Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    let me know when someone clones this: http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ercharger.html

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by Chapel View Post
    let me know when someone clones this: http://www.eurosporthighperformance....ercharger.html
    Apples to oranges.
    That Eurosport kit = complete bespoke intake manifold with integrated water-air intercooler plus an expensive aftermarket-only twinscrew supercharger = $$$. Cloning the manifold alone would cost far, far more than simply buying Eurosport's kit.

This Hyde DIY kit/design = stock everything plus inexpensive OEM-production roots supercharger = $. I'm honestly spending less on the supercharging setup than my Mishimoto setup.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    I know... I just REALLY want that Eurosport kit... Mostly because it's a twin-screw.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    The thing about both roots and twinscrew compressors is their bulky box shapes usually require them to replace entire intake manifolds.

Hyde's remote mount design that retains nearly the entire stock induction side is only feasible because the SC14 is a very compact unit, I doubt there's any twinscrew on the market that could pull that off.

The trade-off is that intercooling isn't very feasible, so boost is going to stay low. Roots are the least efficient compressor, but they are rugged and simple.

My car's M50b25tu is a major reason I picked up my dreadful-condition POS E36, it's a wonderfully flexible and peppy little motor. I'm looking forward to giving it a healthy low-end power bump with this Very Budget Supercharger.

Once I get any real progress I plan to start a Build Thread.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    yeah, the SC14 is a compact unit designed for 1.2-1.8L engines though. It doesn't flow a lot of CFMs at all.

Those chargers are VERY old school... not even a twisted vane setup

or if you can find a really short drive nose for an Eaton M62 or M90... the entire USA is in business
    http://www.3800supercharger.net/

we can yank those superchargers out of about 20 cars per yard
    Last edited by Chapel; 05-02-2016 at 01:30 PM.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Hmm..That was on the list, one of the reasons to bring the V2 Brackets were well..in a few generations I plan to inorporate eatons & then ken bell. but that will require a lot of time in R&D.

the sc14 isn't bad really, they came off 2.4L toyota engines, quite some holden boys put them on their 3.8l motors, boost is low with stock pulley, but can be upped, intercooler or water injection pre & post blower would really if pushing the blower beyond its limits. the sc14 is rated around 1460cc where the eaton m90 is some 1500cc, and the m62 around 1000cc if i remember right? thing is, the eatons twisted vane,lobe setup is 20% or more efficient.
    Last edited by MisterM52; 05-02-2016 at 04:34 PM.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    You guys got the M62 and M90 over there in the VS/VT/VX/VY Commodores

My Cars
    One Too Many
    yep, and those two go for around 1k - 2k in pricing.... how much do you guys pay for them?
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    bout tree fiddy

They're dirt cheap in the yards here.

On a more serious note, about $75-200 for a yard pick M90
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Po...1Wr1Zx&vxp=mtr

Double that for a reman

If I could find a way to slap an M90 on my M52 I'd be in heaven. I love me some Eatons

Toyota also sold an M62 Eaton supercharger kit for some of their later 3.xL V6s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-4RUNN...RXFkFY&vxp=mtr

You could also get the M112 here on Mustangs and F150s
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-2004-Fo...9XCPOj&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2000-Fo...RWpALT&vxp=mtr

The nice thing about the M112, is you could run that thing on a 2.xL engine at like 5-6psi and get HUGE power because of the CFM you're flowing.

You could get them with 3 different lengths of snouts -

I've seen M90s with SUPER short snouts

These came out of the Jaguar XJR-6

If I were doing a Supercharger kit for a BMW, I'd replicate this:

Last edited by Chapel; 05-02-2016 at 07:17 PM.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Thanks man.

Full disclosure, I have had already kept the ideas in my head on how to mount it to the M52 while keeping the stock manifolds, but the great costs of these things (down here at least) has kept be away since most people cant afford a 2K blower. So my sales would be not good in NZ, But if I find a market in US and aboard where these blowers are cheap then it might be feasible.

Actually I will keep you and you in mind, if the prices are that low in the US, I might get a small snout M90 or M122 or sent down to me, even after shipping it may be worth a lot less then buying one here. Biggest issue with these eatons is well the snout is usually too long! So makes a PITA for piping. Might actually figure out a way to create a adapter plate based on the V2 Designs while having to borrow the rears off the V1, But rest assure, It is doable but now is not the time.
    Last edited by MisterM52; 05-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Eaton sells short snouts like that for most of their superchargers.

This isn't necessarily directed at you specifically, just for anyone looking to make a DIY supercharger kit.

My Cars
    One Too Many

Thumbs up Update!

Hey Guys, a little update.

The V2 35 Page Installation Guide in PDF is Available Now for Public Download!

It incorporates an addition of the Installation Instructions for the V2 Simple Brackets as well as revision of many notes.

m52supercharged.wordpress.com/installation-guide

Also V1 to V2 Pulley Wrap Plate diagrams available for Public Download.
    This is for past V1 users wanting to use the same V2 Belt Orientation and 2nd Pulley Wrap, as shown earlier. You can find the full sized image back in my blogs download section with the guide.

Special Thanks to GearGrinder & Philly98540 and all others in the Force Induction Topic of Belt Slips where they gave me the whole idea of having a secondary pulley for added belt wrap = more power transmission, that was the turning point of me adapting this concept along with a few new ones.

Enjoy!

Note About Eatons

I have also been looking into the Eaton Superchargers. And truth be told I am not impressed with the M90, specially the early generations that are readily available in the US as one poster above mentions.

Looking at a few charts it seems they flow around around 650 ~ CFM at optimal efficiency(?) which is pretty much SC14 Range...

So although with the help of my US Partners, The V2 designs may be eventually used to come up with a Eaton Mounting System, I think anything below the M112 or M122 would be a Side Grade (than a Upgrade) to the SC14. But whatever Supercharger is more readily available and Eatons are somewhat more efficient then the SC Unit, it may be eventually worked on, However a real system I have in mind would be Ken Bells and Whipple and Other Larger Blowers. But that is perhaps in the distant Future.

Thanks for all your support guys and wish you the best.

- Hyde
    Last edited by MisterM52; 05-09-2016 at 07:50 AM.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Thanks for update!

Are these the fuel injectors you are using?
    https://www.fuelinjectorconnection.c...osch-36lb.html
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Yea Josh, those are the ones alright, Genuine too since no second groves. However I paid only around $120 for mine shipped, were second hand but good stuff, better get a tune if using them as they need to be coded into your dme else you will not be able to use them and the car wont be revving past 5K. But first I suggest to go with the stock setup (injectors) with the stock pulley setup on the motor/sc that way you stay under 5 psi.
    Last edited by MisterM52; 05-09-2016 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i

Hmm. I'll need to look into the m90 more. The SC14 should be worse. It's a 2 vane design vs a 3 and is a little smaller. The M90 is designed for 2.5 to 4.0L.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/Y4sAuBH
    Last edited by Chapel; 05-09-2016 at 11:22 PM.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    ^ That might be true for the latest generations however the Eaton although is a better design yet most of the earlier ones that you can pick from yards at least and more widely available, the efficiency seems to drop like a rock after 12,000 RPM on both of them, Unless you want to do some water/meth injection.

The SC14 has a Displacement of 1460cc while the M90 has around 1499cc. Dont see how thats good for 4L Engines, But people down here as you know use the SC14's on their Ford and Holden 3.8 V6 Motors a lot, but IMHO Eaton is a better design, no doubt, but both of them are too small for V8's and 4L Motors. They both go fine upto 3L Motors and really fine under 2L Motors.. But wanting high boost or power should be left with the larger Eaton M112 or SC20/TX20 types. I would much prefer to take this project eventually into Larger Eatons and Ken Bell Types with the help of a few from this board if I see enough support.
    Last edited by MisterM52; 05-10-2016 at 01:19 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    It came standard on the 3.8L series 3 v6

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Wouldn't know if standard since lots of people on the aussi holden forums go around installing these on the L36 and other poorlyu made 3.8L V6's. The whole SC14 market is based around Holdens around here, it used to be their staple last decade on the 3.8L V6's. I have seen a few that have the factory Eaton, but they are still early generations and the motor itself is poor 2 valve motors which barely make 150rwkw with motor work.

But anyhow, this topic is not about Eatons, its about my custom supercharger bracket designs, which we are using SC14's for now, now I have taken your input into account and have expressed having already plans to expand upon Eatons and bigger blowers in the future if I have more spare time. However as of now to be back on the subject, I'd appreciate it if we can keep it on topic. Thanks

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    let me know if you make a thread for the Eaton stuff.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Well I am waiting on that red convert guy above to make up his mind about his russian body kit, then we could go into joint production of these.

Basically to mount an eaton you'd use the Bottom portion of my V2 Bracket System, then combine that with the V1 Bracket Systems rear portion, then add a riser plate and a flat mount which would be where the eaton sits and align it from there on. Of course this is in theory, there will be likely another hundred man hours and $$$$ spent to finalize the eaton bracket system for the M5X motors, but it can (and with the support of a few good men, will indeed) be done, also one other thing is I would like to keep my designs backward compatible to a degree so older customers can eventually buy addons and use newer bigger blowers...thats the plan but just not right now or anytime soon. But thanks for your support...

Anybody else interested in some white prints, let me know.

My Cars
    1995 325i BMW Sedan
    First off thank you for making this thread! I have been wanting to add some extra hp to my 328is. If you could send me the whitepages just over email or whatever that sounds great! I guess the only other problem is tuning it. What is your plan for tuning? Maybe miller performance war room chip?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Well I am waiting on that red convert guy above to make up his mind about his russian body kit, then we could go into joint production of these.

Basically to mount an eaton you'd use the Bottom portion of my V2 Bracket System, then combine that with the V1 Bracket Systems rear portion, then add a riser plate and a flat mount which would be where the eaton sits and align it from there on. Of course this is in theory, there will be likely another hundred man hours and $$$$ spent to finalize the eaton bracket system for the M5X motors, but it can (and with the support of a few good men, will indeed) be done, also one other thing is I would like to keep my designs backward compatible to a degree so older customers can eventually buy addons and use newer bigger blowers...thats the plan but just not right now or anytime soon. But thanks for your support...

Anybody else interested in some white prints, let me know.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by unashamed fisch View Post
    First off thank you for making this thread! I have been wanting to add some extra hp to my 328is. If you could send me the whitepages just over email or whatever that sounds great! I guess the only other problem is tuning it. What is your plan for tuning? Maybe miller performance war room chip?
    Miller War chip is OBD1 only, and also self-tune DIY only, but your OBD2 car will have more tuning options.

I'm in discussion with a couple tuners about remote tuning my OBD1 2.5 setup, and have been investigating self-tuning tools. Either way is more money sunk into the car.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by unashamed fisch View Post
    I have been a bit busy with my car, my door handle broke and took be weeks to source out replacements and now trying to fit everything right, a few clients were delayed, I haven't even responded to some of my emails. For tuning if you are keeping under 5 PSi then just use a AFR & FPR to tune it to your liking with the stock injectors. But with more power comes more costs and fine tuning may be required. JEC928 up there is a good source as well as a few in this forum..Any how I will be sending out a few to new clients, if you send me your email and address I can have a set sent to you, but do understand I ask for a small tribute, some pay me, some dont, but Its appreciated if you do, I'll send it off either way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    Miller War chip is OBD1 only, and also self-tune DIY only, but your OBD2 car will have more tuning options.

I'm in discussion with a couple tuners about remote tuning my OBD1 2.5 setup, and have been investigating self-tuning tools. Either way is more money sunk into the car.
    Hows you build coming friend? I have a local here whos installing the V2 in his M54. Flick me a email sometime, or if you need anything.

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterM52 View Post
    Hows you build coming friend?
    My E36 build is on hold pending some life stuff.

Broke a water pump stud off, so need welder. Have blown out RTABS so need complete 96+ M3 rear suspension swap (naturally) which requires a pickup truck to obtain. Once my house sale closes I get welder and truck, so work resumes on project car.

Tuning this not-off-shelf configuration of OBD1 (clunky 413 DME that requires chip swap) M50b25tu with 5psi roots and 24/32lb injectors is going to be difficult and expensive, and quite frankly may torpedo this budget supercharging attempt. Note that I am not considering boosting with the stock M50 injectors because every calculation I run comes up with a number much bigger than 17.5 lb.

Tuner A wants $900 plus deposit for OBD2 emulator for datalogging road runs and multiple dyno runs (haven't gotten local quotes for that but I expect it to be very expensive).
    Tuner B wants $650 plus I have to spend roughly $1000 on my own datalogging equipment.
    Self-tuning (Megasquirt or Miller WARchip) requires their prices plus same datalogging equipment.
    Finally, all choices require significant time investment that I may not have due to work and family. So while I haven't officially pulled the plug on it, I'm having doubts.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Sad to hear of your issues, what I would suggest as a tried and tested method on the cheap would be to simply use the M52 Injectors, an AFR Gauge and a Variable Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator to play the AFR mix right, to be honest under 5PSI these cars adapt well, which has been proven before in our own trials over the years. And for Chiptunes there are a few people I could recommend, Endtuning and Fekzen could likely offer chiptuning and remote tuning on the cheap. There is no need for the complex tuning at this beginner point. Its something that comes as you gradually want to increase the power and up the boost. Just follow the templates and put the blower on, and run it and see how it copes, it has been run on a stock M50 Before, all stock is not bad under 5 PSI really.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast