline gear after I swapped the frames. Come to find out: the recline gear was also busted.

At this point my hatred of power seats was confirmed and I sought out some manual bases. Long story short I picked up a set and started the transfer process. For now, just pictures (for the most part) but I will add some captions later.

The seller of my E61 has a bunch of parts cars and manual seats are not really in demand.

Got them home and started removing the controls form the tan seat pans:

EVERYTHING was stripped...

Progress!

Done!

At this point I basically repeated the process from last fall/winter but on manual frames.

I also did the passenger side so some of those pictures are mixed in. The only difference on that side is the occupancy sensor.

My Cars
    '89 325iC, '97 328iC
    AND...I tried to save my rear seat. Not very successful but I tried to sew it back together. The leather has simply shrunk too much.

In the end I should have bought an aftermarket kit rather than to try to cobble together an interior from all of the cars that contributed to what I have. Still not a great interior and I probably have a cost that is close to something from a site like leatherseats and the time and complexity are tipping the wrong way. Plus it is all...used.

I cleaned and conditioned it with Lexol

Started the disassembly (as minimal as possible) of the seat back:

This was as tight as I could get the top of the rear seat without tearing the leather, even after multiple conditioning applications.

I did get the rear headrests added:

As I went to re-install I noticed that one of the rear belt receptacles was bad...

Sourced a new one on the Facebook group:

Installed:

Rear went in, however:

No surprise, the "rear" headrests that were sold to me as a part of the interior conversion were not from a convertible...

- - - Updated - - -

More front seat assembly and install pictures:

And installed!

- - - Updated - - -

Last update for now:

Found some rust in the battery tray when I went to install a new battery. Boo!

POR15 to the rescue!

Also discovered this crack in the door handle. Had to order a new un-keyed lockset and will be transferring over my old cylinder. Hopefully this won't be too bad but I will be replacing the door handle rubber at the same time. THEN I can finally install my door panels.

Also painted my mirrors, since one was faded badly and the other was scratched up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234